OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles CL 3-9x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles CL 3-9x42
    Posted: August/15/2007 at 20:18
I am  seriously considering purchase of this scope for my .30-06. I do not intend to get the multi-zero feature as it will be used almost exclusively for whitetails out to 300 yards.  I have a clarification and then a couple of questions:

1) Am I correct that the reticles are etched glass [good] and second focal plane [maybe good or bad]?

2) I'm concerned that the adjustable focus feature may be more trouble than it's worth, particularly in hunting situations.  I'd be curious as to what users of this scope think of this feature.

3) Am I correct in that the only recticles available for this are the 4a and plex?

Thanks much in advance.  If I don't get this, I will likely be getting the Swaro 1.7-10x42 Z6...

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 21:22
Yes ND you are correct about the reticles.They are etched and sfp.Plex and 4a have all i have seen offered in the CL line.I would already have one myself if it wasnt for the parralax feature because this concerns me also in just a hunting scope.You know they do make a 2x7x36 without the parralax feature but this is just a little small for me.I would like to hear some feedback too from people that have this scope and use it for hunting purposes.I know you mention the swaro Z6 but what about looking at the swaro american .This and the CL should be very close to each other and it doesnt have the side focus.

Edited by ronnie
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2007 at 07:32

I have owned the 50mm & 52mm CL models and can wholeheartedly recommend them for your applications.  I sold mine because I go through scopes pretty much yearly and at the time I found a rifle I just had to have!  Sold the two scopes to buy the rifle!

With this being said, I would not let the side focus feature bother you on this hunting scope.  The adjustment is simple are reliable.  I hunted deer, hogs and coyote with mine and never had an issue with this feature. 

From a performance standpoint, the CL line offers some very, very bright glass for low light conditions.  My 52mm model was indistinguishable from a 56mm Diavari I also owned when compared at dawn & dusk.  Yes, it was that good!  It also features a large field of view which is a huge selling point for a hunting scope. 

I'm going to have to buy two hunting scopes for this season come October.  I've already decided one will be a 7x56mm Meopta Meostar.  I'm leaning on buying another 52mm CL for my other rifle.  That's how much I like these Kahles scopes...

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2007 at 10:03

CL is great - BUT for a 30.06 i would go w/ the KX or the C series -

the side focus would probably just bother you.

they all have suppurb glass/coatings - C being the best between it and KX -

the KX is still TOPnotch glass.  and is wonderful for the money.

good luck - and i would recommend the #4 reticle for hunting deer - i love mine.

J

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2007 at 12:31

Thanks guys.  I think I can probably get by with the side focus for hunting...just set it at 100-150 and forget about it.  If not, I've got a couple of other guns it could go on.  I would get the 4a recticle.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic