OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low cost rangers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low cost rangers
    Posted: September/28/2004 at 16:55

I want a rangefinder but like most things I don’t want to pay for it.  Especially when I can see a new rifle or scope for the same investment!

I was looking at the Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport ($150).

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200015/bushnell_yardage_ pro_sport_laser_rangefinder.htm

My rifle range shares some farming fields so it needs to be portable. This would help decrease my setup time as it gets moved around.  I also would pack it for whitetail hunting. +/-1yrd seems sufficient.

Like I said, I don’t want to invest a few hundred into such a luxury. However, I don’t want to drop $150 on a pile-of-crap when I could have purchased something better for slightly more, or simply purchased nothing at all.

I would even consider those analog convergence rangefinders if they would work to 800yrds.

Any input?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2004 at 12:44
Any of the Bushnell units are worth the money.  The little scout you mention would work nicely.  Bushnell is by far the leader in laser range finders and has the most experience making them.
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2004 at 21:50

Don't get the Yardage Pro Sport.  I have used one and I don't believe that you will be happy with it.  Here is my feeling on the issue.  In actual hunting scenarios when you are hunting from a stand instead of stalking, there are few times when you actually range the animal.  Typically what is done, at least in my part of the world is to take readings on trees or other vegetation at "strategic" points then commit the distances to memory.  Vegetation with flat smooth-surface leaves will reflect laser light quite well, but straw, pine trees, and non-leafy weeds do not.  You can range a leafy tree with the Sport at probably 300+ yards, but it is nowhere near as powerful as the YP-800.  I have ranged leafy trees at a little over 900 yards with that model.  I can range a "hard to range" pine tree top at a over 600 yards with the 800.  That is strong performance!

I guess that what I am trying to say is that Sport will work just fine for ranges that you don't really need a rangefinder.  The more powerful units give you the ability to range much further on low reflectivity targets.  I initially bought the YP-500 and it is a good unit, but there were several times while hunting that I could not get a reading off of a low reflectivity target......and it is more powerful than the Sport.  I should have spent a little more money to get a good one.

Get the Sport if you want something to play with, but you not be satisfied and you WILL get a better one one day so why not cry just once. I am not saying that you need to get a Leica, though they are the best, but IMHO you should get something with capabilities similar to a YP-800.  There are better, more expensive ones out there, but it is totally sufficient.

If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2004 at 10:09

Good points.

Bushnell changed they product line-up.  What is simular to the YP-800?

Will the Bushnell Scout compare favorably? 

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2004 at 17:02

This is what replaced the old YP-800

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200880/bushnell_yardage_ pro_800_laser_rangefinder.htm

The Scout is a good unit.  The Sport is an entry level unit and very popular with bow hunters and golfers.  The Legend is the best unit but then you are getting close to a Leica.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2004 at 20:22

That one looks nice.  I cant find any specs on the Bushnell site, I think that all the Yardage Pro models with the numbers (500DX, 800, etc.) are discontinued.

Is the 800yrds reflective?  Whats the rated distance for a "deer"?

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 10:08
RANGING PERFORMANCE
Reflective 20-930 yards
Tree 20-800 yards
Deer 20-475 yards
okokdude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okokdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2004 at 03:18
I owne the leica now because the 2 units i had befor had the black number L E D read out and i could not see it in low light conditions.
the leica has a red L E D read out that can be seen any time of day
goose7856 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goose7856 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 18:09
i would buy used off ebay is you really want a good deal......i bought a pair of used Nikon Buckmaster 800 laser rangefinder for $99 off ebay. Cant beat that price. They work every time. If I "tried" to buy them new it would cost me $350. At that time my budget wasnt that big, so I searched and found these. Could not be more pleased!!
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2005 at 14:48
Bushnell makes some decent low cost rangefinders. The scout models are a good start.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2005 at 11:06

Since my original post:

I bought a Scout and was VERY unimpressed. I returned it.

I then tried a Newcon 1500. The viewfinder had crap in it and it felt cheap.

My third shot was the YP-1000.  Still not very impressed as it has difficulty past 600-700yrds. Plus it's way too big.

I would like to sell the YP-1000 and try the new Bushnell Elite 1500. That or bite the bullet for a Leica 1200 Scan.

The Elite 1500 has a LCD backlight :)

Edited by Boomholzer
grayfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grayfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2005 at 14:35
Boomholzer, I also just recently purchased the Scout
model. So far I've used it for turkey hunting & also
will be using it for bow & squirrel hunting. The optics
on it are way better than the Sport I did have & it
ranges objects much better. For my hunting needs
which is shorter ranges it looks like it's gonna work
well. My hunting buddy has the Leica 900 & it's a lot
better range finder but it also cost a lot more. It looks
like you may as well bite the bullet & fork out the
bucks for the Leica 1200 & be done with it.
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2005 at 21:16
Leica makes the best laser rangefinders out there.  Although Nikon does make a good rangefinder for the money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic