OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tight groups & 1st focal plane scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tight groups & 1st focal plane scopes?
    Posted: August/09/2007 at 05:15
Is it hard ot shoot tight groups when using a 1st focal plane hunting scope? seems that the reticle increase wouls prohibit precise shot placement if you wanted to drill quarters @ 100 or eggs @ 300 yards?? what do you guys think?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 09:38

It depends on which reticle you select, specifically how thin the center lines of the reticle are.  The reticles with thinner crosshairs will still allow precise shooting; some of the bolder FFP designs may not permit as precise aiming as a SFP reticle will, but shooting tight groups is still possible with either.   A FFP reticle still subtends the same amount of the target at all powers, since the reticle and target both receive the same amount of magnification, however with a SFP reticle, the reticle subtends less of the target at higher magnifications.  On the other hand, a FFP reticle won't shift POI when you change magnification like some SFP reticle scopes can.

I prefer SFP reticles for target and varmint shooting, and FFP reticles for big game hunting/ low light shooting.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 09:59

I don't see any problems at all with FFP reticles.

If no1 or Zeiss 11 is chosed that is actually the smallest reticle availible on the market as no reticle can be smaller than a sharp point.

Regards Technika

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 10:53
depends on what you mean by tight groups-- doubt if you will ever see a FFP in bench type even, however they are used in tactical matchs all the time. each discipline considers they shoot tight groups in that area of shooting. I think a more "accurate" answer is that FFP will shoot to the limits of almost all rifles, and shooters and is not a bottle neck in the system, getting used to them is.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 15:57

The #1 Schmidt/Zeiss and #11 Zeiss are exellent FFP reticles as Hakan mentioned, you may also want to look into Schmdt's P4F, USO's Army-v, Meoptas V-dot all micro group FFP reticles. All my scopes are FFP now and for me this is the only way to do things. If a range estimating reticle is desired make shure the knobs match the reticle

Metric/Metric=MOA/MOA.

Edited by Trinidad
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2007 at 17:34
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

If no1 or Zeiss 11 is chosed that is actually the smallest reticle availible on the market as no reticle can be smaller than a sharp point.

I can see where those reticles would be a good alternative, however, there is a lack of scope choices available with those reticles, at least here in the US, unless you have them custom installed.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2007 at 19:56

Most of the time i stick to second hand stuff.

Of my 80 guns that i own there is two that was bought new, and bouth of them was demo samples.

Same thing with scopes, so i have bought older Diavari Z 3-12x56 with no 11 reticle for around 550-650  USd.

In both cases when i did it it has been cheap, but for everyone that keeps his eyes opens there is plenty of bargains if you are at the right place at the right time.

So good scopes doesent have to be terrible expensive.

I have of course bought some new ones as well over the year, and it's when i really want something that can't be found second hand, like 6-24x72 when that was released and i am very tempted right now to buy a Z6i 1,7-10X.....

Regards Technika

Edited by www.technika.nu
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic