OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HARBOR FREIGHT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HARBOR FREIGHT
    Posted: August/02/2007 at 18:11

A friend of mine called me the other day wanting to borrow my truck. Hell no, you aint touching my truck. This guy will wreck anything. He says come on man, I need to pick up my new reloading bench.!!  Well for that, hell I will come and get you.!! I thought we were going to the woods and get some 2x4s slammed together, you have to know him.  We  ended up at Harbor Freight.  They have a "solid oak", clean oak, nicely sealed and smooth as a babies ass bench, kinda like a pattern makers bench. Has a wood screw type clamp on one end and some dowel holes up top, dont know about those, the thing is built solid and its PRETTY.!  Could be one of the best ready made gun fixen benchs that Ive seen.

$ 169.00

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2007 at 18:18
Hey 30, do you have a link to the info on this bench by chance?  $169.00 seems like an extremely low price for a bench as nice as you describe.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2007 at 21:03
Lets try to log on at Harbor Freight.  Ill be back.!
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2007 at 21:17

RifleDude, Try this, I did find it here.  Dont know how to do pictures but it is the real deal.  Some others on OT should look at this, its like a piece of furniture.

www.harborfreightusa.com

item # 93454  or enter as this,  oak workbench

Boneyfreak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boneyfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 14:09
Harbor Freight?  They don't sell anything worth buying, its all juuuuuuuuunk.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 18:46
Sorry you have this opinion of them. Some less fortunate, or those that dwell in appartments with restrictions on space might find it usefull.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 21:26

Originally posted by hot30 hot30 wrote:

Sorry you have this opinion of them. Some less fortunate, or those that dwell in appartments with restrictions on space might find it usefull.

i agree with ya hot

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boneyfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 09:18

And some just have low standards for the word "quality".

its all junk.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 12:36
I don't know, Boney, $170 seems like a very good price for the bench 30 is referring to, if it is indeed as nice as the pics seem to indicate, made out of oak.  If it stays together well, is reasonably solid, and has enough workspace, that's all I ask of a workbench.  Hot 30 says it's solid and is nicely finished, and I have no reason to doubt him.  It's not as if you'd display this bench in the middle of your living room.  I wouldn't want to use a fine piece of furniture as a work bench.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boneyfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 13:36

That very well could be a "good deal" , I'm not responding to whatever particular item in reference. As a whole HF products are "junk". Most everything in HF stores I myself  have arranged to import into the USA for one company or another. I spent 10 years handing importing a very wide array of products into the USA from China, Japan, Korea, Poland and all the European countries at one time or another.  A large majority of HF products are Chinese made, some India, Pakistan ect. and are very low quality compared to Euro, old eastern blok, Japan or US made items. If its metal and wood, odds are it's Chinese made. metal and wood items from China most of the cost is freight from port of entry to US destination, customs clearace hand paper handling, freight from China (20-21days on ship) is actally very cheap to the US. Ever see them 132pc socket sets from China? I used to buy those for .80 cents a set from the manufacturer in China, min. 500 lot, freight was 1.00 -2.80 per set. within 250 miles of port of entry depending on qty. You can pretty much tell the actual distributors cost of imported items by the wt. and not what it actually took to manufacture it. A $3000 manufacturing die in the US or Europe, Japan ect, cost less than $200 in China, but odds are they will have to send you 5 tries before they get it almost right.

But good luck with the bench, if it suits someones needs, thats all that really counts.

If anyone comes up with a million dollar idea and need it manufactured overseas, let me know , I can have it done and have the contacts there to control quality before it is boated and needs to be garbaged upon entry.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 19:54
I've got news for you, Boney...MOST of the furniture items from MOST brands are now imported from low cost countries like China, even some of the so-called "high end" stores.  I was shopping for a nice kitchen table not too long ago, and I had a very difficult time finding stuff that wasn't imported from China, India, Pakistan, etc.
Ted

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 23:46
Cheaptrick, The latest pic shows the clamp on the end of the bench and with 4 drawers also. Your pic could be an earlier version.  Drop back to my first post and enter the part # that there.  Im going back to check myself, be back.!
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 23:51

Trick, try this.

www.harborfreightusa.com                 item #  93454

New version is flat on top, 4 drawers, clamp on the end. Just went there, its for real.  Hope it helps you out.

Edited by hot30
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 05:19

Very nice!!

Thanks, Hot!!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 20:29
i dont know what the setup costs but it looks ok  to me
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 20:16

My branch is selling it for $169.00.. If its a special or not, I dont know.

Check it out, not everything Harborfreight sells is inferior.!

Reguards

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 20:34
i think a guy could  mount a metal plate to that bench for the press if it looked like it was a little weak and i bet you wouldnt have to worry about it breaking or anything.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic