OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Encore???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Split Toe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Encore???
    Posted: July/31/2007 at 20:01
I have an encore in .50 cal.  I am thinking about getting a Zeiss 3-9x40mm conquest for it.  My shots would range from 25 yards to 150 yards and I would be willing to spend up to the $400 it takes to get it.  My question is do you think this is the best choice for me?  Also, my shots have always been in very low light situations.  Thanks...
Hit'em Hard, Cut'em Deep
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2007 at 12:12

I've always thought that 3x9 is too much magnification for a muzzleloader . Try something in the 1.5x or 2x on the bottom end , and 5x to 7x on the top end. This will allow for plenty of field of view for close shots, and all the magnification you'll need for 150 yd shots on the top end. Choices abound for a scope , such as Bushnell 4200 Elite 1.5-6 ( hurry before there gone ), Leupold vx-III 1.5-6 , Burris Signature 1.75-6, or if Zeiss  Conquest is your medicine-they have a 1.8-5 that'll get'r done.

Encore  is a great gun. I've had super service from mine. Try out www.coyoteguns.com/bellm_home.htm or eabco.com for info/updates on T/C's.

Edited by martin3175
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 11:13
The zeiss 3-9x40 is a great scope great glass but the reticle is a simple x   so there is no trajectory compensating ability built into the reticle to assist you in determining hold over at distance. I have a Nikon Omega muzzle loader scope on one encore and I am quite happy with it, another has a Leu VXIII 4.5-14x50 and is sighted at 200 yds another has a 3-9 x40 tasco  and all have killed deer. But the Nikon Omega is the scope of choice for a muzzleloader at this time.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 05:31

What about a Bushnell 4200 firefly?

2.5X10X40 they run 399.00. yes its alittle high but a great scope. Talk to Chirs he might be able to cut you a better deal.

Fbuckshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fbuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 21:27
Flip side response. Black powder hunted with iron sights, 1X tubes, and variable power scopes. The versatility of the variable scope makes it my choice. Currently using Knight Bighorn with 2.8X10-44. I don’t like “busy” reticles. The rifles shoots 250g Shock Waves over 110g of FFG Triple Seven to MOA. B.D.C. reticles don’t work well for me. High X let me to take game I couldn’t have with iron sights or lower magnification by allowing me to see small openings in heavy brush. I have a Zeiss on my T/C Prohunter and love it.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 12:38
The balistic reticles only work at the highest power so right at dark is not when you want the scope up at 9x you need to be down to about 6x max with a 40mm objective to get the most light. The Zeiss and the Bushnell 4200 both have much better glass. A lot of what you should do depends on how you hunt.  For hunting in brush I like an aimpoint with 2moa dot or would like a Trijicon Accupoint scope.  For hunting from a stand I like a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 or Leupold 4.5-14x50. I dont have any of the zeiss or kahles or swarvoski scopes but they are good glass and would not disappoint you.  The fact remains that my Encore still has a Nikon Omega 3-9 with balistic reticle on it and it has killed some very nice 11 point bucks the last two years one at about 75 yds and one at about 100 yds using 150 grains tripple 7 with a 250 gr barnes sabbot with the blue plastic tip. I recovered  the bullet last year and WOW what great performance.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/25/2008 at 12:40

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
HAWKEYE6MM View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWKEYE6MM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 15:14

I'm putting on my encore next week, the Leupold 4.5x14x40 VXIII Longrange with Varminter Retical and Side focus.

"KEEPIN MY POWDER DRY"
luv2shoot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:32
I have a 1.5-6 Burris Signature on my TC pro hunter 50 cal, works great and at 15 I could hunt all nightWink
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:52
Originally posted by HAWKEYE6MM HAWKEYE6MM wrote:

I'm putting on my encore next week, the Leupold 4.5x14x40 VXIII Longrange with Varminter Retical and Side focus.

Holy smokes what do you need a scope like that for on a muzzle loader?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 16:15
I'd suggest a scope I have....an Elite 3200 1.5-4.5x32 with firefly. A great scope for woods hunting and would match the ballistics of that Muzzleloader very well. Mine actually lives atop a Savage 110 rebarreled in 338/06 A-Square. It's a pretty nice scope. Good Luck.
We are all responsible for leaving the same legacy of rights and freedoms we have to our children and grandchildren!
HAWKEYE50 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWKEYE50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 07:22
The leupold is working out well, I am 2-4 shots from a proper zero. I like the varminter retical. If you want some accessories for your ml email me at singleshooter50ml@gmail.com, I have tried a few of the available stuff and like to share results.
"KEEPIN MY POWDER DRY"
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 16:10
There are several very good reasons to put a higher magnification variable on a muzzleloader.  Target identification is the best reason - at 200 yds is it a spike 2 pt or a buck 3 pt that single branched antler one inch long makes a difference in which tag you have to use.  At 200 yds is it an 8 or 9 point that you want to let grow another year or is it a nice 12 point you want to take.  As for range time when you get up around 14x or 16x at 200 yds you should be able to see the 50 cal holes in the target without a spotting scope.
Just remember a 4 - 16 still dials down to 4x and anybody who hasnt hunted deer with a 4x  probably hasnt been hunting long.  Just because you have the ability to dial the power range up doesnt mean that the maximum magnification is used constantly.  Nice thing is it is there when you need it and is quite useful. We are not talking 8.5 to 25x these do go down to 4x you know.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic