OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long Shooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem700mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Shooting
    Posted: July/30/2007 at 17:22
Does anyone have any tips on shooting long distances with mil-dot scopes and just shooting long distances in general. Thanks
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 18:20

The use of the mil-dot at www.mil-dot.com  and the mil-dot master are helpful and the book that is very useful for distance is :

The Ultimate Sniper  by Maj. John L. Plaster

& the online commentary

http://demigod.org/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shoot ing-optics/

has some good information

Duce 

Duce
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 19:37

Don't miss!

What exactly are you asking? 

bullets? firing positions?  Don't drink coffee before shooting?  Pull trigger  with tip of trigger finger, kinda like clicking a Bic pen? sight alignment?  sight picture? breath control?  heart-rate and its effect on accuracy? difference between precision and accuracy?  rifle?  mounts? optics? mirage? parallex? muscle support vs. bone support? natural point of aim? consistency and why it matters? free floated or not free floated? Democrat or Republican?

Many people have spent the better parts of adulthood perfecting their long-range skills, the only short answer I can offer is this: "don't miss." Everything else is academic.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 21:12
Believe I'll get me some beer and corn nuts.................................................. ...........this should be ......................interesting to follow
rem700mag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem700mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 22:44
yea like free floated barrel or not? how much accuracy does it really make a difference. I have a 300 win mag remington 700 sps with a bushnell 6-24x40 and trigger pull is my main thing because i always seem to pull high and to the right when I pull the trigger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 12:03

Not to sound like an ass, but is it too much gun for you?  Is the high and right always high and right or sometimes not?  Do you anticipate the trigger break?  Do you "fear" the trigger break?  I had a 300WM many years ago in an 8 pound gun and it hurt to shoot - so much so that I eventually sold it for something I enjoyed shooting.  I am now back onto 300WMs but my light guns have very effective breaks.

Most precision builders float their barrels.  In truth, a free-floated barrel can be very inaccurate for other reasons and a  non-floated barrel can be accurate for that reason: there is no definitive checklist for what makes a rifle accurate and precise - though there is a long list of things that make them inaccurate.

My recommendation would be shoot with someone trained to spot problems.  Maybe you align yourself wrong.  Maybe you muscle the gun on target.  Maybe you anticipate.  Maybe you pull the trigger with the pad of your trigger finger and not the tip.  Maybe you are using crap ammo.  Maybe your barrel is very, very dirty.  Maybe you aren't sitting correctly behind the scope.  Maybe.Maybe.Maybe.

There are many, many things that can cause problems in long-range shooting.

And, in closing, the trigger weight on a Rem 700 is easy to adjust, take some weight off the break.  Also, try to go shoot with someone who shoots long-range well.  There are a few drills and tricks a knowledgeable shooter can use to diagnose your yips.

There are few things in life more satisfying than shooting very small groups at far-away targets.  The endeavor is worth the time and energy.  The first time your print a 3-inch group at 600 yards, you will be thankful you put forth the effort.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 12:34
RC makes some very good points the real competition is against your self in trying to avoid all the possible errors that will through off your shooting a tiny error up close gets huge at 600 or a 1000 yards . Having a good shooting partner that is helpful is one of the biggest things you can do to improve you shooting. If you have a video cam you can record each other then watch yourself and you will be surprised at what you do that you don't intend to do. A big part of the enjoyment of shooting is in the improvement of your own shooting and in helping you friend and people just starting to shoot improve and see the satisfaction in their eyes. Starting close at 100 yards then working your way out to longer distance is much more fun that trying to start at great distance then becoming frustrated when things don`t work the way you think they should. I had a 375 H&H that just was unpleasant to shoot because of recoil it took the fun out of it. The devil is in the details when it comes to rifles and scopes most of us own equipment that is better than we are but it is fun working up to your equipment.  Mostly if you are not enjoying it ask yourself why then set about problem solving.

Duce 
Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 13:17

If the recoil is bothering you one of these stocks may help

http://www.knoxx.com/products/AxiomVS.php

Duce 

Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 14:41
Duce, have you tried that stock yet?
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 15:09

No I have been trying to buy the rifle & stock combination but they seem to be hard to find I have had 2 dealers looking without any luck on the combo. Never had such a hard time trying to spend my money.

Duce 

Duce
rem700mag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem700mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 17:33
The recoil does not bother me but the trigger is heavy. does anyone have pictures or detailed instructions on how to lighten that up Rancid Coolaid said he knew can you help or p.m. me  instructrions on how to i would appreciate it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 18:41

http://www.theoutdoorwriter.com/shooting/r700_trigger_2.htm

That will deal with the trigger issue.  If it is purely a bench gun, I'd go as low as possible.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 20:39
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Don't miss!

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic