OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

17 HMR scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17 HMR scope
    Posted: July/28/2007 at 04:15

i have a volquartsen SG1 17 HMR and an unused bushnell 4200 1.5-6.  the  range will be 175 yards or less as that seems to be the effective cartride range (yes i know there is always the guy you kills at 300 yards! and i have a 22/250 for that).  i don't see the need for a ballistic reticle as from the charts it would appear if sighted in 1.5 " at 50 yards  the drop should be about 1.5" at 150 yards which should mean just put the cross hairs on the PD and stay within the killing power of the cartridge.  6x should be more than enough at such a short distance.  since i have yet to venture west to the real world of PDs any comments would be appreciated.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2007 at 18:08

Take the 22/250 with you many of the shots in open country are more than 175 yards, If you are going where there are lots of pdog towns bring a lot of ammo.

Duce

Duce
Pball942 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pball942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 06:00

A 6x will do what you want. Personally I use a Tasco 3-9x 32mm   http://www.swfa.com/pc-9893-746-tasco-3-9x32-22-riflescope.a spx mounted on a Marlin 917V.

But I like to see a bigger target. And for the price I like my Tasco for pdog hunting. If you do get to come west let me know, got lots of em running around. So I get to go out every weekend as long as it's warm enough.

Legs in the Air View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 20:30

Cruft: I think you're right on with your assessment of the limitations of the .17 hmr. I have both calibers that you mentioned and they're both a ton of fun to use within their own arena.

The nice thing about shooting p-dogs or in my case ground squirrels. Low-light problems don't exist cause the best shooting days are bright and sunny.

I have a cheap tasco on my .22-250 which holds it's zero well and works for those long shots on gophers out of the range of my .17 hmr. But when it comes to shooting coyotes in the early morning or evening, well it just isn't good enough.

Definitely looking to upgrade... and shoot more coyotes at dusk!

Just 'cause there's clouds on the horizon doesn't mean it's gonna rain...
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 13:40
Depends on your eyes, but for me I have 2-17HMR's that I too take PD Hunting one has a 4.5x14x40 and the other 6x18x40 I like the extra power when needed or if you choose to use it.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 17:47
thanks to all for your insights.  decided to put on my unused burris 3-12 euro diamond w/ ballistic plex on the 17 HMR.  probably over scoped (may not when after ground squirrels) and no need for the ballistic reticle, but it has superb optics and it's paid for.  the 22/250 will get a lupe VX 111 6.5-20x40 LR w/ the varmint hunters reticle and side focus.  this is new and traded it and cash here (thanks).  now for an unmentioned gun have a georgeous tompson encore with three accuracy barrels; 223, 6.5x55 swede & 6mmBr.  what to do?
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 09:19

Figuring out what to to on a .17HMR, took me a little while. Finally I settle on the solution shown on the lower rifle a Model 57 Cooper.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 13:10
 Nice rigs, Critter!
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 14:22
critter, what's the scope?
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 14:25
critter, and what's behind it?
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 00:09

Scopes are both USO Sn-3 with different configurations.

Bottom Scope is SN-3 3.2-17x44 30mm tube, .25 MOA EREK, Lit MOA Scale with USO rings and custom USO rail for this rifle.

Top scope is the first USO I purchased. Currently made of unobtainium it is a SN-3 6-30x58 with 35mm Tube and lit MIL Dot.

The current scope for high power is a 10-40x80 SN-9.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 07:08
Very nice rifle and scope setup, great for camping out in pdog country and spend a few days shooting.

Duce Excellent
Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 07:20
When you go west for pdogs you may want to call ahead and find out if the farmers have been poisoning or using propane to blow up pdogs towns. They have been doing this in Neb and western Ks. It seems we can`t shoot enough of them to make a difference so some farmers have used more drastic measures. When you find a good area it is easy to go through 1500 to 2000 rounds in 2 or 3 days ammo is less expensive when you plan ahead.

Duce  Big%20Smile
Duce
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 14:40
Those of you that wonder why high resolution scopes with accurate parallax control can be useful when hunting PDs in Northeastern Montana may find this picture helpful:

ColoKeb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColoKeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 18:05
I have been using a BSA Sweet 17 4-12 scope and I do make many P-Dog kills measured at 230-260 Yards.  My season kills runs over a thousand.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 21:03
I too hunt in western KS and Colo for PD's. I thought I was over scoped with the 6x24 or 6x18, but man I am glad to have them.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2008 at 05:48
That picture looks a lot like Kansas & Nebraska, lots of wide open and wind and long shots.

Duce Big%20Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic