OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BARREL BEDDING / TABOO?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 20:08

Good to hear you had success with the barrel tuner, hot30!

I haven't tried to buy any factory ammo for awhile in 7WSM, so I don't know the answer to your Federal question.  Once I collected enough brass, the Whizzum became a reload only proposition for me.

Look at it this way:  Federal brass can't be worse than Winchester brass, so you probably have nothing to lose.

Based on what I'm hearing on the low popularity of the 7 whizzum, I wouldn't hold out hope that Lapua would make brass for it, unless a resurgence in popularity within some form of target discipline occurs.  I don't understand the low popularity of the 7 since the .300 and .270 WSMs are fairly popular and it's such a good shooting round.  Guess with the 7 RM, 7 WM, 7 STW, 7 RUM, etc. there's no shortage of "big 7" options.

Keep in touch on your various projects, bud!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 22:43

Hey Dude, whats smokin.?? Whizzum, thats a catchy tune.   Story on the fat 7 goes like this.  When the 3 fatties were introduced by Winchester, make it 4 fatties, right about release time they discovered that the 7mm could be chambered in the 270 chamber.  ( maybe Pyro had something to do with this  )  So they built the 7mm case .050 longer (?) to prevent this. So the orphan 7 was slow to join the parade. By that time all the after market was in high gear, like dies, brass and everything else. Could be that the lawyers etc. labeled it lyable too soon.  The short action 7mm WSM is gathering a small but elite following in bench and F-class. I would bet you that in the 08 season that some records will be owned by this round.  Someday I will learn the picture post thing. The rifle is all new, stock, barrel , scope, action and plus all the other mods and trickery it shoots a nickle at 100 yards.  It did take some tuning and tweeking and two boxes of factory ammo to get there, now we can load some real stuff and start the games.

PS. I was going to leave the tuner in the stock, had to rid myself of the temptation to play with it. It did its job as intended, saved LOTS of time .!!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 10:51

I'm sure the Winchester / Jamison lawsuit didn't help matters much either.  I personally think it's the best of the "Whizzums."  I think it's the most balanced & best shooting of the short/fats.

I tell ya, leave it to ol' Pyro O'Connor to screw with a good thing!  I knew somehow it was all his fault!

Great to hear you had success tuning your rifle! 

To post a pic, first save your pic to a file on your computer.  Then, click the cursor in the location within your post where you want the pic to be, click on the "image upload" icon at the top of the post editor (mountain and sun with up arrow icon, just to the right of the underlined "A" icon).  A window will appear with a "browse" button.  Click on the "browse" button and select the pic off your computer, then click on "OK."  It will then load the pic into your post, unless the pic is of the wrong file type or is too large, in which case you will get an error message in red telling you what the problem is.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 01:05

If the pic is to large, e-mail it to yourself. Windows (as in Bill Gates), will ask you if you want to make the picture smaller. Say yes, and proceed. Now save the e-mailed pictured, which will be the correct size for uploading.

(all this info for free!!!)

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 21:41
Thank-you sirs..!!!!!!!  Free is good, and besides, what is money among freinds.. 8shots, how is your 375 target rifle comming along.?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 21:53
i would really like to see all .277 abandoned to tell you the truth what waste of brass and copper, i dont know why they didnt go  300 7mm and either 6.5 or 25 wsm instead they put the 25 in the wssm which was stupid, why not compete with the big boy instead of equaling the good old 25-06 , put it in the wsm and match hands with roy weatherbys stuff.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 22:16
, how you been.??   .277, wasnt this round developed for shooters with shoulder problems?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 22:21

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i would really like to see all .277 abandoned to tell you the truth what waste of brass and copper, i dont know why they didnt go  300 7mm and either 6.5 or 25 wsm instead they put the 25 in the wssm which was stupid, why not compete with the big boy instead of equaling the good old 25-06 , put it in the wsm and match hands with roy weatherbys stuff.

I couldn't agree more on the 25WSSM... what a stupid move that was!  Win already had a perfectly good case in the whizzum.  Rather than design a totally different case (one that was way too stubby, which required a special action be designed around it to make it feed properly), just neck the WSM down to .257 and you've got something that makes sense -- a short action round that competes ballistically with the .257 Wby!  There's nothing wrong with .25-06 ballistics, but if you're gonna bother with a short mag, why not give it true magnum performance; otherwise, what niche does it fill?

Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 22:24
A 6.5 / .260 WSM would have been a really interesting round -- basically a little faster version of the 6.5-284! 
Ted

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2007 at 01:09

Hot30, I given up on the "target rifle" and have ordered a Rem700VSF .308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic