OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Base and Rings for New Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Base and Rings for New Rifle
    Posted: September/28/2004 at 13:11

First,  Wanted to say thanks for maintaining such a great resource on shooting.

Second,  Wanted opinions on what to purchase next.  Recently purchased a 700 PSS, 7mm Mag.  Have a 800 meter range  at my disposal.  Found a great buy on a Bushnell 4-16x50 AO for $250.  All documentation says it has .125 a click at 100yds and a total of 50 inches of trajectory adjustment at 100yds. 

Question?  For a new guy (who does not have the Mil Dot syndrome completely grasped) what rings and base should I go with?  standard or what is a 20 MOA base?  Do I need it to use this scope out to 800m? 

The tube is 1" so I'm not wanting to go with Mk 4 rings and bases unless this could be my only scope for a while.  If this scope setup is only temporary, I am leaning toward Millet steel bases and Warne 1" rings.

Thanks, EB

DBrz
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 17:03

first of all, im taking that this is a elite 4200?? with that scope, and caliber, its a gray area at 800 yards, but i would get it anyway. if you can afford it, get a Badger 20 MOA base, and a set of leupold PRW rings, and you will need highs to clear the objective, and they're only about $35. and when you get ready to upgrade to a 30MM, you just buy you another set of high quality rings. if money is a issue, you can save some with the GG&G 20 MOA bases.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 17:30

You "should" be able to get out to 800yrds.  I think the come-up on 800yrds for a 7mm mag will be about 18-19".  A .308Win would most likely fall short with that scope. 

Still, get the 20MOA base.

In your dilemma, 1"ring inserts are a option but one I have no experience with. I find the concept a bit scary.

Edited by Boomholzer
DBrz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 18:32

You're right, the scope is an Elite 4200 but from the Bausch & Lomb days. 

I'll look into 20 MOA bases and PRW rings. 

How will the 20 MOA base affect a 30mm tube in say a SS 10x or Leopold ?-14x in the future?

thanks

DBrz
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 18:36

I agree, get the 20 moa base. 

I highly recommend Badger Ord. bases and rings. You MAY find a product as good, but NOT better!!

Good luck!!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 19:21
Originally posted by DBrz DBrz wrote:

How will the 20 MOA base affect a 30mm tube in say a SS 10x or Leopold ?-14x in the future?

It's a better fit as adjustment range is greater with the 30mm tube. 

Someone correct me if I am wrong. It is difficult to visualize.

In theory, your B&L could run out of range with the 20MOA base if it takes an additional >5 MOA from the scope's zero.

Remember you have to dial out that 20MOA.

If with a 0MOA base you shoot more than 5" (edited to mean 5" high) at 100yrds (with the scope recticles zero'ed) and you add a 20MOA base (all else stays the same), you expended the adjustment range of the scope.  Right?

I never put a 20MOA base under anything with less than 90" of full range so it is something I never had to worry about.

Edited by Boomholzer
DBrz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 20:54

Thanks for all the answers.

I'm leaning towards 2 choices?

1.  Keep the 4200, mount on regular bases ( millet or PRW ) and buy PRW rings,  Shoot for fun at what I get as range.

2.  Return the 4200, Buy a 30mm SS or Leo and put on Badger or MK4 base and rings.  Shoot to what becomes my max.

What think ye?

DBrz
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 17:15

either one works fine, but whatever you can afford, just DONT go cheap on the bases, get the expensive ones, and at the least get the PRW rings if you stay with the 4200. Boom, to answer your question, it will save the scope 20MOA of adjustments, and so, if your scope was normally dead zero at 100 yards, and add a 20MOA base, it would be just liek adjusting bullet impact up 20 inches, or 20MOA.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 17:19
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

either one works fine, but whatever you can afford, just DONT go cheap on the bases, get the expensive ones, and at the least get the PRW rings if you stay with the 4200. Boom, to answer your question, it will save the scope 20MOA of adjustments, and so, if your scope was normally dead zero at 100 yards, and add a 20MOA base, it would be just liek adjusting bullet impact up 20 inches, or 20MOA.

cory

Ultimately the scope still needs to adjust, with the 20MOA base your taking adjustment from one side of the range and adding it to the other, offsetting the adjustment range for more elevation.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 17:22
Originally posted by Boomholzer Boomholzer wrote:

[QUOTE=redneckbmxer24]

cory

Right,

Ultimately the scope still needs to adjust click for click so your not really saving the scope from anything.............With the 20MOA base your taking adjustment from one side of the range and adding it to the other, offsetting the adjustment range for more elevation.  Now the "zero" is 20MOA off, the total range is still 50MOA.

Now you need to adjust that +20MOA out at the 100yard situation you proposed. Lets say the scope was not mounted at zero.  If the scope already took -5 MOA to zero properly.

(-20moa)+(-5moa) = -25moa, which is at the scopes limit. 

Edited by Boomholzer
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 17:29

hmm...im not understanding your thinking here, with the 20 MOA bases, it gives you 20MOA more adjusments on the bottom, because it raises the back of the scope up 20 MOA. what is the 5 moa coming from???

cory

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 18:48

Cory,

first, do you agree with my previous statement:

"With the 20MOA base your taking adjustment from one side of the range and adding it to the other, offsetting the adjustment range for more elevation. "

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 19:07

yes, i agree, but the its not useful up there, and doesnt bother the scope at all.

cory

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 19:07
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

hmm...im not understanding your thinking here, with the 20 MOA bases, it gives you 20MOA more adjusments on the bottom, because it raises the back of the scope up 20 MOA. what is the 5 moa coming from???

cory

My point was that with the added 20MOA on the "bottom" (keeping the same reference).....................you now only have 5MOA left on the "top" for adjustment. 

50MOA total, now 45MOA on the "bottom" and 5MOA on the "top".  If you wish to zero at close range, and the scope happened to mount off, and not in your favor, that 5MOA left on the "top" may not be enough for the close range zero.

Does that better explain my point?

Edited by Boomholzer
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 19:11

ok, now i getcha, i was confused a little for a minute there, but im caught up now.

cory

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2004 at 16:11
Originally posted by DBrz DBrz wrote:

Thanks for all the answers.

I'm leaning towards 2 choices?

1.  Keep the 4200, mount on regular bases ( millet or PRW ) and buy PRW rings,  Shoot for fun at what I get as range.

2.  Return the 4200, Buy a 30mm SS or Leo and put on Badger or MK4 base and rings.  Shoot to what becomes my max.

What think ye?

A PSS is a bit heavy to hunt with.

Do you even hunt?  Point being that you would want the variable range.

If your pure paper, I would return, keep, or sell the 4200,  purchase the SS, 20MOA Badger base and the Badger rings.  You'll have one hell of a nice tactical rig.

DBrz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2004 at 16:30

Boom, Cory,

Thanks for the advice.  Yes, I do hunt but my Mzloader and Steyr .260 is all I need here in the Southeast.

I think I would be better suited to punch paper with a fixed SS.  Do I still need the 20 MOA base with an SS?

Looks like it has plenty of elevation adjustment.

EB

DBrz
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 16:39

no, sure wont, but still go with a good set of bases. either Badgers, MK4's, or GG&G's, and dont stop short on the rings either, go all the way with the badgers.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic