OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope info & opinion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope info & opinion
    Posted: March/14/2004 at 09:52

I am looking at several scopes and all opinions are needed. I am mounting on a savage 243, 26" heavy barrel. Will be shooting varmits from 50Yds. to maybe 400 yds.

Burris 3-12x44 plex, pos. lock

Zeiss 3.5-10x44 #5214209920

Lue. VX 111 3.5-10x50 Heavy Dplx. #55078

Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 illum. dot. #422151M

Burris Full field 11 3.5-10x50 LRS Ball plex #200173 or non LRS #200172

Thanks Paul

hangfire View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hangfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2004 at 08:37

semo97 wrote:

[:P]I am looking at several scopes and all opinions are needed. I am mounting on a savage 243, 26" heavy barrel. Will be shooting

varmits from 50Yds. to maybe 400 yds.[/P]

[:P]Burris 3-12x44 plex, pos. lock[/P]

[:P]Zeiss 3.5-10x44 #5214209920[/P]

[:P]Lue. VX 111 3.5-10x50 Heavy Dplx. #55078[/P]

[:P]Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 illum. dot. #422151M[/P]

[:P]Burris Full field 11 3.5-10x50 LRS Ball plex #200173 or non LRS #200172[/P]

[:P]Thanks Paul[/P]

[:P] [/P]

I wouldn't go with Posi-lock, you have a heavy rifle shooting light bullets, and the Burris double spring standard adjustment system will track and hold

zero just fine.

My personal choice would be higher power, like a VXIII 4.5-14x40mm, maybe with the new varminting reticle, or the similar Zeiss. You won't need

lower power unless you plan on doing some close range deer hunting with the same rifle. Varmints are mighty tiny at 400 yards!

semo97 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2004 at 12:18

Thanks for the reply.  I read the reply in another topic about light with the 40mm & 50mm. It was interesting. I have been doing some more studing on the 40mm and that would seam to be the way to go. I have looked into the Lue. 4.5-14x40, Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40, and the 4.5-14x42 ball. plex Burris model. I like the burris and the price isn't to bad. I have looked thru many and the Zeiss sure is nice. I hope to get a few more replies on the 40mm. it looks like it is down too the Burris or Luepold.

Paul

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2004 at 13:11

Leupold 4.5-14 Varmint Hunter would be sweet.

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2004 at 00:09
IMO, this all depends on what type of varmint hunting you are doing. If you are kiling critters at 50 yards, and out to 400 yards, then you are likely talking small critters, but could be talking coyotes that are called in close, or hang up way out there. This could also mean drive-bys.

Assuming you will be shooting small critters, like gophers, Pdogs and crows, I would highly recommend and Elite 4200 in 6-24. The power range is perfect for everything from close to far. At 400 yards, critters get teeny and 3" or so is all you have to shoot at on a crow. You need to be able to see it clearly and hold steady or you will miss a lot. 10X scopes are good, and the lower power will make it seem that the crosshairs are staying on the target, but cranking up to 24X really shows how much you are moving! There is a psychological factor that works against you at these higher powers, but you can't beat them once you get past the shaking.

On 6X, I have used one of these for deer hunting in timber with no trouble so field of view ain't bad. The 40mm tube allows you to mount it fairly low for easy pointing and quick target acquisition and the exit pupil is all your eye can handle at almost 7. I can see in the dark with mine set at 6X on a moonlight night! I regularly shoot beavers at night using one on a .17 HMR and focus down to about 20 feet! That takes care of your close range. Add to that the great prices and they are hard to beat.

The only thing that sucks about them (depending on your uses) is that they only have 26 MOA of windage and elevation. That's 13 MOA up and 13 MOA down. That will easily get you out to about 600 yards with no trouble on most rifles. If you need to shoot further, go with a tapered base or Burris posi-align signature rings with tapered inserts. I have successfully used my scope out to 1000 meters on an F-Class rig, but there are better scopes for that and I now use one with much more travel at about 4 times the cost. If super LR is not an issue, it's a no brainer.I think they make it in a Firefly reticle. If they do. Get one! They are super cool and functional as all hell with no batteries to worry about.
semo97 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2004 at 08:58

Thank you for the input. Main use will be cyotes and a few crows, bevers, we do not have dogs in this part of Tx. but could go to the panhandle. A little deer hunting at times. I will check out the higher power scopes.

Paul

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic