OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45 comments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45 comments
    Posted: July/27/2007 at 19:49

One of the local outdoor/hunting stores had a high-end optics field trial last night from 7 p.m. until dusk.  Among the many riflescopes in attendence was the Leupold VX-7.  I thought I would give it a look-see, considering it marks their attempt to compete with the high-end european stuff.

Needless to say I was terribly disappointed.  For $1,500, I'm not sure how this will compete.  While they weren't available for a side by side last night, I have previously looked through the Z6, Diavari and Schmidt & Bender at low light and there is just no comparison.  Relative to what was there last night, the Leupold was outdone by both the Swarovski 3-10x42 American and the Kahles 3-9x42 Helia CL, both of which can be had for < $1,000.  When I say outdone, I'm referring to features such as brightness and resolution (note the time of the test...)

There is always the possibility this scope was a lemon, but I consider that doubtful considering the store obviously has the incentive to put the best models on display for their customers. 

This just reiterates my view that some things you just don't buy American, and good glass is one of them.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 20:51
Leupold sucks!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 21:10

I recently looked at the same model VX-7, and my main criticism of it had nothing to do with its optics.  In fact, optically, it actually looked pretty good to me, although I was inside a store, which doesn't tell you a whole lot.  What I found very odd and rather idiotic about these scopes is the fast focus eyepiece terminated in a very sharp edge, with no rubber guard or large radius, and it had no knurling or serrations to aid in turning the eyepiece.  If that scope ever hit someone's brow from recoil, it looked to me like it would cause serious injury!  I just can't understand why Leupold wouldn't recognize this as a problem.

To their credit, I did really like the non-removable pop-up turret cap feature, which means you'd never lose the caps, and the clicks seemed very positive and audible.

I'm in no way a Leupold hater, nor am I a devoted fan either.  I have a few of their scopes, all of which I like for their intended purpose and have no intention of replacing.  For all their faults, they do offer a bunch of model options and some good reticles.  But, for the VX-7s price tag, I would choose other high end models, if for no other reason than I have experience with Zeiss, Swaro, S&B, Kahles, etc, and the VX-7 hasn't yet proven whether or not it's a worthy contender in this class of scopes.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2007 at 11:15

Rifledude -

I would second the non-removable pop-up cap feature, and I also like the magnetic components in the objective lens and eyepiece covers. Nice features to be sure, but not when a scope < 2/3 the cost outperforms at the most critical moments of the day!

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2007 at 11:57

the vx-7 come with an alumina screw in rubber eyepiece guard that some one forgot to install , for only the occasional dial-in the caps work great, as in hunting scope, wish leo would put this glass in the Mk4s

while the glass in the z6 was clearly ahead , it wasn't as "heavy duty" and has no AO. still the 1.7x10 was a knock out, but would take the higher power vx7s. to me the real question would be whether the swaro can hold up.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic