OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Favorite hunting action

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is your favorite action for hunting
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [68.57%]
10 [14.29%]
3 [4.29%]
7 [10.00%]
2 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite hunting action
    Posted: July/27/2007 at 13:36
sorry i do so many polls,its just fun to see what people think and stuff,so thank you all for voting
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 16:26
No contest.  The bolt action rules.  Yes, if I were ultra wealthy, the helpless romatic in me would probably cry out for an elegant, beautifully made double rifle.  I also like the elegant simplicity and nostalgia of a nice falling block single shot.  But for a "meat and potatoes" hunting rifle I can depend on and will provide the best possible accuracy of any of the others, give me a good bolt action any day!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 18:02
plus when you compare the acutal strength of the parts of the action with exception to a single shot maybe, bolt can withstand a lot of pressure.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 11:49
I`ll get in on this one too!!............................BOLT....................... ...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 12:37
Bolt
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 19:29
Lever Action- nostalgic and fun.. Gotta have a thutty-thutty

Edited by martin3175
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 20:08
Lever! Fun, Handy and we just got a rule break allowing pistol round guns like the .357, 44M and .45 long for deer season  Lots of .44 Marlins being sold!
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 20:55
Right about the lever gun. Nothing like carrying one with your hand around the receiver sans scope. Very well balanced and easy to carry. The Ruger Number one carries real nice without a scope, too. Too bad you need good glass to see the beasts in low light.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2007 at 09:47

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

No contest.  The bolt action rules.  Yes, if I were ultra wealthy, the helpless romatic in me would probably cry out for an elegant, beautifully made double rifle.  I also like the elegant simplicity and nostalgia of a nice falling block single shot.  But for a "meat and potatoes" hunting rifle I can depend on and will provide the best possible accuracy of any of the others, give me a good bolt action any day!

Same here.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2007 at 18:52

I voted bolt gun, of course. A lever is a close second.

WHO voted for a semi auto???? 

saladin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 22:21

i went with single shot - specifically a #1 falling block.  just love the action

ruger #1-V .204 / tikka T3 varmint 22/250 / CZ 550 minnesota .308w / CZ452 .22lr hb
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 15:35

I did for one...... as in a BAR....... I have a 30-06...... .243 & .308(if my step-mother gives it back to me since my Dad died) and I love them...... I also like them for the uplands as well.... I have a Gold Hunter & several Mod 11 Remingtons too.  Oh yea and a Browning Semi Auto .22..... talk about sweet!  The Brownings I have never jam!  And they are accurate enough for the type of shooting I do.

And they suck up some of the recoil..... which allows me to shoot even better than I do with a bolt...... at least in the heavier calibers!

Thank God for Mr. Browning!

P.S.....almost forgot my 9mm....... now that's fun baby 

take em!
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2007 at 00:36

Not just a bolt, but a Mauser action.

ranburr

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 12:40
bolt 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Danaconda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danaconda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 14:20
BOLT...........HANDS DOWN
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 17:24

Not just a bolt, but a Mauser action. (as written by ranburr)

Now that I have a bolt action Mauser, I concur.

But my Marlin MR-7 and Savage 10 bolt actions don't suck either!Beating a Dead Horse

"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 18:06
Bolt for me, I really like the browning and weatherby actions.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 20:06
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 13:21
Now that I know Mike can reanimate the dead...........I'm with Roy

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 13:22
Remington pump rifle in .30-06.  Very accurate, very fast, very reliable, comes up easily to a natural point just like my 870 shotguns.

For bigger game and calibers, Remington 700 bolt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic