OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spring hunting in Texas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sly_vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring hunting in Texas
    Posted: July/25/2007 at 07:45

Texas trip:
I went to Texas, in May where I hunted with Glenn Guess and his wife, Michelle. Glenn and Michelle take great pride in their hunting abilities and success. They are a tight knit family, that hold tremendous value to the hunting world. Keep an eye out on these two incredible hunters, because they are unsurpassed.
On the first evening, I harvested a jake, with my Remington 12 gauge. We worked a mature bird, who was slick enough to stay out of range and waltz away with his hen friends. This jake showed up, just about on my lap, with a different mature bird, again just out of range. Just about the time we spotted each other, it was too late for him at less than 10 yards. It was just a jake, but I was beaming. 3 other birds were gobbling, but I was glad for what I got. I knew that I had more time and would try for a mature bird on another day.
Day #2, we had 3 jakes come in, but I was hoping for a long beard. So we left on a good note and in hopes that the next day would pan out golden.
Day#3, we went to a different spot. We were on for turkey hunting, until Glenn spotted giant hog tracks. We ditched the idea of turkey hunting and took off in search of wild beasts. When we got bored with trying to find him, Glenn jammed the gears and wondered if I would be into trying to call in a coyote. Let me just say, if there is one thing I am really starting to love about Texas, it is that if one thing you are trying to hunt for isn't coming together nicely, you just go after something else. Glenn and I set up for coyote hunting and it didn't take long for this dry female to show up. Coated with fleas, limping from a snake bite and was packing a horrific smell. Her fleas were jumping on me while we were trying to get a good picture.
Day#4, Glenn and Michelle took me to a new place, where we had a few birds gobbling, but the bachelors never showed up. I suppose that crossing a high creek, wasn't worth getting a girlfriend. Gobblers can be so easy one time and then the next, difficult. Oh well, another day was only a night's sleep away.
Day #5, We headed back to where I had shot that bird, the first day. The morning was promising as the sun was coming up, gobblers were sounding off. However, a nasty swamp between us, kept them away. Later in the morning, we heard some birds gobbling on our side of the swamp. I had never taken a gobbler with a rifle and decided I'd like to give it a shot. We aren't allowed to do that here in PA and I don't know where else I would get the chance to do so. There were 3 gobblers hanging together. I picked one out and left him have it. He had a decent beard and after I shot, I went running to him. Ah, another jake. Respectable beard at 6 1/2" though. Glenn has a beard pulling technique that I asked him to show me again on this bird. Yep, he pulled if off alright. I seen more beard there, instantly, I thought, oh man, you left some on. (?) NO!!! This gobbler actually had 3 beards. I was shocked. Below is a picture of the gobbler and a picture I took of his 3 beards when I got home. Once again, turkeys weren't talking much so Glenn and I set up to call coyotes again. After sitting there for sometime, the cows came running across the prairie with a coyote in front of them, hauling butt. Funny, because right behind the cows was another coyote. I didn't get a chance to get the gun up because of the cattle, but seeing the coyotes was neat. We continued to try for another gobbler, but we were left empty handed. I thought to myself, the evening would be better. Glenn and I set up between a field and a roosting area. Sure enough a big'ole tom came into the area with a few gal pals. Gobbling his head off. I caught a few glimpses of him in full strut. My blood was on fire as I thought for sure this would be the big tom, I was hoping for. It was unbelievably thick and I couldn't see him, but we could hear him, strumming (strutting/drumming) loudly. So frustrating, because I knew he was so close. I never got a shot, because all in a second I was busted and he was out of there. On the way out Glenn and I held a good attitude about what happened and I simply thought, "That bird, just wasn't meant for me today." On the way out, I stopped in my tracks to the sound of pigs, fighting. Nothing lights Glenn up faster than the sound of hogs, fighting. He stopped for a second to say, "pigs...they're fighting, lets go!!!" Just like that, I lost him in all the brush. Once I finally caught up to him, he was already watching them. I picked one out that was coming right to us, less than 20 yards away. I shot him with Glenn's .243. When he dropped it got pretty interesting, when they scattered. You just didn't know if they were coming or going, so staying ready is key. If there is one thing I learned it is that hogs can blend into an environment, easily. Glenn had picked out another hog that returned back to the trail and it took me a second to confirm that what I seen was that same hog. "I got him!", and pulled the trigger. This hog, also dropped. The first hog, was one I was hoping for to mount. A black one with a grizzled muzzle. The second hog was what Glenn referred to as a blue butted hog. He told me it was the first of its kind they have shot in their area. I felt special to have shot such a trophy, that I'm also going to mount him, as well. We met up with Michelle, took pictures and packed out the hogs, for supper. The top picture is of the hog, I harvested first. The bottom picture is of Glenn and I with my second hog.
Day#6, man I was beat. I had hiked and hunted my feet off. The blisters on heels and the cuts on my ankles, from my snake boots had me wanting to take a break. Not to mention the late night we had skinning pig heads out. Glenn and Michelle have some of the best kids, I have ever met and when I'm there 2 or 3 of them are talking to me at the same time. (lol...it is really cute.) It was worth staying up on the weekend to hear their exciting hunting stories. We rested the next morning away, and planned on just hunting the evening. That evening, Glenn and Michelle picked me up at my motel room and off we went. This was my last chance at getting a mature gobbler on the last day of their turkey season. After talking it over, we decided to go back into where that bird had busted me the evening before. For 2 hours, that bird had me on edge. My feet and legs were asleep. Finally, we broke his will and he offered me a shot with my Remington 12 gauge. We crawled through poison ivy, but I'll tell you what...no mosquito, tick, lice, poison, snake, chigger, cactus, or bull nettle was going to keep me from what I really wanted and that was a mature Rio Grande. This was the hardest gobbler, I have ever had to work for in the few years I have been spring turkey hunting. Since I started hunting turkeys, I heard how easy Rios are to hunt. If there is one thing I found out, a turkey, is a turkey, is a turkey!!! Easy one day, impossible the next! Instinctive, because every thing has them on the menu from the time they are an egg. It was no easy task to take a big gobbler on the last day of their season and it cost me 80+ mosquito bites, one tick bite, 2 cut ankles, 2 blistered heels, cuts, scrapes and bruises that I can't account for. All that, to harvest a Rio Grande long beard...priceless! Plus the miles and miles of Texas barbwire tore up just about every piece of camo, I own. Just about the time you think you have cleared going over, through or underneath barbwire, it grabs ahold of you and doesn't let go. For those who lack Suzy homemaker skills, duct tape works best to repair ripped up hunting pants. ha!
Glenn, his brother, my Michelle and I were worn out. In high spirits, of a tough evening hunt. Glenn asked if we were up to some night calling. After sleeping the morning away, I was good to go. A bobcat, bobcat, bobcat was all I kept talking about. It was a dark, still night...perfect for hunting with

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 07:56

i talked to Gleen guess on another site he seem's like a stand up guy.

Nice pic's

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 13:28
Great story and pics, sly_vixen!  Sounds like you had a great time.  Nice turkeys, hogs, 'yote, and bobcat!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 13:46
Well done, you need not hunt the African big five to experience hunting in its true form. Hard work makes any hunt memorable!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 15:34
looks like you had way too much fun judging by the sh*t eating grins your flashing  congrats on a successful hunt! i need to hookup with rifledude one of these days and do some of that stuff.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:19

Pyro, I probably couldn't be ready to go any sooner than maybe, say, 2 hours from now...

...'course, we'd have to go hog and predator hunting, as spring turkey season is long over...

...and, I have some cold BEER in the fridge at the hunting camp!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:22
hmmm think a 300wsm is over kill on hogs??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:36

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

hmmm think a 300wsm is over kill on hogs??

No such thing as overkill on hawgs.  They're pretty tough -- if you shoot a decent sized one behind the shoulder.  I shoot 'em in the head, so most anything directed between the eyball and ear is instant lights out.

Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:38
maybe i should borrow my buddies 416 rigby then
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:39
Nah, your .300 would do just fine!
Ted

sly_vixen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sly_vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 09:21
I'm up for hunting just about anything.  I did have a great time with the Guess family.  Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. 
Jackson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 11:43
do you think a 7.62x54 would do ok on hogs?
sly_vixen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sly_vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 12:31

It wouldn't be my choice.  I like using a .243.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 21:07
i have a firm belief in two things when it comes to guns you dont shoot anything that doesnt feel right when your behind the trigger and you dont shoot anything that you cannot physically handle,your just asking for bad results and possible injury, and the .243 is very user friendly and if you feel comfortable, and maybe just as important, confident about your rifle then to me your going to get way better end results. i like a little bit of everything, but i have no issues with the .243 i carried a .243 after elk a time or two and i didnt feel in least bit under gunned, because i knew that rifle shot very accurately and i was very comfortable with it i wasnt worried about taking a shot at a elk, course i could say the same thing about the 300's of the world but there recoil isnt for everybody.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 10:32

Originally posted by Jackson Jackson wrote:

There are mountains of dead Germans who wish they hadn't experienced the "wrong" end of this cartridge when going up against the Russians in WWII and I can't imagine that they were somehow less tough than some feral hog.

The 7.62x54 is ballistically similar to the .308 Win so; it should prove far more than adequate for hogs, deer, black bear, elk, moose, etc.  The key (as always) will be in putting your bullet where it belongs - through both lungs. 

Do make sure that when hunting with this cartridge you use an actual hunting round rather than any of the very prevalent military surplus FMJ stuff.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 10:55
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Do make sure that when hunting with this cartridge you use an actual hunting round rather than any of the very prevalent military surplus FMJ stuff.

It is wrong that there are too many hunters out there that have to be advised of this.

The .243 is a good minimum for all medium game and fortunately I know of no FMJ loads for it.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

It is wrong that there are too many hunters out there that have to be advised of this.

I agree.  However this is a failing of hunters and not of the caliber in question.

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The .243 is a good minimum for all medium game and fortunately I know of no FMJ loads for it.

Again, I agree.  However, there are 6mm bullets that would still be inappropriate for shooting medium game.  For example, the 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is a great bullet but, must be relegated to varmint and small predator (fox, coyote, raccoon, etc.) hunting status.  It would be woefully inadequate for deer or hogs and especially for anything bigger.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 13:49

I forgot to mention bullet weights and you are right on. Too many hunters don't pay attention to this.

I don't want to get too excited, though, or I'll get going on blaze orange nylon snowmobile suits and 4-12 scopes on 30-30's.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 15:16
Who puts 4-12x scopes on 30-30s?  I would think such a caliber would require a minimum of a 6-20x!!!  (Preferably one of those cool crescent-moon shaped Leupolds)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 21:58
i dont know guys 55 grain .224's will take whitetail pretty clean on a head or spine shot out of a 22-250
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic