OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Would you put a conquest on a custom gun?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you put a conquest on a custom gun?
    Posted: August/07/2007 at 19:01
I am having a custom built on a stiller predator. 308 win with #4 rock barrel in a mcmillan sako hunter stock.
Trying to decide on scope... i like the 3-9x40 conquest but is it worthy of a custom gun????
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 19:57

Ya

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

spreader View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 20:51
Sako75,

That depends on what you need. Conquest line of scopes is made according to Zeiss's German designs using German-made parts in USA and uses 1 inch tubes. That is one of the reasons they're cheaper than German-made versions.

Optically they're great, mechanically I don't know, I would prefer German-made Zeiss if you wanted something much better in overall quality and particular types of reticles and T* coating.

I personally think that if you're spending say $2000-$3000 for a rifle, it doesn't make much sense to try to "save" money on scope. If you can't see what you want to hit - you can't hit it even with most accurate rifle. And if you buy a high quality scope that more than satisfies your needs, you could potentially also use it on some other rifle later on.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 00:47
U.S Optics

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 03:50

Conquest work every time.

ranburr

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 05:50
my question is how much do you wanna spend?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 05:52
Conquest will work fine.

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 08:01

conquest is just fine - or kahles KX - or IOR would be nice - or monarch UCC - or Meopta Meostar -

or elite 4200

there are many great scopes in the 400-800 range that would hold their own.

J

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 08:04

Conquest is a fine scope, fully worthy of any rifle it's mounted on.  It's not as if you'd be handicapped in some way by not spending $2K on a scope.  Yes, $2K will get you a better scope with better optical performance than the Conquest, but whether the advantage is worth it in direct proportion to the huge price difference is something only the individual can decide.  It's not as if you're going to miss shot opportunities during the vast majority of conceivable light conditions by "limiting" yourself to the Conquest.

The one thing I can tell you is this.  If you're considering the Conquest, I would also encourage you to look at the Kahles and Swarovski 1" models.  You can get them at Conquest prices off the Sample List, and both of those scopes have an edge over the Conquest optically. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 08:41

i guess the reason I ask is I do not find the conquest's cosmetics very appealing... I have a new VX-III 3.5-10x40 w/ ALumina flip open covers that I may just keep... I also have a 3-9x conquest and like the reticle better than the duplex. I could always go leupold custom shop???

I havent seen any swarovski scopes on sample list near the cost of a conquest

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 10:31

You got the some of the best shootin stuff there is and your going a conquest??? since its not a tactical- why not a Z6-- yes they are that much better- if not keep the Leo.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 10:33
Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

Well, yeah, that's true, the Swaro scopes are still more expensive.  What I meant is that in the variable range you're looking at, the Swaro 3-9X36 AV scopes are going for $650 off the SL, which is about $100 more than the Conquest 2.5-8X32, which puts it in the ballpark of average Conquest and some Leupold pricing.  I realize the Conquest 3-9X is quite a bit less expensive, but my point is that if you're really not sold on the Conquest, through the Sample List, you have some other options with even better optics than the Conquest without too much additional expense.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 13:27
Nearly any optics from the low/mid range and up (>$300 or so) will do the job just fine.  Almost any scope above a certain price point is going to be sufficiently well made mechanically to work.

Whether you want to put it onto your custom rifle is really p to you: you have to figure out what is important to you and go with that: intended usage, optical quality, size, weight, finish type, etc.

We all have our preferences in terms of what is most important to us, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway.

All that having been said, personally, I like thick and visible reticles, and I also like smallish scopes of moderate magnification.

I would look at Kahles CL 2-7x36, Kahles CL and KX 3-9x42 all with 4a reticle.

Zeiss Classic 6x42 or IOR Hunting 6x42 if you like fixed mag scopes (both available with a 4a reticle). Sightron and Leupold offer smaller 6x42 scopes with 1" tubes.

Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 if you want the fastest target acquisition.

I do not like the aesthetics of the Conquest too much, personally, but it is a fine scope from a performance stand point.

I buy and sell a lot of scopes, since I like trying new things.  If I really like a scope it finds a permanent place on one of my rifles.  IOR 6x42 with a 4a reticle is sitting on my favourite gun.

In the future, i think I'll also find a place for Kahles CL 2-7x36

ILya
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 16:38
thx koshkin but I called swarovski in rhode island today and they told me thay even though they own kahles, they are the "2nd-tier" line. they also told me that getting kahles to service something in a timely manner was hard to do because they dont work on any kahles stuff in the USA. it all has to go back to austria. her quote was that it could take "months" for a repair. that really dissuaded me from kahles especially coming from their sister company. have you heard different regarding kahles????
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 16:58

Kahles has split back away from Swaro last year or so.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 19:08
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

I sent in a Kahles binocular to have the rubber armor replaced exactly 1 month ago, and the repairs were done by Swarovski North America.  The Kahles customer service center is still located at the same address as Swarovski's:  1 Slater Rd, Cranston, RI.  If the two companies have split, they must have a large line drawn in the middle of the same building.  Their respective manufacturing facilities are in different locations and I've heard that they no longer share technologies, but they still have the same common CS location in the U.S.

Sako 75, my experience with Kahles service has been just as positive as Swaro's, which is to say very good.  They didn't charge me for replacement of the rubber on my Kahles bino, and the repair turnaround was 2 weeks.  Though Kahles binos are definitely a step down from Swaro bins, their riflescopes are fully the equal, in some cases maybe better than Swaro IMO.  I would have no hesitation whatsoever to buy any Kahles product.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

xanadu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 10:22
Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

i guess the reason I ask is I do not find the conquest's cosmetics very appealing... I have a new VX-III 3.5-10x40 w/ ALumina flip open covers that I may just keep... I also have a 3-9x conquest and like the reticle better than the duplex. I could always go leupold custom shop???

Sounds like you worry as much about looks as dependability ... " cosmetics "  DON'T !  A purrrty scope and firearm is nice to hang on the wall but that's the last thing I look for since I camo and ghille my firearm anyway.

Been There Done That !!!!!!
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 12:50
I called KAHLES customer service number one week ago and got SWAROVSKI CUSTOMER SERVICE. I wanted to know how much it would cost to change a reticle in a 2-7x36 CL from a plex to a 4A reticle. He said it would be $150.00.
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2007 at 10:50
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

I sent in a Kahles binocular to have the rubber armor replaced exactly 1 month ago, and the repairs were done by Swarovski North America.  The Kahles customer service center is still located at the same address as Swarovski's:  1 Slater Rd, Cranston, RI.  If the two companies have split, they must have a large line drawn in the middle of the same building.  Their respective manufacturing facilities are in different locations and I've heard that they no longer share technologies, but they still have the same common CS location in the U.S.

Sako 75, my experience with Kahles service has been just as positive as Swaro's, which is to say very good.  They didn't charge me for replacement of the rubber on my Kahles bino, and the repair turnaround was 2 weeks.  Though Kahles binos are definitely a step down from Swaro bins, their riflescopes are fully the equal, in some cases maybe better than Swaro IMO.  I would have no hesitation whatsoever to buy any Kahles product.

I have to agree with you 100% on the last piece. I have a Kahles 3-12x56 & its a marvelous scope. I like this scope better than the 56mm from Swarovski.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2007 at 13:13

i would actually put the kahles in line or slightly above swarovski - this is from MY personal experience and my opinion of course.

the kahles C, imo, is almost as good as the Zeiss VMV's - and they are at the top of my list.

most ANY of the scopes listed above will make you very happy - just pick the one that suits your eye, and your gun, the best.

let us know what you try.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic