OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Product Idea or Stupid Idea?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Product Idea or Stupid Idea?
    Posted: August/18/2007 at 02:30

I will preface this by saying I'm an anal retentive, paper punching poser.  But some scopes, like the Nikon Monarch with the oversized target turrets turn me off becuase when using the scope in that fashion (without dust covers) as you have the turret threads exposed giving it an unfinished look. 

I want someone to make Turret Thread Protectors.. at least that is what I would call them.  Small rings of aluminum threaded like the dust cover that would hide/protect the threads when the dust cover is not in use.  They could have an up/down - right/left arrow on them.  How many different sizes of turret caps / thread patterns are there?? Seriously.. I don't know!  If more than a dozen it may not be viable but if only a dozen it seems you could sell them for $15 / $20 a set.

The principal purpose would be to give a more finished look to scopes when using them without the dust covers. For instance, compare the two pictures below.  The first is a burris with a Kenton and the second a Leupold with dedicated exposed target turret.   It may just be my pet peeve that the exposed threads look cheap.  Ok.. go ahead and tell me its late and I should go to bed.

Edited by Joe Williams
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 06:28

Exposed threads=tacky!

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 10:55

Boy have I got the scope for you:

LEU63125 Leupold 2.5-10x45 VX-7 30mm Riflescope                                                                                  Leupold 2.5-10x45 VX-7 30mm Riflescope
  • Satin
  • Boone & Crockett
  • 30mm
  • Xtended Twilight Lens
  • Free Alumina Flip-Back Lens Covers w/ Purchase
  • Free One-year Membership to Boone and Crockett Club's Associates Program w/ Purchase
SWFA: $1,499.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Joe Williams View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 17:59
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Um.... I don't get it.. why???

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 15:49
Hmmm. may have to get the lathe fired up again. List of things to make just keeps getting longer.... I like the idea, if for nothing else, just to protect those threads.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 16:25
Wouldn't mind having a set for my black diamond.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 16:25
Originally posted by Joe Williams Joe Williams wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Um.... I don't get it.. why???

It is basically your idea except the caps do not come off. They are on some kind of spring and pop up when loosened.

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 16:39
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Exposed threads=tacky!tal

Well, seriously, I think it would be a nice touch and would keep the threads from being gunked up with grit. I'd get some but am currently running scopes with target turrets that don't have covers.
Reaction time is a factor...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 17:12
This idea was kicked aroung on Snipershide last year. Don't know if you were the orginal poster, but you might want to do a search over there and see if you have any competition before jumping in.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 17:47
I think it's a good idea.  The etched directional arrows sounds good too, but it will be impossible to ensure that the arrows are always oriented toward the shooter when the rings are seated on the threads due to the fact the thread start and thread length will vary from scope to scope... if that's important. 
...unless you have a series of arrows and U/D, L/R lettering completely encircling the protector sleeves.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 19:32
Sounds like a great idea to me Excellent
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 21:03
So when that problem is solved what to do with my Swaro Balistic turrets?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 21:07
wow this is an old thread!
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 21:31
Hoooray for old threads....you could always use some thin peel washers or something similar to shim the thread protector up until the up and down are toward the shooter....and maybe add a vertical line for zero.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 22:20
sounds like one more thing to loose to me.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic