OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR on an M4?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugly eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR on an M4?
    Posted: August/18/2007 at 18:13
Does anyone have any experience using an IOR 4x24 or a 6x30 on an M4? How does it compare with an ACOG? Getting ready for another deployment and looking for some good optics options at my own expense. Thanks!
Well he should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.
- Will Munny, Unforgiven
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 18:23

Welcome to The OT.

Give koshkin a PM. He's the go to IOR guy around here.

Thank you for your service and Godspeed. 

ugly eddie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugly eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 20:34

Let me add some more info for my post...

I have looked over the issue ACOGs and my aging eyes find the reticle a little hard to read, and wishing for a bit more magnification. I'm looking for something to put on an M4 for Afghanistan where you can see for half of forever, with high winds and tons of mirage. My first trip in 2002, I used a borrowed Springfield Armory 4-14x G'ovt Model which I never actually had a chance to zero to my satisfaction. I used the thing to watch people manning a machine gun position at 850+ yds (no way in hell I could have hit them) with the 14x feature which was pretty nice, and it made a nice impromptu spotting scope. I carry a compact pair of 8x binos on my IBA. I guess I'm looking for a compact fixed power 4x or 6x with an easy to read BDC reticle for an M4 shooting M855 62gr. Thanks for any help and advice!

HOOAH!!

ugly eddie

Well he should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.
- Will Munny, Unforgiven
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 08:53
several 1 thru 5s exist that are just what your looking for, leo 1.5x5,uso sn4 and ior 1x5. leos uses 2.5moa reticle with circle illumination, and a bdc for 62 gr, uso a chevron with a built in ranging grid, and ior which looks like an outstanding reticle (haven't got or used this one). have an acog and shoot it on an ar 308, the right part of the visual field is "fuzzier" than the left as per instruction manual. the leo and the uso (probably the ior) has much more eye relief than the acog.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 09:51

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 18:31
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 18:47

if you interested in how the Leo sits on a gun

special purpose reticle only comes on the 1.5x5 and is reason enough to get the scope, haven't used the ior in the CQ reticle but koshkin says it is thicker and likes it better (whod a guessed). picked the leo for the finer and BDC m2-- for a little longer shooting.

Edited by Dale Clifford
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 19:01

And, finally.  Here is what I bought in case I get deployed to the box again.  It's the bomb.  No illum, but bulletproof.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10198-292-ior-6x42-tactical-30mm-rifl e-scope.aspx

Weighs 16 ounces.  Beautiful scope.  You can see 1000 meters clear as a bell.  You may think it is big for the M4, but who the hell cares?

Edited by army_eod
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 20:45

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 16:24
If you decide to go with a 6x scope, I think IOR 6x42 with the MP-8 reticle is an awesome choice.

IOR M2 6x30 scope is a nice design, but with a 5mm exit pupil, it may not be optimal for low light shooting.  However, depending on your age, 5mm may be all that you can use anyway.  When I have played with it, I thought that it was good enough for anything except for the darkest time of night, but that is really an individual choice.  The advantage of the 6x30 is that it is available with a couple of different reticles (NATO and CQB, and I prefer the CQB one myself) and with a BDC set up for M855 ammo.

Having said that, a variable may offer more versatility, but a lot depends on the application.  For CQB, Eotech is still the best way to go, but adding a miniature Docter-type sight on top of the regular scope may be a good way to go as well.

I am not sure what you budget is, but if you can swing a 2-12x32 IOR, you will be getting a truly versatile optic.  I have one and it is awesome for nearly any use other than CQB.  At truly close distances, even at 2x, it is just not as fast as a good red-dot or holographic sight.  However, for anything longer than that it works very well, despite the modest objective size.

IOR's 4x24 is a nice little scope, but it is an older design, so when you adjust W/E knobs, the reticle moves in the field of view.  Personally, I like my reticle centered, so using a 4x24, for me, often involves using an adjustable mount.  Otherwise, the glass is very good and the adjustments are accurate.  I would suggest a version with CQB reticle.

Another very underrated IOR scope is a 3x25.  The glass is excellent and despite modest magnification you can resolve pretty distant objects with it.  Additionally, it comes with a built in mount and a rail that allows mounting a Docter-type sight on it.

All in all, it would be helpful to understand your budget limitation.  That would make recommending something that much easier.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugly eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 21:53

Thanks for the good advice. I am becoming more interested in the IOR 6x30 (but I'm still open to suggestion). I'm thinking fixed power with a BDC reticle might be the way to go for what I want (fast acquisition/less adjusting + distance capable, and made for M855). I like the ACOG concept, but not the cost, the reticle and the low magnification.

With the NATO reticle, it appears that you have to range find and then adjust the come-ups for elevation, is this right?

The CQB reticle comes with some type of mil stadia and some circles for range finding, could you tell me more about these?

I'm 43y/o and am 20/50 in my dominant right eye (probably one on the reasons I want more power). I want to see what I'm shooting. I noticed that the IOR is adjustable +/- 4 diopters which I could use to my benefit! I'm thinking that 5mm exit pupil will be adequate, besides We Own The Night! (translated: we have the best night vision toys) When I retire, forget golf, I want to shoot hipower, benchrest, and silhouette.

I also noticed that EOTech has a new sight, the 557 that comes with a BDC reticle for .223. It looks great, and might be a great choice, but without the magnification I like.

I'm not familiar with the Doctor-type sights, isn't it like an Aimpoint? I have seen some of the SOF guys M4 set-ups (with tandem M68 and EOTechs if I remember correctly), and I suppose that is what you are referring to.

Hey, thanks for the help guys!!

ugly eddie

- Will Munny, Unforgiven
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 22:41
Your vision is 20/50 corrected? or uncorrected?

The Super M2 6x30 scope can be had with knobs that are calibrated for M855 out to 800 yards.  As for the CQB reticle, I think there are two versions of it: "CQB 223" and "CQB".  I think all the current production IORs have the "CQB 223" version, which provides hashmarks on the reticle for holdover out to 500 yards, I believe.  Older style CQB reticle had generic mil and half-mil hashmarks.  You would need to confirm which version of the CQB reticle the 6x30 has.

Docter-type sights are miniature red-dot sights that only weigh an ounce or two.  Because of their small size, they can be mounted on top or onto the side of a regular scope, for close range work.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugly eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 21:39

20/50 uncorrected which is correctable to 20/20.

Is there anywhere that I can get details on the reticle specs?

Thanks!

ugly eddie

- Will Munny, Unforgiven
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 22:02

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 22:26
Originally posted by ugly eddie ugly eddie wrote:

20/50 uncorrected which is correctable to 20/20.

Is there anywhere that I can get details on the reticle specs?

Thanks!

ugly eddie

If you want reticle specs you can try IOR Valdada's website, but it is not entirely up to date.  They do have a picture of the original CQB reticle, but not the new one.  I have a couple of snapshots of the new CQB 223 reticle that I found on the web.  Personally, I prefer the older design with a thicker horseshoe, but both work pretty well.

Here are some pictures of IOR reticles:

Old style CQB reticle:

New CQB 223 reticle (there are holdover hashmarks out to 800 yards):

New CQB reticle illuminated in the dark (and 1.5-8x26 scope):

MP-9 Nato reticle (a simple and easy to use design, but I like the horseshoe of the CQB reticel a little more):

MP-8 reticle (this is my favourite allround precision shooting reticle):

ILya
bigant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 18:25

The 557 Eotech with the BDC for 223 should be out in Sept. and they have a 3x and 4x(coming at the same time) that has a flip the side mound so you can have cqb with you eotech and then flip to the optic. The optics are really clear. You need to read up on its specs to see if it fits your eyes.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugly eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2007 at 09:12
Will the 6x30 fit with the low rings on the M4?
- Will Munny, Unforgiven
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic