OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

325 WSM SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAShotgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 325 WSM SCOPE
    Posted: July/28/2007 at 23:38

Hi!  Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a new Kimber 8400 Montana in 325 wsm and it needs a scope.  

Used for elk and hopefully brown bear. 

Range 75 - 400 yds.

Budget ~ $650.

Wants: Light weight, tough, holds zero, great tracking, very good glass, plenty of eye relief and low mounting.

Temporarily have a Weaver GS mounted and the eye relief is a bit snug.

Looking at: Swarovski A-Line 3-9x36 (samplelist)

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

Sightron Big Sky 3-9x42

I have and am familiar with FFIIs, 4200s, GSs, VX-IIIs and

Conquests.  Like the Conquests, but am intriqued by the Big Skys and always wanted a Swaro.

Any opinions and\or suggestions?

btw.  Won't buy another Leupold! (Overpriced for what you get imo)

Thanks!

Edited by IAShotgun
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 04:05
IAShotgun....................Can`t blame you for Leupold overpricing..........Your list is pretty thorough with all as excellent choices. I own an Elite 4200 in the 3 X 9 which sits conventionally on my compact Ruger M77 Frontier MK2, 300 WSM....Your Kimber probably weighs the same or less than mine. While my 4200 does not have quite the eye relief as the Zeiss or others, I have not had any scope marks placed around my left eye due to recoil even when using hotter reloads...........For the bucks, I believe the Elite 4200`s are the best deals going....For your .325 WSM, my pick would be the 2.5 X 10....Your eyes will make your final scope choice!  
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 04:19
IAShotgun, you should really check the new Kahles line.  I have several along with a couple Swarovski's and they are awesome!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 07:32

first welcome to the ot!! you sound like me a guy who wants what he wants and isnt affraid to drop a buck or two, and i totally agree with you on the leupold comment. if you want a swaro or a kahles they would be my first choices, you may want to check the eye relief figures out on those if that 325 wsm is anything like my 300wsm its a kicking sob, so that might be an important number to check on, kimber makes a beautiful rifle and they are usually very accurate pull up nice and just feel good. so i dont blame you for wanting to drop some coin for a good piece of glass.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
IAShotgun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAShotgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 19:49

Thanks for the replies.

Really like my 4200s, but on this rifle I think I need a bit more eye relief.  The kick is easily managable, but the rifle is soo light that I get noticable muzzle rise and the GS I have on it brushes my eyebrow on occasion (could use an extra .25 inches relief).

I'll compare the Kahles and Swaros if I can find anyone around here who has them.  How do they compare to

the Conquest line?

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 20:17

I'll cast another vote for Kahles. The resolution and brightness are excellent and they are very rugged.

You can score one for a very good price on the sample list.

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mf g_selection=5&prod_type=-1&hide_sold=false

The 2-7x36 would serve you well on a heavy kicker like the .325.

Good luck and welcome to O.T.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 00:59

Welcome to OT, IAShotgun!

It sounds like you have your heart set on the Swaro, so that's what I'd recommend you get (or, the same goes for the Kahles, which in my opinion is a pretty equivalent scope), especially if you can get one within your budget from the Sample List.  If you're wanting a first class 1" tube scope, you won't find a better one than either Kahles or Swaro.  To my eyes, both Kahles and Swaro 1" tube scopes are optically superior to the Zeiss Conquest, which is a very fine scope in its own right.  Not by a huge margin, but superior nevertheless, at least to my eyes.  I have the Swaro 3-9X36 you're considering, and it's excellent in every respect, plus, it's very light and compact.  Any Kahles scope you choose will be superb as well.  Both have approx. 3.5" eye relief.  Between those two, I would choose whichever I got the better deal on and which one you like better specification-wise, because you truly won't go wrong either way.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 06:21

All three of the scopes Ted is speaking about are in the group of guys I hunt with. I think his opinion is right on.

Doug

IAShotgun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAShotgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 20:53

Thanks for the welcomes and replies!

Looks like I'll have to buy without a hands-on, as nobody around my area has either Kahles or Swarovski

in stock.  Feel alot better about either after the endorsements here.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 22:35
5214209972 New Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                New Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 800
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Free $20.00 Zeiss Conquest Baseball Cap w/ Purchase
SWFA: $674.95

More Info... Buy Now

5214209971 New Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                New Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 600
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Free $20.00 Zeiss Conquest Baseball Cap w/ Purchase
SWFA: $674.95
More Info... Buy Now

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/3dc0003 746ab21148525726200057786

The winchester balistics show significant difference depending on which weight bullet you use try to match the reticle with the trajectory of the bullet and this would be a good set up for you.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic