OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FNG getting a Barrett M95. Which scope??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FNG getting a Barrett M95. Which scope??
    Posted: September/29/2004 at 00:46
HI,  FNG here.  Will be picking up a Barrett M95 next week.  Partially in defiance of the impending AW50 ban here in California,  I decided to purchase this weapon while I still had the opportunity to do so.  I doubt I would have been as seriously motivated to obtain a .50 BMG had my right to do so not been legislatively eliminated.  So in my particular case,  I suppose it could be said the the ban had the exact opposite effect of that which was intended.

Now I am deciding on which scope.  The choices are numerous and perplexing.   What scope should I be putting on this rifle?  What should I be looking for,  and what do you recommend?  Thank you in advance.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2004 at 06:30

http://www.usoptics.com/sub_pages/scope_model.php?recordID=7

The US Optics SN-9 would be my choice. 250+ moa of travel, super tough, and the optical clarity will let you take advantage of that .50 cal.

I would go with USO's rings/bases too.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2004 at 12:16

How about a Swarovski/ Barrett scope at a closeout price?  Its a win..win...win

Swarovski 10x42 w/ Barrett .50 BMG bullet drop reticle.....$799.95

Christmas Tree Reticle
"Christmas Tree"

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 17:08

nobody said the SS, im offended.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Eyespy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2004 at 20:46
Cheaptrick,  thanks for the suggestion,  you are not the only person who has recommeded US Optics to me,  this seems to be a very highly regarded and popular scope.

Chris,  thanks.  I don't know why not,  only because I don't have enough experience with scopes in general.  Can you elaborate why I might choose this particular scope over some of the other recommdations I have received here and elsewhere?  Most of the recommendaions center around Nightforce NSX,  Tasco SuperSniper,  and US Optics.

Cory,  are you recommending SS - I assume that stands for SuperSniper?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 16:48

yeppers, and the SS IS NOT a tasco, please, dont confuse the SS with tasco, tasco only put they're name on them for a little while, and it was good enough for the military, its made by a 'top secret' factory in japan, and SWFA now owns the rights to it.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Eyespy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 18:02
That's interesting.  I only put "Tasco" in front of SS because on the SWFA website,  they list SS under Tasco.   That's odd as well as very stupid for another company to simply put their name on someone else's product.  Not long before the legal challenges would put an immediate end to that sort of thing.  Whatever happened with that? 

Getting back to the choice of scopes for the M95,  would you recommend the SS over the other recommendations?  If so,  may I inquire as to what your main reason(s) is (are)?  Thanks.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 18:45

well, see, tasco never actually made a scope, it was all basically sub contractors, and they would pay them to make them. thats why its a hit or miss with tasco, it all depends where they are made, for example, the chinese made ones are crap, and the japanese made ones are AWESOME. jsut remember, NEVER buy any optics from china. hmmm... i wonder why they have the SS listed under tasco aswell, it makes me wonder, because as far as im concerned, its a SWFA scope, not tasco.

cory

Eyespy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 20:20
I see, thanks for the clarification on that. It appears that  SWFA  doesn't manufacture scopes,   they are more like a distributor or just an on-line vender,  so I get the impression that there isn't really any such thing as an SWFA scope,  though I am the first to admit I could be completely wrong about that.  What do the letters SWFA stand for?   And if Tasco does not manufactor the SS scope,  who does?  And why would the manufacturer be a secret?  Thanks.  Sorry for so many questions.

[Edit= fixing a couple of typos]

Edited by Eyespy
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 21:13

im not sure what SWFA stands for, the scope is made by the same manufacture in japan that it was made by when it was made for tasco. SWFA does not wish to announce who manufacters it for them, simply because they dont have to, and they wasnt to keep it private. and the SS is SWFA's scope.

cory

Eyespy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2004 at 21:40
Thank you,  but getting back to the main reasoning for this line of questions on the choice of scopes for the M95,  would you recommend the SS over the other recommendations?  If so,  may I inquire as to what your main reason(s) is (are)?  Thanks.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2004 at 14:19

it is one awesome scope, tuff, reliable, and crystal clear, and for the price, or for that matter, double the price, and better, you cant beat it. and i like it more that the leupold MK4's

cory

Eyespy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2004 at 23:55
Thank you cory.  Input greatly appreciated.

[Edit =  fixed a typo]

Edited by Eyespy
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2004 at 14:17

SouthWestern FireArms Inc.

Many people still search for the SS under tasco because of past reviews listed all of the Internet and we were getting a lot of e-mails from people saying they could not find the Super Sniper scopes on our site.  Bushnell/tasco were also getting a lot of calls and decided to link from their site to ours and again customers were getting confused when they did not see the SS scopes listed under tasco.  We decided to put the SS logo under tasco on our site and it simply links to the SS portion of our site.

"Chris,  thanks.  I don't know why not,  only because I don't have enough experience with scopes in general.  Can you elaborate why I might choose this particular scope over some of the other recommdations I have received here and elsewhere?"

Because they were designed by Barrett for their guns and made by Swarovski.  What else could you ask for?

Eyespy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 00:48
Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

SouthWestern FireArms Inc.

Many people still search for the SS under tasco because of past reviews listed all of the Internet and we were getting a lot of e-mails from people saying they could not find the Super Sniper scopes on our site.  Bushnell/tasco were also getting a lot of calls and decided to link from their site to ours and again customers were getting confused when they did not see the SS scopes listed under tasco.  We decided to put the SS logo under tasco on our site and it simply links to the SS portion of our site.

"Chris,  thanks.  I don't know why not,  only because I don't have enough experience with scopes in general.  Can you elaborate why I might choose this particular scope over some of the other recommdations I have received here and elsewhere?"

Because they were designed by Barrett for their guns and made by Swarovski.  What else could you ask for?

Thanks Chris.  I should be able to take possession of the rifle tomorrow,  as the retarded 10 day CA waiting period ended tonight.  In your expertise,  would you say my scope purchasing dollars would be better spent on the Swarovski. than on the SS,  the Nightforce,  or the US Optics scopes?  BTW,  I very much appreciate all your help on this subject,  and will remember this when I am ready to make a purchase decision.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 11:05

We sell a lot of Swarovski scopes for .50 cals because of the reticle and its simplicity.  We also sell a lot of SS scopes for 50's because of their rugged reputation and target knobs.  I would prefer a big variable my self and would lean towards a NightForce, Leupold 8.5-25 Mark 4 LR/T or one of the new XOTIC USS scopes.

Really depends on what you will be doing.  The Swarovski is more of a military scope where you set it and forget it, very simple to engage targets out to 2000 yards but it lacks the adjustability of a variable with target knobs.

Eyespy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 20:12
Thanks Chris.  Do you have a link explaining the use of the christmas tree reticle similar to the excellent article describing the mil dot?  I did a google search,  but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

BTW,  I took the M95 home yesterday.  Too cool!! 
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 09:23

Don't have a link, sorry.

Basically it is a reticle that has the bullet drop built into the reticle.  If you want to shoot 1,000 yards you just go down to the 1,000 mark and shoot.  It also has 5 mph and 10 mph wind drift indicators to the left and right of each range.  I would contact Barrett and see if they have something they can e-mail you or fax you.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic