OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steiner Peregrine XP 8 x 44

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steiner Peregrine XP 8 x 44
    Posted: July/26/2007 at 21:22

One of the local outdoor/hunting equipment stores held a high-end optics field test for their customers tonight.  While I'm full on binoculars, I took the liberty to test a couple of pairs, including these Steiners.

All I have to say is MAN ARE THESE OVERPRICED!  I was thoroughly disappointed, and can't imagine they will survive with their $1,600 price point, particularly going head to head against the Big 3. 

I thought the best feature was edge-to-edge sharpness, which was quite good (perhaps 2nd only to the Swarovskis). 

Contrast, brightness, and resolution, however were all lacking.  Focus knob was quite "notchy" but I know some people prefer that.

Anyway, just thought I would share.  Needless to say if you've got that kind of cash to spend on binoculars, I'd look elsewhere.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 19:39
NOT SURE WHERE YOU READ your review, however, the Peregrine XP's have been related as "outstanding" resolution. These bino's were 9 yrs in the making and as one staffer commented "they really must have bee\n listening to serious Bini user. they are some the  brighter  Bini's on the market. Neoprene thumb rests, near perfect focusing ratio. They took direct aim at the world's greatest bino's and in my opinion they are right there with the finest available. True, however, their price tags are somewhat steep. ButI can assure you they compete with the works finest. Also. keep in mind, the Steiner is the leading manufacture in durability and waterproof standards. If you are skeptical, Steiner is running a 30 day no questions asked return if you are unsatisfied that thes are some of the finest bino's on the market. Bright, clear. high degree of contrast and no questions durableone of the most durable bino's,ever With their 30 day no questions, that'a a pretty strong statement. You have nothing to loose. Steiner repretation for buildabile binocularsis second to none.

Edited by Roy Finn
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 11:59

Roy Finn-

You didn't read what I wrote too closely.  I didn't read any reviews...I LOOKED THROUGH THEM with my own eyes in evening/dusk conditions.  As a result, I am not skeptical, and I don't believe they compete with the world's finest, considering I already own a pair of those.  I also mention that I am full on binoculars, so I don't currently own them, thank goodness.

If Steiner's are so great, why are there loads of them on the sample list that nobody wants?  If they are so durable, they would be a steal at such discounted/used prices.

No worries, if you own them and like them, I am happy for you.

ND2000

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2007 at 15:37
I own a pair of Steiner Peregrine's and I think they are great. My comment on "outstanding resolution" was from a Field and Stream Gear Test. I would agree with you about the pricing. There are many great options out there for $1600. I have not looked at the Samplelist lately, so I can't comment on how many Peregrine's are for sale. If you could tell me which one of the "big three" offer a 30 trial period, please let me know so I can give them a workout.

Edited by Roy Finn
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 08:06

Roy -

I'm not sure if there are any Peregrine's on the sample list.  I was referring to Steiner's more generally.

I don't think any of the Big 3 have a 30-day trial period from the manufacturer.  However, there are several online sites that offer customers a 30-day guarantee on all purchases.  PM me if you are serious.

ND2000

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic