OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWARO SLC NEW 7X42... NEED INFO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWARO SLC NEW 7X42... NEED INFO
    Posted: July/30/2007 at 19:02
WELL, I AM NOT A BIRDER BUT A HUNTER. I want a large sweet spot, bright, and a large FOV. I also need flare control, I dont want stray light at twilight preventing me from seeing what I need to see... These seem the same as the El's minus the magnesium and different bridge design... these have all the same coatings but are made of aluminum... Whats not to like about these???

How do they compare with other 7x42 binoculars out there??? I heard the 7x42 FL is awesome as is the ultravid but they both cost more..
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 06:48
Sako, I can tell you this about the 7x42 SLCs.  About six to eight months ago I was looking for a new pair of binoculars and I wanted on of the big three since I had already had the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42, Minox 8x32 Aspherical, and Kahles 8x42.  I looked at the big three several times at the local sporting good stores and Bass Pro shop.  I had a hard time holding the 10x steady and they caused a little eye strain for me no longer then I looked through them trying them out in the parking lots.  My preference was the Swarovski SLC in 7x42 and Leica Trivoids 8x42, 7x42.  I didn't really care for the feel of the Zeiss FLs kind of cheap outer shell.  I found out that Swarovski had the best customer service of all three and I liked the way they felt in my hards so I went with the SLC 7x42 and I love them.  They are great in low light conditions and are very clear and have a large sweet spot.  SWFA has several demos on their sample list and you can save about $300 over a new pair.  Just my two cents...
Birdhunter
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 07:15
SWFA's are the older model SLC IIRC.

How do they handle flare/stray light
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 07:53

SAK075 -

+1 on the SLC in 7X for hunting.  The view is so relaxing.  The only thing I would tell you is also to look at the Ultravids in 7 x 42.  The Ultravids have a smaller sweet spot, but are also slightly brighter.  I also went with Swaros (8.5X ELs) because they are more than bright enough for hunting purposes.  I think what the decision will really come down to for you is comfort/feel in your hands and up against your face.

Good luck.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 08:36

Sako75

Go ahead and buy the best you can afford and you want have to worry about buying a better pair because you will already have them.  You can't get much better then Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss.  I just prefer the Swarovski's for their feel, clairty, and customer service.  Would love to know what you purchase.  Birdhunter

Birdhunter
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 20:44

As I mentioned over on BF, I think the Swaro SLC 7x42s are a superb bin optically and mechanically. Probably their only downfall is their "slightly heavier than average" weight but their balance is very good so you tend to not notice it.

I also enjoyed using the Ultravid 7x42s, the FL 7x42s and the Trinovid 7x42s. All are superb but I ultimately ended up with the FLs because of their extremely bright, sharp and wide image.

Frank
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2007 at 05:52
I ended up with the Ultravid in 8x42. Liked everything about it. The FL, while being slightly brighter, suffers from astigmatism around the outer 3rd of the image. the SLC felt great but I liked the ultravid image better for me plus they are more compact.. After looking through the ultravids at night, i wonder how i could "need" a brighter binocular.. THey have some really neat looking light traps at 2 positions on the inside of both barrels...really prevents any flare from happeneing...tried looking at a streetlight and all around it at night and couldnt get any flaring

Edited by SAKO75
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 07:06

Sako75, sounds like you made a great choice.  I looked hard at the Ultravid's and if I would of had the extra money I might of got those as well due to their size and optical preformance.  Let us hear from you when you have had more time to take them out in the field and glass through them for a few hours.  birdhunter

Birdhunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic