OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Deer Hunting cailber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What should be the minimum caliber to hunt deer with {not elk or moose
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.41%]
44 [61.97%]
1 [1.41%]
11 [15.49%]
8 [11.27%]
3 [4.23%]
1 [1.41%]
1 [1.41%]
1 [1.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer Hunting cailber
    Posted: July/31/2007 at 14:48
im talking all deer,from texas to canada
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 14:50
i voted for the .220 swift cause i know that the .223 the 22-250 the .204 ruger will all take deer as long as the shot is placed, i personally start my deer fodder at .257 and work my way up to .308 cal rifles
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 16:48
Wow!  I wonder what the reasoning behind someone selecting the .300 and 7 mags as the MINIMUM deer cartridge?!!!  They must have much tougher deer where they live than I've ever seen.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 16:50
just like my jim zumbo story, lets use the .338 ultra mag for mulies, gotta kill em extra dead you know.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 17:29

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

just like my jim zumbo story, lets use the .338 ultra mag for mulies, gotta kill em extra dead you know.

I'm still laughing about that one. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 17:39
in a way i wish he would have missed, the episode i watched today they were in alberta hunting black bear over bait, sitting in tree stands and a momma bear and her two cubs were hanging out around the bait and the males kept coming in and she kept chasing the cubs up a tree and finally a boar big enough to shoot came out and the lady drilled him one with her 50 cal muzzleloader but the cubs were still up a tree and so she calls jim and the guide and they almost get ate up by the sow it was also amusing.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2007 at 09:53

Too long ago to admit, I started off with a 243 Model 70 to hunt deer with. Recoil was easy to control, and I got lucky in finding a load it shot ( 100gr Winchester) well. I only took a couple of does and a small buck with that rifle, but all dropped without the need for a second shot .However, I do believe if that the heaviest available premium  load is necesssary .

Edited by martin3175
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2007 at 12:31

i think anything HUNT-worthy smaller than a .243 would be too risky.

too fast a bullet, too small of a hole, too much risk of wounding or losing a dead animal in the hunt.

J

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2007 at 22:46
Who said....."Don`t use cannon to kill mosquito?" Confucious??................I know a guy who loves his 30-378! He also has a 338 RUM! Most of the game he hunts is deer........He just likes those cannons.....His ego swells up at the range................
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 21:47
.416 rigby out of a t/c encore thats overkill on deer
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 08:28
A .270 is a nice all around caliber, but what it really gets down to, is with the selection of bullets available today to handle fast movers and slow movers to allow proper expansion at short and long distances at those velocities, it is a shooter's choice.  One of my favorite huniting rifles for deer where I live, is a simple Howa 300 win. mag. with a synthetic stock topped with a Simmons Aetec, 350 for the rifle, less than 100 for the scope (pre-Blount close out) and I used Remington Core Lokt 150 grain bullet at distances to 200 yards max.  Never found any exit wounds, hits were perfect, deer dropped where they stood and there was little destruction of good meat, based on the placement of the shot.  For some reason, that continues to be one of my favorite rifles, shooting sub-moa, since sighting it in, several years ago and never messing with it since.  Never have shot hand loads through it.  Never had the chance to, yet.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 22:02
wow your 300 doesnt exit on deer? i have yet to retrieve a bullet out of my 300 from a deer.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2007 at 08:32
I guess with that 150 grain bullet moving at such a velocity it just breaks up.  Since I usually hunt by myself, I drop my deer off at a local shop that will do everything for you to your specifications, for 75 dollars, including seal packing your meat as you ordered.  That included making sausage, links or in bulk, hamburgers, tenderloins, hams and tenderized pieces for salsibury steak.  Thats why I have never found the bullet to see what it looks like.  I get the deer there in less that 30 minutes after its shot, so it is as fresh as possible.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2007 at 08:34
I guess another possibility is, that in the darkness, I did not look close enough and could not see the exit wound, but at the slaughter house with good light, I couldn't.  I still may have missed some.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2007 at 17:06
i shoot a 180 out of my 300. we process all are own stuff so we know what we are getting.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GuitarSlinger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuitarSlinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2007 at 15:22
My all around gun is a 30-06 with either 150 or 180 grain bullets, depending on where I'm going to be.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2007 at 21:47
those are good choices
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Boneyfreak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boneyfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2007 at 02:56
cal/wt/results meat
.223 rem @ 63gr (always clean)
.270 win @ 130-150 (clean)
30-30 @ 150 (sometimes messy,range)
300wbymg @ 180 (sometimes messy,range)
30-06 @ 150 (sometimes messy,range)
45-70 @ 300 (clean,always short range brush)
20mm M56A3/A4 @ 1563gr (always messy due to HE incendiary j/k)(CAUTION:only use when deer hiding in BTR-70 or like armored vehicle)

only use the 270 for stags now out of an Encore 15" only T&T shots are neck.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2007 at 06:22
i have only ever had one deer get really f'd up and that was because it was a very close shot (like 15 yds or less) and i happen to be carrying my 300 win mag with 180 gr ballistic tips, that back side shoulder really took it hard, i could have put a mini basketball in the exit hole. other than that small hole in slightly larger hole going out,even on elk nothing has been bad.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2007 at 12:28
In my opinion, the .243 would be the minimum caliber choice for deer................When the mention of the 7mm mag or especially all the 300 mags. (short and longer actions) come up, it seems that some draw the conclusion that these are inheritently or natural overkill on deer. It`s that last word "magnum" that possibly draws that first knee jerk reaction or conclusion from alot of people,,,, as overkill!............What they forget or don`t think about is, that for a reloader, these cartridges can be loaded down using different powders, thereby reducing that extra velocity and energy not needed for deer....... Hypothectically for example. If someone says  that the 30-06 or a .308 Win. using the 150, 165 or even the 180gr. bullet are the two best all-round choices for deer; then any 300 mag. owner, short action or otherwise, can certainly load down to the 30-06 or .308 performance levels using the same given bullet weights. Would that knowledge reduce the overkill stigma or stereotype that the magnums have? I would want to think so.........Perhaps the reloading versatility, especially with the .30 cal. magnums, is seldom thought of and overlooked? Possible? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic