OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Stupid things we do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid things we do
    Posted: August/03/2007 at 10:29
Ok, what I am looking for is the stupidest thing you have ever done with a rifle, shotgun or handgun.  All of us have done something that we will never forget and look back upon as, how did I do that.  Now, before I go first, because I have a good one, I want to see if anyone will take the first step or is everyone going to demand that I take the first step.
cnwrobb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnwrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 15:02
 Bought a Savage 110s in 7mm-08 new for $169.00  Sold it for $350.00 with Burris 12x scope.  Bought it back for $400.00 and a month later sold same rifle for $650.00 and I still wish had it.
cnwrobb
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 15:20
Before I tell my story, I have to hear more stupid stories than that.  Mine is really stupid.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 16:22

Okay D, here is stupid. I was handling one of my pistols, an M1911-A1, and dropped the hammer on a loaded chamber. It put quite a dent on the inside of my safe door and burried some shards of copper and lead into my shin................DOH. This was many years ago but that dent is a constant reminder.

Moral, always treat every gun as if it is loaded.

Doug

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 17:48

Have had 3 gun collections in my life. Sold the first 2.!!  Pretty stupid ha.? Owned a 1967 Corevette 427 roadster, traded it even up for a brand new 1975 Harley.

was it stupid then, or is it stupid now.?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 18:37
i took one of grand dads win high wall 22 short's and decided i would shoot an old junk dishwasher from about 25-30 yds and after two riccocheted back at me i quit for some reason the short didnt have enough oomph to penetrate the door, 22 long rifle would though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 07:20
Duck hunting on a cold & wet October morning.  Had just racked a shell up on my old & well worn model 97.  As I was letting the hammer down slipped off my thumb with a resounding roar.  Heart almost stopped and split my thumb pretty well.  At least the muzzle was pointed at the ground.  Not a great way to start your day!
God save the Empire!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 07:56

Gotta love duck hunting. We are out hunting on Lake Superior at the mouth of the TAHQUAmenon River. I have been walking around setting up the decoys and shells in my wader jacket were under water. Later on a flight of bluebills came in and on my first shot.............foooop, and a string of shot hits the water about twenty yards in front of me. One of those wet rounds miss-fired and jammed the wad in the barrel of my Benelli Super Black Eagle. It also blew wet powder back into the action. That was my first mistake.

The second mistake is that I forget to bring a knife or my SOG ParaTool I always carry hunting. So I had to walk into shore, into the cedars, and break a sapling straight and strong enough to push the wad out. I look through the barrel and DOH, it's full of crud. I walked all the way out to my closest deke and grabbed some anchor line. I walked all the way back in to the cedars and grabbed a small tuft of cedar, tied it to the string and pulled it through the barrel. This is all to the chagrin of our dogs and my hunting buddy.

I learned a couple of things from this and one of them goes back to the black powder days. Always keep your powder dry and always have a knife at minimum. Also, another round did in fact feed after this and the results could have been very bad.

BTW, the Benelli SBE is an excellent gun and was easy to tear down with freezing fingers.

Doug

Edited by tahqua
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 09:18
when i was like 16-17 i was hunting mulies and i was walking around like an idiot flicking the saftey on and off with me m70 30-06 and squeezing the trigger after it was back on safe well i squeezed a little early and boom she went off, scared the hell out of me but i didnt even stop walking was the weird part, so when i got back to the truck i had to tell my buddies i saw a deer and took a running shot and missed. never did that again.

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 10:18

Speaking of duck hunting...

Several years ago, a friend of mine invited me duck hunting on a lake I'd never been to before.  It was a foggy, pitch dark morning and you couldn't see further than about 50 yards in front of you, even with a spotlight.  We loaded all our gear into his aluminum boat and motored over to the spot we would hunt in the dark.  Dodging tons of submerged tree trunks in the darkness, we eventually came to a small "island" covered in brush about 8-10 feet in diameter, and he informed me he would drop me off there and I'd use the brushy spot as a natural blind.  The bow of the boat was a couple feet from the edge of the island when we stopped and I began to bail out of the boat in my waders.  I couldn't quite step onto the island from the boat because it was just out of my reach, but no big deal, I had waders and the water had to be really shallow only a foot or so from the edge of the island...  WRONG!  It turns out my tiny "island" was really the top of a broken off old cypress tree trunk that had filled with soil and vegetation was growing out of.  So, as soon as I stepped out of the boat... SPLASH... down I went into about 8 feet deep water.  My waders were quickly filling with water and the freezing cold water was quite a rude awakening, but being a certified gun nut, my main thought -- more than my own safety -- was the fact I just dropped my Benelli SBE shotgun to the bottom of the lake.  I frantically reached around and found it, but by then, my waders were completely full.  Somehow, despite the additional weight of the water-filled waders, I managed to pull myself out of the water with limbs and the boat paddle my buddy stuck in the water for me to grab, and managed to crawl on top of the brushy tree trunk. 

So then, we did what any group of hunters would do... my buddy stopped laughing at me long enough to say "I'll pick you up here at 10:00," and motored away.  I sat there shivering and soaking wet, but decided: "what the h#ll, I'm here and I'm certainly not going anywhere; I might as well hunt." 

I then sat there shivering in a big water balloon and shot ducks all morning until my buddy returned to pick me up. 

Once back on shore, it took 2 guys to help me get the waders off because of the vacuum lock the water created between my body and the waders.  My feet looked like a couple large raisins, my skin was so shriveled up and blue from being wet and cold all morning.  Luckily, it was above freezing, so it wasn't cold enough that I got frostbite, but I was never so happy to find a heater and a cup of coffee as I was that morning.  Of course, the rest of the day, my buddies non-stop laughed their @sses off at my expense! 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 10:36
since were on the subject of waders, i got one that isnt really hunting related but funny and stupid nevertheless, so we are out fishing the river east of town and its a pretty sizeable river and in places its deep and very swift, so its like may and in wyoming thats still a very cold time of year and me and my buddies are bank fishing and as we are walking along the bank we see a dead mulie buck laying on a sand bar in the middle of the river and my one friend who sometimes isnt real bright had some chest waders on and he's into antler hunting as we all were and we was like those antlers are mine, and  the spot he wanted to cross was about 4-5 feet deep and very fast well he made it over there no problems, but the head wouldnt separate from  the body so he was like im going to have to bring the whole body across the river i told him you dumb ass your going to drownd and he damn near did cause that deer carcass was heavy and it pulled him enough that he tried to swim and of course that meant his chest dipped into the water and his waders fill up fast and he was struggling to stay above water we yell let it go and he was like no way well at this point im worrying about him drowning in this river over a stupid set of mulie antlers so i run to the truck to get a rope so we can pull him in we toss him a rope and the dumb bastard put the rope around the damn deer carcass instead, so we pull the deer on shore and he works himself back to the river bank and we pull him out of the water and he pukes  cause he inhaled some water and we all looked at him on his hands and knees and say was it really worth all that?? he's breathing really hard still dry heaving and says yeah.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 10:37
OK Dolphin, you're up!
God save the Empire!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2007 at 11:05
Ok, a couple of years ago, I get the bright idea to buy one of those laser boresighters that fit into the end of your rifle barrel.  I find a great deal on one at www.cdnninvestments.com and it arrives and I cannot wait to try it out.  Now, I have never had a problem bore sighting by taking the bolt out and looking throught the barrel, but being a gadget nut, I figured what the heck.  Well, I have this custom rifle that I purchased at a steal on www.gunbroker.com at a steal.  I am embarresed to say how little I payed.  But, to tell you a little about it, because it is relevant to the fact that I chose this rifle to be the one to first use the bore sighter, makes it all the more stupid.  It was built on a Obendorfer Mauser action, jeweled bolt, custom wooden stock, with a very nice matte figure and a custom medium to heavy McGowen barrel, all chambered in a 340 Wby. magnum.  So, I set out to the range.  Now its a covered range, just some tin, but enough to magnify any rifle or pistol report.  So, I set it up to roughly 25 yards or so, I really can't remember and adjust the scope.  I remove the laser boresighter and take my first shot.  There is no muzzle brake, but the rifle is relatively heavy and the recoil is pretty good.  There are other shooters around and everyone looks to see what canon I am shooting.  Well, damn if I did not come close to the mark, but not close enough.  So I repeat the same process and I am pleased, but not quite enough and shoot again.  Well it was better, but being a perfectionist, I do it a third time.  Well, after pulling the trigger, the report was horrific.  Everbody looked in my direction and my son looked at me like what the heck was that.  I took off my ear muffs and noticed a problem, the end of the barrel looked like a blunderbuss.  At this point, the only thing I am thinking, is the cost of rebarreling that rifle and the embarresment.  I was sure I had removed that damned laser boresighter.  I was so torn up about it, I grabbed another rifle to sight in and went to reach for the laser boresighter forgetting I had just blown it to smitherins.  Well, I sent the rifle back to McGowen, as I wanted to keep it just as purchased and original.  Well the bill was about 450, including shipping and handling, more than the original cost of the rifle.  Now, I do own one of the laser boresighters that fit into the chamber of the rifle, but I have found that I keep going back to old standard of removing the bolt and looking down the barrel.  Now that was stupid.
fishnpbr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnpbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 06:53
I have a .243 and a .308. I made the the mistake of putting .243 rounds in the .308. I did not realize it until I unloaded the rifle. I nearly fired the rifle. The only reason I did not shot was the deer was farther than I was comfortable shooting. I don't know the danger or damage that may of resulted. That will never happen again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 07:59

Some years ago I took some friends to view the snow on some nearby mountains. They had a 10 year old son, who loved the outdoors and things that go boom. His dad does not own big rifles, so I thought I would load in the 30-06 and swing past a farm I owned at that time and let him have a few shots. We arrived at the farm, I showed him the ropes and stood back to watch. I noticed something wrong and leaped forward to stop him, but to late, he had pulled the trigger. There he stood, a bloodied member of the half-moon club. Because he was so small he had put the stock under his arm to get closer to the scope and it recoiled into his face.

Well, it was off th hospital for stitches and I was the Big Bad Wolf with guns and such stupid stuff! Never lived that one down.

And on the fishing side: My dad, brother and I went for an eel fishing week-end. We fish in rivers for them, the muddier the better. We got to this spot quite late on the Friday evening, well after dark. So we found the river edge, tackled up and casted away. My brother had his share of luck during the night, but no matter how we tried, my dad and I lucked out. Not even a bite. Then daylight arrived, and we could only laugh at ourselves. The river at the point where we were fishing had formed a sharp bend away from us and we were fishing on dry land all night!!!

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 10:51

Originally posted by fishnpbr fishnpbr wrote:

I have a .243 and a .308. I made the the mistake of putting .243 rounds in the .308. I did not realize it until I unloaded the rifle. I nearly fired the rifle. The only reason I did not shot was the deer was farther than I was comfortable shooting. I don't know the danger or damage that may of resulted. That will never happen again.

I loaded some .45 acp in my Glock 10mm mag and some 10mm in my .45 HK. Luckily I tried loading the Glock first. Thing is I didn't bother with the fact that the G20 mag was loading a "bit tight".

I'm starting to look like a real boob on this thread........thanks D!

Anyway, I hope none of you make the same mistakes. That's why I'm passing it on.

Doug

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 11:59
Well, I figured this would be a humorous topic and in addition we could all learn something.  Anyone else with a good one?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 12:25

A friend of mine was hiding money from his wife by rolling up wads of $100. bills and putting them in the barrel of a shotgun he kept in the closet.  Pretty safe place until his son borrowed it one day with out asking.

It was the most expensive dove hunt he ever went on.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 13:38
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

A friend of mine was hiding money from his wife by rolling up wads of $100. bills and putting them in the barrel of a shotgun he kept in the closet.  Pretty safe place until his son borrowed it one day with out asking.

It was the most expensive dove hunt he ever went on.

Nice.  How much did he lose? 

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 16:57
Not sure, but I bet it was less than what he told his son was in there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic