OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Monarch UCC rating question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medicjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch UCC rating question
    Posted: August/14/2007 at 21:06

Based on the rating scale discussion, I've been looking at the Nikon Monarch UCC 4-16x42 mil dot. The rating scale has the Monarch way up there, on par with Bushnell 4200 and the Ziess Conquest line.  Will the 1" tubed UCCs hang with the 30mm Monarch line in terms of optic / coating quality.  Is this scope better than the similarly priced Sightron 4-16?

The things I like about the Monarch.... side focus, 42mm objective lens (I prefer over a 50mm obj), mil dot, 1/4 moa adjustments.

This scope will be going on a CZ Varmint in 17 HMR while I'll be shooting often at moving UKD targets.  The squirrels are eating my peaches and apples at an alarming rate.  Soon the trees will be picked clean. 

Edited by medicjim
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2007 at 21:11
i assume your talking about an sII sightron correct?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
medicjim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medicjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2007 at 21:28

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i assume your talking about an sII sightron correct?

Yes, I was looking at this one prior to seeing the rating list....

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10624-1511-new-sightron-4-16x42-sii-b ig-sky-riflescope.aspx

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2007 at 21:42
i would say they are about a horse a piece
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
medicjim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medicjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 07:33
Is there any sort of optic / coating comparision standard?  How do you figure out which system will produce the better image without looking through the scopes side by side? 
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 16:40

Either scope is going to be able to be usable at a  lot longer range that a 17 HMR will be effective both are good choices

Duce

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 16:44

Please don`t think I am knocking the 17 HMR I have one and love it but most of you shooting I am sure will be within 200 yards, I have a Nikon Buckmaster on mine and it is more than enough scope.

Duce

Duce
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 21:56
Duce is right that the 4x14 is more scope than you really need in a gun with that kind of range but it will work fine though.If you feel you need the extra power go for it.I have  a 17 HMR and i put a sightron ll 3x9x42   and i just love both gun and scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic