OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

WHICH GUN?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHICH GUN?
    Posted: August/18/2007 at 14:26
I am going to buy a new rifle and have decided to either go with a REMINGTON MODEL SEVEN CDL (7mm-08) or a REMINGTON SPS STAINLESS STEEL IN (270). I like the little MODEL SEVEN, I wanted a Mountain Rifle a few years back and never got one. I have always used wood stocked rifles but I am thinking I would better off with a synthetic stock with Stainless barrel for hunting. I am always trying to be too careful with my gun when stalking . Are there any problems with the REMINGTON SPS STOCKS that I should know about? Do these guns shoot as well or kick any harder than their wooden counterparts? I also looked at a WEATHERBY VANGAURD at the local Walmart yesterday and although a little longer and bulkier looking, it felt good and well ballanced and wonder if it would be a better choice than the SPS. Lastly, is Stainless better or worse than Blued steel? I have noticed on a lot of guns Ive looked at (mostly muzzleloaders) that were displays behind the counter had minor surface rust on them where as the blued barrels did not.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 18:55

Dave, only you can decide which model you should get based on what's important to you.  Of those two, I'd go with the 7-08, simply because I like the 7-08 cartridge and I don't like the .270, but that's me.

To answer your questions, no, there are no real "problems" with the Rem SPS stock, although I personally don't care for its appearance.  No, you probably wouldn't notice the difference in recoil between a synthetic and wood stocked rifle of similar weight in the same chambering.  Some claim that synthetic stocks soak up recoil better in spite of their usually lighter weight than wood, and I can see how that could be true, but I've never really noticed a difference.  As for how wood vs. synthetic stocked rifles shoot, factory rifle accuracy is a roll of the dice and you're just as likely to get a good one or a lemon wearing either stock.  A synthetic stock has the potential for more consistent accuracy because synthetic materials are more stable than wood, which can absorb moisture and move/warp.  Also, a synthetic stock often doesn't have a tendency to compress under action screw torque like a wood stock can, though that varies with the type of synthetic material.  A properly pillar- and glass-bedded wood stock will eliminate most of the problems inherent with a wood stock in terms of bedding stability.

As for whether stainless is "better" than blued chrome moly steel, that depends on your definition of "better."  Stainless definitely resists corrosion better than blued steel, but if neglected, stainless steel will rust.  I've often heard that a stainless barrel will resist throat and bore erosion better and therefore last longer, but I've never been able to prove that.  Some prefer the weather resistant properties, and overall resiliance against hard use of stainless and synthetic, others prefer the more traditional look and warmth of blued steel and walnut.  If you keep it wiped down with some sort of gun oil or grease, you can keep a blued rifle just as rust free as stainless.  I would say your style of hunting and the typical weather where you hunt would dictate which style of rifle is best for you.  Also, do you look at a rifle as merely a tool, meant to take abuse and come back for more, or do you want something that is both nice to look at as well as functional and are willing to baby it somewhat to keep it looking that way?

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 01:50
Dave..............I agree with Rifle Dude as to the appearance of the SPS stock on the Remington. There is something about that stock that just doesn`t appeal to me. Even though my first preference is .30 cal., of the two, I`d be inclined to go with the 7/08 as well. Also, I am a huge fan of the compact rifle concept because I own one. After many many years of using a full sized 300 Win. Mag. Vanguard, my new 5 month old 300 WSM compact certainly made a believer out of me, especially on my recent pig hunts. Big difference in the field as I shed about 2 1/2 lbs in weight, 9" in total length and due to the shorter barrel, only a 4 to 4.5%  velocity loss as compared with 24" barrelled 300 WSM`s. Of your two choices, based on my experience, I`d definitely go with a compact!.............Stainless or blued? That`s a toss up. I like both. Mine is blued and when in heavy cold weather this fall and winter, I`ll just put a thin coat of oil on the barrel. Simple and easy. Are you open to other possibilities besides Remington? Go to........shootingtimes.com......click on "long guns"; then scroll down to the title "short answer about scout styled rifles." That several page article by Dick Metcalf convinced me to try a compact. His test cartridge? A 7MM/08. Not only does he talk about the benefits of the compact, he also discusses the accuracy advantages of the shorter barrels, which you may find very very interesting. A great read!..............................Have fun choosing. Decisions! Decisions!.............................
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 09:03

short barrels give up nothing in the way of accuracy, anyone that has shot a lot of T/C pistol will attest to that. the 270 was developed long before the 7/08, and as much as I love the 270 the 7/08 is about as versatile as it gets. you may want to put a spacer in the stock to increase length of pull, depending on your size.

scout 7/08

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 16:39
Thanks guys, Ill probably go with a compact rifle just trying to decide on wood/blued or synthetic/stainless steel.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 17:57
the 7-08 is a great choice you know its going to be accurate you know its ammo is readily available at most stores and its a 7mm so if you reload you get a better selection of bullets to choose from. its already documented how i feel about the .270 so i wont get into that.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 19:02
Dave44.........................Like Dale`s in the photo, Savage makes excellent compacts. Remington of course in their Model 7`s. Weatherby makes a youth/compact version and l think also offers a 2nd bigger stock which is included in the price. Yep! You`ll need that should you grow!!!! Ruger with their Frontier compact, 16.5" barrel (the one I own in the 300 WSM). Those and maybe others are great choices in compacts......... It seems to me that these offerings, with a synthetic or laminated stock, only come with either the blued or matte barrels. The Ruger Frontier (Target Grey`s) are stainless with laminated stocks, but as far as I know, only available in the .338 Federal, the .358 Win. and possibly the .308. The Rugers are the only compacts that I`m aware of, available in stainless, but I may be wrong........ I personally would have preferred the look of stainless but, stainless was originally never an offering in the 300 WSM. That cartridge by the way, Ruger discontinued in their Frontier compact line. I guess I have a not so common a rifle or a rare bird!.....If you happen to find other manufacturers that make stainless,,,,please let me know!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 19:11
i think remington model 7 comes in a stainless option but its synthetic stocked.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 20:03
Just looked at the Remington website.............Camo stock, 20" stainless, available in 7/08..........The mags are in 22" only............Seems to me that when the barrel length exceeds 20"; the definition of a compact is lost a little?....If Remington made a camo in 300WSM with a stainless 20" or less barrel?? Wow!.....I`d consider selling my Ruger!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 20:42
see remington really screwed up when the whole wsm and rsaum thing started, if they were smart they wouldnt have wasted the money on the rsaum they would have waited and just chambered the wsm's at a later date. but know they had to do it too and while the ultra mags were worth while to do the rsaum's really were not.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 20:59
Remington had to follow Winchester`s lead and try their own shorty mags. Can`t blame em for trying though! Their camo in 22" is available in the 300 WSM....They need to shorten the barrel down to at least an 18"....That would get my attention!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 21:16
im not a scout type of guy although the ruger compact i had in a 7-08 was a cute little fart of a rifle.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 22:34
You might not be!........But in my case, if it`s shorter, lighter and performs like a long mag? I`ll take it! A 400 or 500 yard shot? I`ll take that shot! No problem!..........200 gr. Nosler A/B`s I chrono`d at 2828 fps.....Damn near 2000 ft. pds. of down range energy at 500 yards! Almost a ton? I`ll take that too from a shorty compact!!!!............
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 20:33
part of the whole "scout" setup that turns me off is the diet the rifle as a whole goes through when i am dealing with something that produces 3000+ ft Ilbs of energy when the trigger is pulled, i want all the weight i can get, at least when i am doing long bench sessions, out in the field of course you dont notice it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 21:16
Ok! So if the main complaint is recoil, that`s easy to solve! My Limbsaver slip on recoil pad works great......When I chrono`d my 200 gr. A/B`s, I took 40 rounds to the range wearing my Hawaiian shirt. Even though the recoil was violent with my light compact, at the end of the day and the following 2 days afterwards, I had no discomfort. I could have shot 80 rounds had more time and more ammo permitted me to do so!..... 3500 to almost 4000 lbs. of muzzle energy? Not a problem! Long bench sessions? Not a problem!....Recoil issues can be easily solved.....By the way, the "scout setup" refers more to the positioning of the scope, mounted forward of the action on the barrel, not the rifle itself.......I have both; a scout style EER scope and a conventionally mounted scope. My rifle becomes a scout type rifle only when I use the scout scope! Mounted conventionally, it`s just like any other rifle. Shorter perhaps, but regardless still a conventional bolt action rifle...........................  
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 21:34

The stainless model was replaced with  the new Remington Model 7's with the camo stock , Limbsaver, fluted barrel and Trynite coating--very cool. The stainless model is no longer cataloged. It's a bit more than the SPS stainless, but impervious to weather , a great size to carry, and tricked out.

Edited by martin3175
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 21:44
i put a limbsaver on my rifle and yeah i agree its managable recoil for you and me but its not going to be for everybody. plus i am thinking you wouldnt want that cannon setup in the conventional way, the scout setup probably keeps you from gettingthat

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 21:52

My Remington M7 SS is a .260 and handles like a dream. There is very low recoil and I think the 7mm-08 is probably a better choice.

Doug

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 21:53
sweet stick doug!! i want one too
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 22:08
Sorry Pyro.................No black eyes, scars or stitches with my conventionally mounted scope!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic