OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper Vs. Bushnell 6-24 elite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper Vs. Bushnell 6-24 elite
    Posted: July/31/2007 at 22:07
Just like the topic says Super Sniper Vs Bushnell 6-24x50 side focus
It is going on a savage 243, and I know that the Bushnell is more expensive than the rifle.  But I am tired of buying cheap crap and am willing to spend a little more.  The rifle has been wearing a Simmons 3-9x40 as it was part of the package deal when I received it as a gift several years ago, and works for the deer hunting that I do.  However I am looking to shoot at longer ranges and more accurately, and am looking for more magnification, mill dots, and better quality.  Here is how I think it breaks down.  Please add to the question marks I have.  I am not too worried about the price difference and would rather pay the extra money if I would be happier.  Finally if you have any other sub $600 scopes that outperforms then please feel free to add.

SS 10x42  Pro's:  100+ MOA adj;  cheaper;   ???
                Con's:  Fixed power;   smaller Field of View; ???
Bushnell    Pro's:  Variable power;  more, and less zoom;  could use 6, 12, or 24 power to range providing more accuracy
                Con's:  40-50 MOA adj; needs to be mounted higher; more expensive ???

PS I hunt on the plains of South Dakota, and will be using this for the small critters too.  And I have rifles with iron sights if I ever need to hunt in the woods were shots are <75 yards as I suck at irons, but am working on them.

Edited by bart
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 22:11
do you really need 6-24?? running deer under 50 yds on 6x isnt going to be and easy shot how about a 4-16x50?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 22:19
I don't know if I really need 6-24 I have left my scope at 6 or above and it is ok.  I have never used a nice scope before, or shot at a deer running.  I only had one chance to do that and he was running at me, and I waited until he stopped, which was about 10 yards away.  I just do not feel comfortable shooting a running deer at any distance.  If that means I lose game then oh well I am not going to starve if I don't make the kill.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 15:59

if you are willing to spend the extra $$ by all means do it, the elite tactical is a great scope. it will give you not only the 10X of the SS, but also the lower 6 power, or up to 24 as you stated.

as for running shots, i know you said you have other rifles with irons. but ive personally made a kill on a fox with a SS10X42 at about 75 yards while he was running full blast. so if your good, i doubt a 6X optic will stop you form taking a 50 yard moving shot if you needed to.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
bart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 00:01
Thanks, the only thing I was worried about was the lack of adjustment travel with the bushnell.  It would not be bad, but the Burris sig rings only have the adj inserts for the 1" scope tubes.  I guess I can get the rings and hope they come out with inserts before I have to buy the sloped base.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 07:48

well - i can tell you right now, you don't need 24 power OR side focus parallax adjustment - and fixed 10 power would be a little bit much.

a 243 is not a LONGrange gun per say - and will do it's best work inside 250 yards.

i would stick to around 2-12, or 4-14 power w/out parallax adjustment - that will cover all the bases

and with the added simplicity, give you piece of mind that your sight is true.

if you have 600 bucks to spend - i would look closely at bushnell elite 4200's, Nikon Monarch UCC's, Zeiss Conquests, Meopta Meostars (my fav), or IOR hunting.

save money for good mounts, as they are as important as the glass they hold.

J

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 08:09
251142 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
SWFA: $764.95
More Info... Buy Now
414508 IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                   IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Free IOR Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $894.95
More Info... Buy Now
Ok all of a sudden everyone wants tactical knobs for a hunting scope, OK there is some value at distance say out past 200 yds but hunting scopes have tradtitionally been 2-7 and 3-9  fixed 4x and 6x scopes and there is a reason why - because that is the power range that works best while hunting. When you get over 6x you also need to get over 42mm to maintain a 7mm exit eye pupil so that the scope will be bright in low light and when the deer come out right before dark you can see them.  For most hunters there is more value to having a scope that goes to 2x than a scope that goes to 20x. A reasonable compromise is the 4-14 power range which gives you a chance up close and still lets you examine closely those antlers at 200 to 300 yds on 14x. A lot depends on how you hunt. if you stalk deer in brush you must have lower power than 4x. If you hunt from a blind and take 600 yd shots you can use a 20x +  As for the 10x Super Sniper it is not an ideal hunting scope because it has a 4.2 mm exit eye pupil but it is quite useable and the quality of the glass and dials is quite good for a very reasonable price. Being 10x it has enough power to shoot 1000 yds and the easy to work adjustments encourage you to use them and practice. If I were to choose a fixed power tactical for hunting use though I would probably go 6x42 IOR to get that 7mm exit eye pupil on the basis of if you cant see it the whole rig doesnt do you any good.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 10:41
Maybe I should rephrase my original post.  I will be using this for deer hunting, but I only shoot one deer per year.  Whereas I go target shooting, and prairie dog hunting on a much more regular basis.  So I will compromise to get the magnification I want for shooting those little buggers that are a was out there.  And $600 is the upper limit, and I have found the Bushnell for 525 elsewhere.  I don't want to pay more than I need to, but also don't want to regret my decision, otherwise I would have already bought one of the SS's on the sample list and been done with this.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 11:08

Go with your heart and get the biggest magnification. At least out to 24 or 25. I have a 3,5 -10 for hunting and a 8,5-25 for target and springbuck headshot precision work. And regardless what anyone says, when I have my 3,5-10 scope on, it vitually allways stays on 10. Only when I have wounded an animal and I know some close-up fast work is about to happen do I wind it down to 3,5.

When I have the 8,5-25 on it allways stays at the 25! Even for 100m target shooting. You know what, I can see that bull right up close, and each shot as it makes it hole. On the competion range anybody coming in the tops scores display a 20 or more power scope.

I personally love my Leupolds, but maybe because the Zeis, Nightforce and the like is out of our range in South Africa. You have the range and price benefit in America, so go for a good Zeis, Nightforce or S&B and years from now you will still be one happy dude.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 13:17
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

well - i can tell you right now, you don't need 24 power OR side focus parallax adjustment - and fixed 10 power would be a little bit much.

a 243 is not a LONGrange gun per say - and will do it's best work inside 250 yards.

i would stick to around 2-12, or 4-14 power w/out parallax adjustment - that will cover all the bases

and with the added simplicity, give you piece of mind that your sight is true.

if you have 600 bucks to spend - i would look closely at bushnell elite 4200's, Nikon Monarch UCC's, Zeiss Conquests, Meopta Meostars (my fav), or IOR hunting.

save money for good mounts, as they are as important as the glass they hold.

J

why do you say the 243 is not a long range gun? a buddy of mine that shoots at quantico has a built 243, and all the way out to the 1000 yard mark, it shoots flatter, and buckes the wind better than both my custom 308, or my custom 260. IMHO, the 243 is a better long range gun than the 308.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 13:19

Originally posted by bart bart wrote:

Maybe I should rephrase my original post.  I will be using this for deer hunting, but I only shoot one deer per year.  Whereas I go target shooting, and prairie dog hunting on a much more regular basis.  So I will compromise to get the magnification I want for shooting those little buggers that are a was out there.  And $600 is the upper limit, and I have found the Bushnell for 525 elsewhere.  I don't want to pay more than I need to, but also don't want to regret my decision, otherwise I would have already bought one of the SS's on the sample list and been done with this.

The elite tactical 6-24X50 is definently the right scope for you, without a doubt.

you said something in a previous post about a set of 1" rings. I hope you didnt order 1" rings ot use with this scope, becuase it has a 30MM tube.

be sure you get a good solid mount. dont get any of the windage adjustable scope bases, ive seen them things break like theres no tomarrow.

bart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 14:12
I was going to go with the Burris sig 30mm rings, and use the weaver bases that are on my savage right now.  I was looking for a one piece base, that was around $50, but it looks like since I have an older flat rear action bases are hard to find.  
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 14:22

for paper punching, maybe -

but deer hunting was mentioned.  that bullet doesn't have the necessary energy downrange to dispatch a large deer.

i have seen 250 yrd shots taken where the bullet didn't have the knockdown power it needed to dispatch the animal quickly or at all.

that's my point.

Hey, the 243 is a great deer gun for under 200 yrds or so.  I just would'nt take a long shot w/ it at a live target.

J

bart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 10:13
Thanks everyone for the replies, and I have decided to go with the Bushnell.  As an added bonus I was checking the Burris web sight, and it looks like their 30mm rings come with .010 inserts.  Hopefully it arrives on the 10th like the tracking number says, but I have a feeling it won't as I got an email today saying that it was back ordered.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic