OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30-06 ammo recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 08:00

yeah, there was a LULL when i got mine - and now if you can find one, you can't afford it.

i would LOVE one in a 338 lapua.

i paid 550 NEW for mine - that was quite ridiculous.  It's the best gun i've ever had.

J

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2007 at 09:52
yeah i just found a trg-s on gun broker  in a lazzeroni caliber and they started the bidding at $1800 5 years ago i could have bought the same thing for like what $800
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 21:09

it all depends on what type of game, 150gr is the lite side of the '06, myself have use 165gr failsafes from winchester, very good groups, hand full of stuff taken cleanly.  165gr is good alround weight, unless you hunting big and heavy stuff. 

one of the neighbor clubs had a guest with them and he had shot a nice buck 6-pts bad gut shot to begin with, but was asked what was he shooting for bullets, while we were standing over the dead deer after one of our members killed it finally,  and i quote "using some 150 gr BT withthe plastic point.  come to find out it was a hand load given to him because he did not know what to buy...very sad......

my buddy uses a .270 in SC, use BTs has a problem with expansion 100yrds and under, after that they mushroom fine .

match bullet performance/ weight  to the game and  go from there.

the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
MARKSMANSHIP-from great to what the hell!!!!!...it depends on the day, the rotation of earth and the pull of the moon, etc.
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 21:14
i used the 150 for everything from antelope to elk and never had any issues, when it was black bear i went to 180's eventhough i probably didnt need to, for white tail especially 150 is goods plenty mulies i would say the same.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 21:31
My uncle actually uses a 125 gr for his 30-06. I think the brand might be federal power shok soft point. Anyway, I think I'll try that and then go with 150 if that doesn't work out. I shot some cheap 150 gr (remmington cor lokt) and it shot great. Although after 15 or 20 rounds my shoulder was feeling it. Might have been the way I was hunkered over.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 21:37
well i dont know what your rifle weighs but i could see that happening after a box of shellsif it bothers you buy a limbsaver i wouldnt use the 125grs for deer for two reasons #1 light bullets going really fast hit the smallest blade of grass could mean a miss and #2 light bullet going really fast mean shorter barrel life, 150-165 are you best choices, plus if you have a questionable shot with the lighter bullet it may just blow up and not do any damage.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 08:42
Agree with Pyro on the 125 gn.  You may find that your accuracy with the 125's suffers as well.  Not sure what your twist rate is on the rifle (1:10?) but probably too fast for those light bullets.  If not for target use not sure how much this may matter.
God save the Empire!
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 09:18
Didn't know that about the shortened barrel life. According to this site http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?cur rentseries=54 the rate of twist is 11. Not sure what that means as far as accuracy. This will be strictly a hunting rifle and primarily on white tail.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 12:19

the ole marine snipers, for the most part, used the 165-168 grn btsp in the 30.06.

THAT should tell you something.  I have found, by far, this to be the best range for MY 06.

J

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 18:37

my 06 never liked any thing less than 150 either i think dogger is right the twist rate on most factory rifles is probably to fast the reason it shortens barrel life is that the bullets travel many fps faster when your looking at a 125 gr bullet as opposed to 150-180, this becomes more evident when you shoot magnums cause your looking at even more speed and more powder.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 10:11
ask around to the guys who hand load '06 to see what weight they are shooting and barrel twistper inch.  ask for their results and recommendations, also ask some of the coustom guys sho build from scratch on which twist rate they would do.
the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
MARKSMANSHIP-from great to what the hell!!!!!...it depends on the day, the rotation of earth and the pull of the moon, etc.
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 11:24

Copied this from the Shilen website:

- 8" for bullets heavier than 220gr.
- 10" for bullets up to 220gr.
- 12" for bullets up to 170gr.
- 13"* Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 14"* for bullets up to 168gr.
- 15"* for bullets up to 150gr.
- 17"* for bullets up to 125 gr.

God save the Empire!
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 13:49

That tells me I need to be shooting 180gr. or even 200. Since this is just for hunting and after the first year I'll probably average 15 or so rounds per year, I think a reasonable deviation is perfectly fine. I'll probably stick with 150 gr but I still want to look into the possibility of a lighter load.

According to this document, sako makes bullets and they make a 123gr bullet http://www.sako.fi/pdf/sako_export_2006.pdf

It would be nice if they recommended a particular bullet/gr for a given rifle.

Edited by ahuebel
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 14:00

Wouldn't worry too much about it except for maybe those real light bullets.  I'm no expert here but would think from 150 and up your 1:11 twist should be fine.  As you said this is a hunting rifle.  May have to experiment with different makers to see what shoots best in what weights, but hey, that's part of the fun!

Here's another excerpt from their website:

"The information below will help you select the best barrel twist for your specific needs, providing of course there are multiple choices. If you'll be shooting one bullet weight, choose a twist from the chart just fast enough to stabilize it. Too fast a twist simply overspins the bullet and may result in reduced accuracy. On the other hand, a twist too slow for any bullet will likely produce instability, keyholing and rotten accuracy. So if you're going to be using several bullet weights, be sure to select a twist that will stabilize the heaviest one, since lighter bullets will also be stabilized."

God save the Empire!
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 14:45

++jonbravado's recommendation. The 165 grain bullets (Speer Hot Cores) have worked great for me.  Consistent one-shot kills.  The 125 grain bullet is on the light side for deer, and some are not designed for this.  You'd better be using a premium bullet (Barnes triple-shock 130 grain, for example) that will hold together if you go this light.

You can get into reloading pretty inexpensively with a Lee Loader (less than $20).  Try it.  You'll like it!  Good hunting!

Edited by Longhunter
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 16:34
125 isnt on the lighter side for deer i use 100 gr out of my 25-06 and even on elk it worked, but its a 30-06 and i recommend at least a 150 the 125's probably wont shoot worth a sh*t i havent ever had any luck with them in either or my 300's or in my 30-06 150's work awesome in the 06 and 180's worked awesome in my 300's the twist table just tells you a range to go from dan lilja's table says you can use anything from 150-200 with that 1:11 you have which would explain to me why i never had luck with the lighter bullets in my 30-06 or 300's i bet i have a 1:10 in my 300's which is why they dont shoot 150's worth a damn.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 23:33

Pyro:

This was a .30-06 question and answer (see the first entry), so we don't really disagree.  There are lots of other calibers and bullet weights that will also work just fine on deer. 

Edited by Longhunter
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 07:29
i know what gun he's talking about i helped him buy it! all i was saying is that 125 gr bullet out of any gun isnt to light for deer, now i will agree with you that when your talking 25 and 26 cal bullets your construction is totally different when compared to that of a 30 cal, of course with the smaller calibers the bullets are longer since this is the only way to make them heavier which in turn raises your sectional density which translates into harder hits but think about people who use the .243 for deer thats lighter yet but it works! i think if you had a barrel with the right twist for the job and you handloaded your rounds to a modest speed you could kill deer very effectively with the 125 gr 30-06 but since most factory rifles arent setup to handle such a light weight the 150 is a good place to start.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 19:01

relax everybody......... dogger had down pretty good.....

Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Wouldn't worry too much about it except for maybe those real light bullets.  I'm no expert here but would think from 150 and up your 1:11 twist should be fine.  As you said this is a hunting rifle.  May have to experiment with different makers to see what shoots best in what weights, but hey, that's part of the fun!

Here's another excerpt from their website:

"The information below will help you select the best barrel twist for your specific needs, providing of course there are multiple choices. If you'll be shooting one bullet weight, choose a twist from the chart just fast enough to stabilize it. Too fast a twist simply overspins the bullet and may result in reduced accuracy. On the other hand, a twist too slow for any bullet will likely produce instability, keyholing and rotten accuracy. So if you're going to be using several bullet weights, be sure to select a twist that will stabilize the heaviest one, since lighter bullets will also be stabilized."

nothing wrong with the weight, myself also use a 95gr in .243.  have dropped deer with it and most of them have not run, but with that much power behind a light bullet expansion close in say about 150yrds depending of type of bullet used could be a problem as in shoot thrus with no mushroom.....and wounded deer not dead deer......

Edited by snuff48
the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 20:45
shoot through or complete explosion with minimal penetration.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic