OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope For a 300 Win Mag.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboys78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope For a 300 Win Mag.
    Posted: September/24/2004 at 22:47

Hello,

I need your advise on a good long and short range scope for a Savage 300 Win Mag.

I've looked at the Burris fullfield II 4.5 14x42,  Nikon Buckmaster? I'm trying

to stay with under $400 if possible. Would the brand of scopes stand up to the

pounding of a Win Mag? I'm open to suggestions of other brands.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2004 at 23:02

Between the two, go with the Burris.  And yes it will hold up.

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2004 at 23:30
cowboys78, what will you be using the 300 WM for? And, when you say short range, how short is short for your purposes?
cowboys78 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboys78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2004 at 23:58

I going to New Mexico for Elk. I want to be able to drop one at 300 yrs. I'm planning on

bear and caribou hunts. I may go down to 308, I'm in the final stages of making my choice.

cowboys78 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboys78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2004 at 00:10

Compar Springfield Arms and Burris. What do your great minds think?

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2004 at 00:15
If Elk hunting is on the menu, I would differently go with the 300WM. They are tough to put down. If 300 yards is the long shot, and bear and caribou are future game, I really don't thing you will need a scope in the 4-14 power range. A high quality 3-9, 2.5-10 will serve you better. As ranburr stated, the the Burris would be my pick over the Nikon. Burris, Bushnell Elite 4200's and Leupolds all have well earned reputations for durability. Optically, the Burris Signature Select and he 4200 are better than the Leupold's in your price range. If you plan to hunt Caribou, invest in good rain gear and a scope with Rainguard!!!!!
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2004 at 01:53

I agree with pretty much everything Roy says on this one.  If 300 yards is your long range, a 3-9 is about ideal.  You can throw in my standard Zeiss Conquest for $429.00.  I personally would go with the .308 over the .300 Win Mag unless you are really used to shooting the magnum.  I am not a magnum kind of guy and I think that the .308 and .30-06 can do just about anything a Win mag can do at the ranges you are talking.  As far as the Springfield goes, they have good guns, they should stick with guns.

ranburr 

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2004 at 17:54

i also beleave that a 308 is a much better choice over the 300 win mag, because you will be able to handle it alot better, and place the shots better, and i think its sufficient to kill an elk out to 400 yards. as for the scope, i think i would go with a burris FF2 3-9x40 w/ Ballistic plex, and free spotter.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
ntackett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ntackett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 06:22

Cowboys78 I agree with all, I have a M77 ruger 300 wm with a leupold 3-12/40 vx11

after 10 years it is still there.

If you go with the 300, i have found the 150gr bullets do fine and less recoil than the 180 range.

Good hunting and good luck

Norm

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 09:36
I disagree that Springfield has good guns.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 10:00

I have a SA 1911A1 .45acp that has over 15,000 rounds through it that would disagree with you.

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 12:45

SA, not good guns, you kidding me?????? as far as im concerned, that they make jsut about the best 1911 there is, but that is my opinion. and they make soem awesoem M1A's too.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2004 at 23:37
When you stated that bear were on the menu, are we talking brown or black? Perhaps a few phone calls or e-mails to guides/outfitters would be in order. NOT to find out what hunters show-up with in camp, but what they feel would do the job. I assumed that you had shot a 300 WM which is why I made my suggestion. As ranburr stated, at the ranges you intend to shoot at for Elk the 30/06 will work just fine. Same goes for caribou. However, if brown bear are in your future and you can handle the recoil of the 300WM, I would opt for the 300. Whatever gun that you can shoot best with will be the right choice in the end.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 08:50
I had a Springfield Defender shear its lugs after 3000 rds pretty hard for a ramped barrel, a Champion crack it's frame, a SAR (CETME) that was recalled from the factory because the barrel had been misfitt (which they never sent back) So yes I paid for my opinion. In the early days of IPSC when Leatham and Wilson were first starting, all Wilson's guns were built on Springfield and even today the Custom parts used on Springfield come from Wilson in part trade agreement. I have Series 70 Colts fitted with Barstos that have gone past 100,000 rds. that date from the 70's (although I hate to admit it)
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 10:44

Good point Roy.  I also have some good Series 70s Dale.  I also have some Colts that have crapped out on me while my SA were still going strong.  Everyone makes an occasional lemmon and I and many people that I know have had a fantastic track record with the Springfields.

ranburr

cowboys78 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboys78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 20:53

Thanks for the info. The 300WM dose have a muzzle brake which help reduce the recoil.

The 308. has crossed my mind a time or two. Would a 3x9 pull in antlope from 500 yrs.?

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 21:57

If you do your part a 3-9 will do its' part.

ranburr

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2004 at 06:34
I have seen Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 sell for under $400. Great scope. I like the 3.5-10x44mm Conquest a little better, but it's closer to being over your $400 budget.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2004 at 09:52
Springfield barrels are two piece jobs, and must be replaced if a comp is installed. Even if one uses the original barrel the locking lubs rarely fit all 3 barrel lugs into the slide. Check the wear marks on your gun.  The pin centers for the hammer and sear are rarely in alignment and the total quality is seldom on the level as a hand fit gun when using a caspian or Bauer frame. Their barrel bushings when they use them are far to soft and have a tendency to "hammer" out under the recoil of 200 practice rounds fired every day for competitive shooting.If the Sringfields being used are sufficient for their owners I'm happy for them. All I ask is How many guns have they built?
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2004 at 10:24

I don't use a comp and I use King's or Briley's bushings in all my 1911s (even the Colts).  Last count I had around 37 .45s and have had well over 100 pass through my hands.  Never had a problem with a Springfield.  I don't expect anything that is not from the custom shop to fit as well as a hand fit pistol.  And I don't expect standard production guns to cost as much as a custom build.  It used to cost me a couple of hundred bucks to get a production gun up to the level that I wanted with me doing the work.  Now, the aftermarket expense is very minimal and it is more or less a question of time to get everything how I want it.  Production pistols have improved dramatically in the last few years since Kimber has forced everyone to play catch up.  No, I do not shoot competition, but I do shoot 200-500 rounds a day three to five days per week.  I am fortuneate that a close friend owns a range and I essentially have an endless supply of free ammo and range time.  As far as carry/defense guns go, I would take an out of the box Sprindfield over an out of the box Colt any day of the week.  After a little bit of work they are both very good.  But straight out of the box standard production guns, I would have to say that Springfield and Kimber are the two best.  I am not counting the semi-custom guns from Baur, Rock River, Wilson, etc.  By the way, how did we get on a .45 debate?   

ranburr     

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic