OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Victory (rephrased question)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Victory (rephrased question)
    Posted: August/17/2007 at 20:50
Is there going to be a noticeable difference in brightness, clarity, or anything else in the Zeiss Victory 3-12X56 or the 6-24X56 if you set them on the same magnification?  Does the extra magnification make the scope any less bright or clear?  Has anyone had experience with this scope and would like to make some comments on it for me?  Thanks.

Edited by TheDrakeTaker
Robert
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2007 at 21:17
DrakeTaker -

Considering that the objective lens for both of these scopes is the same size, differences in brightness will be affected based on the particular magnification.  Without going into too many details, you'll find the 3-12 to be brighter across its magnification range than the 6-24, particularly at higher powers.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 00:18
I know that from 13X on up to 24X that the scope will not be as bright as the 3-12X56 at it's upper range of 10-12, but if you set the 6-24X56 on 6X and set the 3-12X56 on 6X would there be a difference?  The same for like 8,10,12 X? 
Robert
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 09:17

I doubt you'll discern any difference between the two scopes when set at identical magnification.  Both are going to be VERY bright & clear.

Go with the 6x24 and don't look back.  That model is arguable one of the best scopes in the world.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 10:59
My guess is - Any difference that there might be at the same magnification should be so minor that you would not be able to detect it without highly sophistocated equipment. Sounds like a Koshkin question to me though.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 15:55
Generally, a 3-12x56 set at 10x, for example, should be a little better optically than a 6-24x56 set at 10x.

It is harder to make a higher magnification scope, so the lenses may be a little more complicated, and you may have to have a more complicated assembly in higher magnification scopes, i.e. an extra lens or two.

However, in case of two top notch scopes like Zeiss Victory, you would be very hard pressed to see the difference with a human eye, although it would be detectable with lab instrumentation.

With cheaper scopes it may more of a consideration, but with top end manufacturers, I do not think this is worth considering.

ILya
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 16:37

What are you going to use the scope for? 6 is kinda high for a walking around hunting scope on the other hand if it is a pure target scope for very long range you may want to think of a target scope like a 35X or 45 X scope used for benchrest at long distance. What kind of distance are you going to shoot with this scope? It might just be me but I have a difficult time holding a scope over 10 X without support, bench or bipod etc. Sometimes its better to have more than one scope for different types of shooting. I do and I use the Arms # 22 mount so I can quick change scopes and still be close to zero.

Duce  

Duce
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 22:43
I would probably be fine with the 3-12X56, it will be used for still hunting whitetail deer and hopefully some elk or muley hunting.  Most of the stands have potential shots out to 500 yards or so.  The reason I am considering the 6-24X56 is because at my club we have really strict rules for managing our herd.  It would be nice to zoom in and have a better look at a deer that is way out there, and to judge him better.  If I won't be able to tell any difference between the two scopes when set on the same magnification I would just assume go with the 6-24X56, the only reason I would not go with it is if the 3-12X56 was going to be noticeably brighter in the 10-12X magnification range.  So according to what has been posted, I will assume that they will be the same in that range as far as brightness and clarity goes.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks for the help.
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic