OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

one caliber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: if you had to chose one centerfire cal. for all hunting
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.92%]
4 [3.67%]
38 [34.86%]
14 [12.84%]
24 [22.02%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [5.50%]
0 [0.00%]
22 [20.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 22:08
yeah see im alot smaller then you guys thats why i probly go for the samller cailbers to,im 5'5 and maybe 150 now lol so you boys can have your .300's i'll stick to my 30-30 and slug gun for deer hunting
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 07:35

30.06 will kill anything on this planet - with up to 240 grn bullets available, and all the way down to tiny varmint bullets.

i think this one takes the cake for versatility.

and it's good for 800 yards or better if the gun and marksman are up for it.

that's my vote. it's timeless. but i love my 30/30 too.

J

Jackson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 13:31
i agree with you jonbravado 30-06 is probly the best all around caliber,i like others but a 30-06 is timeless, and the 30-30 is a classic you have to love it
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 04:48
Mr. Lucznik...........The post subject here is......ONE caliber for ALL hunting! ALL hunting, I assume, means varmits to elephants and everything in between. The 30 caliber will give the best balance for that and therefore, I will kindly disagree with you!..... YES! You do need a minimum .375 for the African big stuff. However in the past, with the right bullet, elephants have been taken down with less power than a 300 magnum!...A 220 gr. FMJ steel bullet, well placed, will down an elephant and a caped buffalo.....I have read a number of articles, recent and otherwise, where the authors, with special permission, have used the 30`s for elephants and buffalos..........The .264 Win. is a great flat shooting, North American/African, varmit to thinned skinned big game cartridge, but is quite light for the buffalo or the elephant and therefore cannot complete the ENTIRE hunting spectrum as well as the .30 cal. can!.....
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 07:25
actually if you compare sectional density on the .264win mag and that of the 300winmag you get way more bang for the buck with a .264, 120 gr .264 equals roughly a 180gr .308 coming out of the 300win step up to a 140 gr .264 now you are talking about a 200 gr .308 so do you reallly gain anything between one case or another in this situation??  not really.the 6.5mms hits very hard with less recoil which is good for those who dont care for recoil 6.5x55 is a great choice for women and kids as well as the recoil conscious fellows. i have shot a few .264 win mag and i currently own a 6.5 rem mag and even those magnum calibers a very mild compared to my 300's jack o conner gets my vote in the blame game for  the lack of popularity in this nation towards 6.5's its his fault that none of them were ever a success and especially the .264 win mag which i think is the best bang for the buck in the belted magnum family, and only because roy weatherby never chambered his own.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 12:25
Pyro...........In my last post, I was talking about a 30cal. 220 gr. FMJ bullet for the big stuff!! I`m sorry, but any load used by the .264 Win. will not have the potency or compare to the .30, 220 gr. FMJ, for the elephants or the caped buffalos. Not talking about thinned skinned game here or sectional densitys with lighter bullets..............Stick with the original subject matter. Were talking about the overall,,ONE caliber,,for ALL hunting,,for ALL game scenario! In other words, which caliber, from varmits to elephants, can do it all, reloaded with the right bullet??.......Because of it`s reloading versatility and GIVEN only ONE choice, I`ll take the .30 as my 1st choice for everything. No other caliber, for THIS purpose, is better than the .30!! 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 13:47
Where did the O.P. bring up elephant and cape buffalo?
W.D.M. Bell killed most of his jumbos with a 7x57 Mauser. Scores of stunt hunters have died trying to emulate this. If you can't handle enough gun there is a certain amount of game you will have to forgo in your hunting career, plain and simple.
I'll still take a 7mm for all around hunting.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 15:41
trust me there is no bigger fan of the 300's than me, i am just saying that for any north american game namely elk deer sheep goat black bear antelope, that the .264 will kill any of those animals just as dead as the .300's the 300's just kill stuff extra dead, trust me no deer would ever get shot by either one and know the difference, yeah i realize there is some energy differences but of course we are talking about 80+ grs of bullet weight difference between the two, but give the .264's there credit where its due, for god sakes our own military is starting to use a 6.5 in there own rifles, they already tried the .308's
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 19:10
Tahqua..............The original above poll question states, "if you had to choose one centerfire caliber for ALL hunting."..............It does not say only certain game. It does not exclude buffalos or elephants. It does not ask for a 2nd or 3rd choice. It asks for one caliber, for ALL hunting!.......That`s how buffalos and elephants came into the picture....I find it interesting that Mr. Bell with whom I am familiar, used the 7x57 Mauser on many jumbos while many others have died trying using the same thing!.... So! One can conclude the the 7x57 is perhaps a little lite for the beasties??? I have not read anything yet about a hunter being killed by an elephant while using a properly reloaded .30! Have you?...........And, I will respectfully disagree with you. The 7MM magnums, when you include varmits, all North American medium and big game, all thin skinned African game, is a great cartridge and will equal in many respects the 300`s..... But. You cannot reload any 7MM that will equal the stopping power of the 220 gr. FMJ in a fast .30! The physics alone back that up. Now, I`m not saying that Mr. Bell was wrong. I believe that he simply liked the challenge of using the 7mm!...........UP TO the buffalos and elephants, the 7mm shines, but when including buffalos and elephants, based on physics alone, the .30 is a better choice.       
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 19:42
Pyro...................Your just not getting it!.... I`m not saying or disputing that the .264 isn`t capable for all N/A big game. That`s not the issue here!.... Again! The original post says,,,,"If you had to choose one centerfire caliber for ALL hunting"..............Like I explained to Tahqua, the post does not exclude buffalos or elephants. It says ALL hunting!.............UP TO buffalos and elephants the 7mm`s are excellent.........But in no way can any .264 or 7mm equal the stopping power of a 220 gr. FMJ steel bullet needed for an elephant`s skull! That`s where the fast .30`s, using the heavier bullet, takover in the elephant and buffalo dept. Sorry! That`s just the way it is. It`s called the laws of physics.....IF you EXCLUDE the big beasts, I`d rate the .264`s, the 7mm`s and the fast .30`s nearly the same!!!...............Can`t make it any clearer than that!!!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 20:08

There is no doubt that the 220 gr .308 is a deep penetrating bullet. I see what you are talking about if the thick skinned dangerous game comes into play, Big Squeeze. The problem with a .308 solid is that the hole is smaller than the medium or big bores in solids. This is fine for brain shots but no way on a body shot with a buffalo.

The poll has only the .300 Win so I will put the .338 Win with a 250 gr ahead of it. This caliber is allowed by some countires in Africa for mbogo, too.

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 20:39
Tahqua..........Remember though. When you increase the diameter of your bullet you lose a little trajectory and co-efficient needed for the long range varmit dept. When you gain a feature or benefit somewhere, you lose a feature or benefit somewhere else. The two best words that I can use to put this in proper perspective are,,,,compromise and balance!...........You wouldn`t hunt varmits with a 460 WBY and likewise you wouldn`t hunt buffalos or elephants with a .22. You have to settle for the middle ground. Taking into account from varmits to elephants, the .30 can be reloaded for any need and is the best possible compromise and balance......That`s not to say that the .338`s or 7mm mags won`t work. But, your bullet range in weights and versatility are better with the .30`s   
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 21:19
Tahqua.............Another little thought....There are alternative .30 cal.bullet choices for buffalo other than the solids used for the elephants, assuming one gets the permission to use the .30 in the first place!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 21:49
i understand what your saying, but to me african hunting isnt something any of us are going to do a lot of in our life times, face it. so i am going to base my views on what the common working man good ole boy is more than likely going to spend a majority of his time in the field chasing, so that being said i will again state that i for one love the 300's  and one reason they turn me on is there versitility. but not everyone in this world can handle them this is where the .264 win mag and the 6.5 rem mag and even if loaded down some the 7mm can be shot by almost anybody which to me makes them very versitle and face it 7mm  also offer  a pretty broad range of bullets weights which allow it to take anything from varmints to some of the largest game in north america, does it make as much energy as the 300's no, but its no slouch. the .264's are equals to the .270 and who can argue with its history, eventhough its success is based on major hype from one world famous outdoorsman, sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword. i would still pick a 300 for my one caliber but i know what my second choices would be between as well im just getting people to think a little thats all.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 22:19
I think the poll question is pretty open to interpretation.  It all depends on what "all hunting" means for you.  Therefore, there really is no right or wrong answer, only opinion.  "All hunting" could be interpreted as "any hunting you could theoretically do anywhere on earth," or "any hunting you personally will ever be interested in doing," which could be entirely different things.  If I did "all" my hunting for varmints and nothing else, for example, I'd go with the .204 Ruger.  If I did all my hunting in Africa, then I'd go for a .375 or .416.  All hunting in the Rocky mountain states -- one of the 7mm or .300 mags...
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Jackson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 22:51
i started the poll if you had to have one gun anywhere in the world what caliber would it be,i know its not like i would want to have one cailber for deer and the same for elphants but its just a question to see what is popular for hunting purposes. i think FMJ's and soilds are redklous and would never use one unless i wanted to break bone,because if you dont hit the aminal perfect,i dont care if its a .50 BMG if you dont hit the animal good,you wount find it,or maybe not even kill it,so in the end it doesnt matter if its a 220 swift or a 300 mag. its about shot placement and distance. you can aruge with me all you want but too many people kill a elk with a .243
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 05:44
Hey Guys and Jackson!!!!....... The poll by Jackson says what it says and nothing more. Based on ONLY what it states or asked,,,," ONE CALIBER FOR ALL HUNTING",,,, means exactly that. It did not ask what you would use for varmits only, medium sized game only, North American big game only or any particular African game only.....It asked, what you would use for ALL hunting if given only just ONE choice?......All of you have gotten off the point here with your own digressions and turned the subject matter into more than what it should have been....If the sky is truly blue, anyone can interpret it as black......This poll question left nothing to any other interpretation. It is what it is!!!..............Jackson! Your poll question was a good one, EVEN THOUGH in reality, we all know that no one will use only one caliber for world-wide use!!!! BUT! That does not mean that it can`t be done!!!  In fact, it can be accomplished!...We all have opinions as to what the best cartridge or caliber is for a particular game animal!! But again, that was not the issue here!  When you go back and read all the postings, you find in many cases, the subject changing to something other than what the original post or poll asks for.......Jackson! Your very first sentence in your last post said it exactly right,,,you said,,,quoting you now,,,,,, "I started this poll,,, if you had to have one gun anywhere in the world, what caliber would it be?"  Unquote! THATS IT! Nothing more!....We are not talking about how too many people kill elk with a .243!....We are not talking about different calibers for different game in different countries...Even though necessary and important, we are not talking about shot placement here.....Jackson! You say in your last post that using FMJ or solids is redklous? Did you mean ridiculous? But yet in the same sentence you say "you wouldn`t use them,,,UNLESS,,,I wanted to break bone."... Of course that`s why you would use them! Not so ridiculous when you would use them for that specific purpose is it?...I only mentioned the 30 cal. FMJ solids as a bullet specifically for the elephant`s thick skulls............Each of you just should have picked one caliber for your world wide use, (WHETHER YOU HUNT WORLDWIDE OR NOT) and explained to the rest of us why you chose it...Whether you agree with my .30 caliber choice or disagree, is not important. I followed the format of the original post poll question and explained why I chose the .30 caliber................If you guys were ever in a courtroom and asked to testify about a certain subject, you just might drive the attorneys nuts by elaborating too much. They would be in and out of their seats, saying "objection,, heresay and irrelevent" most of the time, just maybe?....Are we having fun yet????
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 06:33
well in case you havent noticed this aint no court room and i dont see any judge jury or executioners in here, its not a contest to see who follows directions the best its who is the better salesman, sometimes you must elaborate to make a sale cause some people who are new to this arent going to have a clue as to what we are talking about.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 11:34
Pyro...........Your right!!!! This ain`t no courtroom. No judge, no jury, no executioner! But using a courtroom as an example may have hit a few nails on the head?......By the way. I`m not trying to be a better salesman...It`s ok to elaborate in order to make a point or have an opinion.....It`s another matter when that elaboration gets off topic, then goes in many different directions!...........................
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2007 at 14:04
Squeeze, the poll question is "If you had to choose one centerfire cal. for all hunting."  The question implies by the word "you" that it is an individual opinion, meaning there is no right or wrong answer.  Opinion is something that transcends argument.  Even if the question means "for any game, anywhere in the world," whether someone's selection is truly capable of fulfilling the requirement is irrelevant, because it is asking for opinion.  Who made you the arbitor of right and wrong here?  I may disagree with all of the selections on the list, but that doesn't make any one of them necessarily wrong.  Even if someones opinion is totally ill advised, it is still their opinion.  People have the right to be wrong.  If someone wants to use the .22 magnum for all their hunting anywhere in the world, maybe all they want to hunt anywhere in the world are squirrel-sized vermin and nothing weighing over 2lbs.  An absurd example, I know, but the fact Jackson included the .204 Ruger on the list of choices leaves this open for interpretation, because nobody in their right mind would go after Cape Buffalo with a .204.  Ditto the .243, .22-250, and .220 Swift, all of which were choices on the list and none of which would even remotely be considered suitable for any game, anywhere.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic