OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice for a new guy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbnewguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for a new guy?
    Posted: September/27/2004 at 16:24

I'm planning to begin deer hunting this fall, but have no experience or knowledge of optics.  I'm using a Savage 30-30 (model 340) and expect any shot taken to be within 100 yards.  The guys I'm going with are at both ends of the spectrum when it comes to experience; one would recommend I get the best the modern world has to offer, and the other is in the same position I'm in (clueless).

Considering that I'm beginning I don't want to go broke on a scope.  I'm not ready to buy top of the line, but don't want to tape a paper towel roll to it either.  Does anyone have a recommendation on power and brand?

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 16:42

For a .30-30 I would probably get a good fixed 4X or 6X with something around a 32mm objective.  If you want to spend a little bit more you might want to consider a 1-4x24 or a 2-7x32 or 36.  Any of these would be fine.  The nice things about the fixed power is that you can buy a higher quality scope at the price of a low-end variable.

ranburr 

dumbnewguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbnewguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 16:46
Thanks ranburr... any suggestions on a solid brand that won't break me?
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 16:52

i would go with a leupold 4x33. i beleave its just a little over $200, but $260 is coming to mind.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbnewguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 17:41

Thanks.  If I buy the Leupold, it will cost me more than $200.00 if you figure in the divorce lawyer fees.  Once I've been at it for a while, I can probably get away with spending a few hundred on a scope, but for now just need something to get me started.  If it only lasts a couple of seasons, I can live with that.  I noticed some postings on the Simmons scopes... they're probably more within my price range, but when the prices start dropping too low, I worry that major sacrifices have been made.  Any feedback on Simmons or similar?

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 17:59

Bushnell Banner 1.4-4.5x32 for $70.00.  I normally don't recommend Bushnells that are not in the Elite series.  But, in your case, I think this might work fine until you move up to a higher-end setup.

ranburr

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbnewguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 18:01
Thanks again!  I appreciate the help.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 16:58

ill ditto on the banner, for a econo pirced scope, they sure are nice.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 21:29
Don't overlook Bushnel Trophy scopes; if I remember correctly they are a little better than Banner.  Sightron S1 is better than either.  I bought a 3-9x40 Sightron S1 on Ebay for about a hundred bucks.  I've seen them around on sale for ~$130, but there are usually a few available on Ebay.

Ilya
2ndtimer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 14:32
If you have budget restraints, but still want quality, you may want to consider a Nikon Prostaff fixed 4X.  They run around $100 and would work well for your current requirements, as well as future big game hunting considerations.  I would stay away from the bargain priced variables, since their quality/durability is highly suspect.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbnewguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 22:42
I went with the Bushnell.  Thanks for the advice.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 16:14

there ya go

cory

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 18:31
Why not use a peep sight?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 18:41

im going to assume his reasoning for getting a scope, jsut like in the coyote scope topic, and im going to think he wants it, because its easier and faster to shoulder a gun with a scope, and get on target, simply by putting the cross-hairs on him, and not have to deal with aligning the sights, and that can really suck in low light, and even in good light for that matter, and another reason would be he wants magnification.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic