OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Dura Coat for The first time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dura Coat for The first time
    Posted: August/15/2007 at 08:51

Okay here is my question.

I painted my stock, barrel, and action last night.the barrel and action did great. The paint on the stock seem to be brittle.it is a  synthetic stock.Dose anyone know what might have coused this? I painted all 3 items at the same time with the same mix of hardner and paint.This was just the base coat of mate Black.

Thanks for the help.

Big

Edited by Bigdaddy0381
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 09:41
0381, can you explain brittle.? Is the coating flaking off in "big" pieces.? Used Duracoat "once", on a synthetic stock. The stock needed to be prepped to a "VERY" coarse finish to promote adhesion. Its needs "alot of TOOTH" to stick properly. Same will happen if you hit the stock just right, if it was finished like glass before painting.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 09:45

when you touch the stock it's like it comes off in a light  powder. The stock is a factory remington stock and is not smooth at all and was clean really well from all oils.

I guess it is kinda like if you spray painted something and it set's in the weather for a few years and you grab it and a little of the  paint comes off Thats about the best way i can tell you how it is.it's kinda like paint dust.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 23:04
Possibly, if the stock was the last part you sprayed, the batch was "kicking" in the can. Then it was air drying as you finished.?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2007 at 06:46
did you rough up the stock with sand paper or something like that?? maybe the paint didnt want to stick to the smooth surface
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2007 at 14:48

Also is there a difference in the Dura coat clear dc and the Dura coat tru lube? Which one would be a tougher shell after I have finished the paint job? What would you recommend?

my problem was that i misted adn not painted the last coat the other night and it didn't stick to well.I sanded it off adn redid it and it worked out well

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2007 at 15:01

The O.T. resident expert on Duracoat and refinishing goes by dilligaf and his site is www.LarsonTactical.com

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2007 at 07:44

Chris,

Thanks I looked on the Search function.  for tips and talked to Anthony G. Houts and this is what he said

I ran it by engineering and it sounds like an adhesion problem. Since there are some many materials used in synthetic stocks they are recommending bead blasting to

provide a better surface for the DuraCoat to attach.

Witch this might be true but i have noticed that it is doing the same thing on the barrel also.Its gose on like it should but when it drys it basicaly turn to powder.So i'm at a lose now.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 19:12
alrighty i have finaly got all my colors on.and staying.the first time i painted it i took and sanded down some ruff edgens and went to blow it off witht he air hose.It blew all my pain of in big chunks.I was a little up set.I thought about it a few minutes and went to the crafts store and bought some matte sealant.sprayed that baby down with a few coats and the paint went on better and actually is sticking now.This was for the stock barrel went on fine.The gun is still apart i'm waiting on my trulube to araive.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 19:12

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 19:15

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 19:16

I'll post more after I get it back together. I'm waiting on some Dc lube right now.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 06:11

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 09:34

I got finished up last night after painting it 3 times due to paint coming off and put it all back together and was wiping it off and GUESS what the paint came back off again for the 3rd time. here is a pick of what it should have looked like and one where the paint has came off. I have sent Anthony an email waiting a reply. Tell me your thoughts so far.

This is the good pic...

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 09:35

This is the paint peeling off. don't look at the nice toe part of the pic

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 13:48

Big, you sure you are not dealing with a "chemical reaction"..?  If you decide thats what it is,

remove "EVERYTHING" and start over. I know you sanded the stock when you started, But this

wont stop till you start again clean. The stuff your spraying now is "TOO HOT" chemically

and is not compatable with the original coating.  Just my thought.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 13:57

Hot,

I have cleaned it with Dc gun cleaner first, it didn't stick I sanded it and still didn't stick I went and had it blasted and still didn't stick. I’m out of ideas on what to do with it.

So I have painted it 3 times on 3 different surfaces prepared 3 different ways. I’m just scratching my head in disbelief this stuff is suppose to stick to anything.

It might be a chemical reaction but I would think it would have just be on the surface

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Chris,

Thanks I looked on the Search function.  for tips and talked to Anthony G. Houts and this is what he said

I ran it by engineering and it sounds like an adhesion problem. Since there are some many materials used in synthetic stocks they are recommending bead blasting to

provide a better surface for the DuraCoat to attach.

Witch this might be true but i have noticed that it is doing the same thing on the barrel also.Its gose on like it should but when it drys it basicaly turn to powder.So i'm at a lose now.

I have never Duracoated a stock, but read plenty about it in my gunsmithing books and the preferred method of application to a synthetic stock and to other parts, is to bead blast them first.

Edited by Dolphin
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 13:43

I took it to a body shop and had them blast it and it still is peeling off.I'm talking with lauerweaponry now about it to see whats going on

Thats the stock for some reason it just will not stick.

I'll get it worked out sooner or later.

thanks for all the help guys

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic