OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Alaska black bear?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Alaska black bear?
    Posted: July/25/2007 at 19:07
Budget is $400. I am considering the Sightron II 1 1/2-6x40mm for about $200/ Burris Select 1 1/2-6x40mm for $350/ Leupold VX III 1 3/4 - 6x32 for $400, Leupold VX II 2-7x33mm for $300/ Bushnell 4200 1 1/2-6x36mm for about $340. I will mount it on my Ruger 338 win mag stainless. Anything wrong with the Sightron II for $200? Appreciate any advice you may have/ Chaz
chazgreen
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 19:54
Chazgreen -

From you list, I would tell you to go with the Bushnell.  Two I would recommend that are not on your list, both ahead of the Bushnell, would be the Zeiss Conquest and Kahles.  I think the Conquest can be had for $400 right now, the Kahles would need to be pre-owned (check the samplelist).  I think you'd find the 4X fixed Kahles just perfect for such a hunt.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 21:24
Go with the 4200 Elite..You would have to double your money to gain any ( maybe a little) optical clarity over this model, plus the Rainguard would definitely provide an advantage in Alaska.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 06:38
i would use the zeiss because its a great scope its inside your price range from your list and its got the constant 4" or eye relief for your .338
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 08:35

I like the glass on the bushnell 4200 but to tell you the truth I TRUST the Leupold VXIII and when you are taking about hunting where the inhabitants will eat you ------ I'd buy the Leupold,         I might consider a U.S. Optics$$ or a Schmidt Bender$$ but I know the Leupold will take a beating and still keep working. If it was only deer hunting in an area without bears I might go with a Sightron or one of the other scopes but I would have to have several years of experience with it to trust it especially on a high recoil gun.  I might trust the Bushnell 4200 after a little time with it but I definately have had some problems with Burris scopes in the last two years that say no way.

LEU55036 Leupold 1.75-6x32 VX-III Riflescope                                                                                     Leupold 1.75-6x32 VX-III Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $399.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 09:19
I've used  4200's on a 340 Weatherby and a 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun extensively for years now and no issues, Plus , I own several 2.5-10 4200's and no worries at all. Admittedly, I have 3 VX-III's 2.5-8's and they have been reliable also, but they lack Rainguard and are more expensive .

Edited by martin3175
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 10:31

Chaz, I'm doing the same hunt and have a 300 WM with a Conquest.  For the bear that takes a hit and keeps coming, I have a Ruger Alaskan Guide revolver in .454 Casull.  If 3 rounds from the rifle and 6 rounds from the .454 don't stop Smokey, I'm destined for hunting failure and a quick departure from this world.

Confidence is the name of the hunting game.  I have much confidence in Zeiss (and little in Leupold, but that's a different post) and am gaining with my Bushnell 4200.  Buy the best you can afford and still have $$ left over to shoot.  I advise you not go cheap: nothing would suck more than your $5,000 hunting trip ruined by a crapped out $200 scope.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 10:39

The Bushnell 4200 probably doesnt have as much internal adjustment as the VXIII but the glass is quite good on the Bushnell 4200. I just have not had one on a heavy caliber yet, probably will pick up a 4-16x40 for a 30-06 very soon.

The Zeiss should be a good choice and the 3-9 is a good price on Samplelist.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 11:57
[

LEU55036 Leupold 1.75-6x32 VX-III Riflescope                                                                                     Leupold 1.75-6x32 VX-III Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $399.95
More Info...

[/QUOTE]

On your list I would chose the VX-III or the 4200. The VX-III is more forgiving with eye relief and is well established for taking a beating. The smaller objective is plenty bright enough and the low profile is a bit easier to carry through the alders.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 12:12
I would probably go with the SIghtron.  I've never heard of any durability issues with them and at $200, it is an absolute steal. 

Of the scopes that have failed on me over the last few years, Leupold (VX-II for the most part) has stood out as the one with the most problems, so I think that the "bulletproof" reputation Leupold has, is either a thing of the past or is simply based on anecdotal evidence.  Now my experience is also insignificant, statistically speaking, and also anecdotal.   From  what I've seen, I'd say most decent brands are similarly reliable: Elite 4200, Leupold VX-III, Burris, Sightron, etc.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 12:56
From my experience the Elite and V3 are very durable, anecdotal for sure. The Signature breakdown I had occurred with a 6-24 Signature. That doesn't go for all Burris scopes since I still have several. It has made me gun shy, though.

Edited by tahqua
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 13:00

I would be concerned with the mounts, I would want a mount on that rifle that allows co-witnessing of the iron sights

the bear you meet may be a big brown griz up close instead of a smaller black. I have been to Alaska and I am impressed with the intelligence and size of those bears. Don`t make the mistake of underestimateing them .

Duce 

Duce
chazgreen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 13:18
Chris Farris/ please feel free to jump in here; I value your opinion/experience/ Chaz
chazgreen
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 14:24
Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 19:01

More bear stuff ( I like bears they are fun to watch as long as they are not chaseing you)

http://www.alaskareport.com/lehmer70003.htm

http://www.emeraldairservice.com/photo1.htm

And if you change you mind and slip off to Las Vegas and still need some bear photos to show at home of the great hunt

http://www.animatronicbear.com/semirealistic.html

Duce 

Duce
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 22:42
Chazgreen!!!!.....................First of all, pick the best variable that suits the caliber for which you are shooting!!!! Not specifically for a black bear or any other game animal...............Your .338 Win. is an excellent long range shooter. So in my view, it would be necessary to have a scope that would cover the shorter, medium range shots AND longer shots as well...........For your 338, my best advice if given the same set of circumstances as yourself, would be to get a 3 X 9 variable or a 2.5 X 10!  Those two are your best all around variables......On the low end, the 2.5 or 3x, for the shorter shots, at say 30 to 40 yards or so, will give you a good field of view for bears in that short range situation.  And then of course, you are going to have better capability on the higher magnifications, just in case, you ever need it!!!! You just may need that some day!!!!!...............................Alot of people will give you plenty of advice, including myself, as to which scope to buy. Keep in mind that like you, I too was a shopper who diligently did some research, read articles and did homework before making my purchase!!!.......Before my purchase, my questions were simple;;; "What scope on the market today, gives the best value for the dollar,,,, AND WHY???  AND/OR "Which scope gives the best feature/benefit ratio to the dollar spent?" Many will give their opinions and say go with this or go with that, but don`t offer a detailed explanation as to why!!!....Remember too, that I have NO loyalty to any manufacturer, but I will give you my best, honest opinion based on my own hunting/shooting experience of 35 years!..........................Purchased last March, I own the Bushnell Elite 4200 in the 3 X 9!!!...WHY?.......Several reasons!.....First, starting with it`s CONSTRUCTION and DURABILITY, the Elite 4200 utilizes a one piece main tube made from a combo of aluminum and titanium alloy which gives it superior strength, ( by 30%), over the standard aluminum tubes. This scope has been recoil tested by Bushnell, for thousands of rounds sitting on a 375 H&H. It is shockproof, rainproof, snowproof, fogproof,,,you name it proof!!!........Secondly, all OPTICS are fully coated and feature the added Rainguard benefit, which really does work!!! You will never, never, under ANY weather situation, lose a shot because of a partially blurry scope lens!!! The Elite`s lenses will remain as clear as a bell at all times!!!.....The optical clarity and resolution on the Elite are simply outstanding in all magnifications!! The Zeiss Conquest though SLIGHTLY brighter, is also more money. But the Elite is just as clear. I compared the Elite and the Conquest and could not justify the extra cost.......This scope is very easy to zero. Has easy to read adj`s w/ audible clicks!!! JUST SET IT and FORGET IT!!!! Has a fast focus on the front eyepiece thats very quick to adjust for any quick target acquistion.........However, the Elite 4200 does have a shorter eye relief. Well! I don`t have a problem with my 300 WSM compact weighing only 7 lbs. 5oz. with scope, even when using my hotter hunting reloads. Your .338 is heavier!!!!! The Elite does have a rubber coated eye piece!!!..........In looking at and comparing the construction, durability, optical clarity, plus the Rainguard of the Elite 4200, to the Leupold VX111, to the Nikon Monarch, to the Zeiss Conquest, (my final top 4 choices), as well as others, I have concluded,,,,THAT FOR THE MONEY,,,, the Elite 4200, is the best scope on the market, with the best features and benefits vs. to dollars spent ratio!!!!........Others for about the same money or price range, may compare to a degree, but there is none better than the Elite 4200!!!! If so, I`d own it instead!!!..............If someone out there can come up with a BETTER scope, for the SAME money and effectively justify WHY, I`m waiting and watching. I`d sure like to know!!!  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 02:33
For the money, Sightron S2, as it is currrently priced, is probably a better deal.  The glass is in the ballpark, mechanical reliability is about the same.  Eye relief is longer and more flexible. Windage/Elevation adjustments are as good or better and the adjustment range is substantially greater.

ILya
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 08:03
Did look at the Sightron S2............Sorry!!!!!........Taking everything into account, I couldn`t see a better scope in the S2!..... Perhaps equal but not better!!!!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 09:45

Dance with who brung ya'

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 17:20

S2 is not a better scope than Elite 4200, but it is cheaper.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic