OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some advice on Aimpoints, NV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some advice on Aimpoints, NV
    Posted: July/22/2007 at 08:51
OK, I've used a lot of different optics over the years, though I'm by no means someone who shoots all the time or has a lot of experience.  Mostly I've used magnified optics, but in the past 5 years have used an EOTECH, OKO, Reflex, and numerous Aimpoint clones (like the Hakko and the even cheaper knock-offs.)

I like the Eotech, but the graininess of the reticle and large 65 MOA circle can sometimes get in the way.  Plus the battery life is an issue.

I'm about to get a 3rd Gen Night vision monocular (GT-14 probably) and want to use it in conjunction with a red dot with NV capabilities.  I'm also interested in having the ability to use a 3x or 4x magnifier.

Could you all recommend an Aimpoint model that would fulfill this need, mounted on either my 9mm AR SBR (8.5" barrel), 16" M-4rgery, and/or my 10/22 Pocket Rifle (5.5" barrel, suppressed).

I've seen the new Comp M4 2MOA which appears to be very nice, integrated mount, LONG battery life, and extra NV settings, but wow - $630+ dollars is a bit.  Would the Comp M3 be a better value for me, or am I going to be looking at close to the same cost once I get a good mount, and am I going to be losing anything with the NV settings not being as good on the M3 when used with a 3rd Gen NV device?

Thanks!

PS - quick question on NV if you know the answer - is there anything that keeps you from being blinded while using NV (Bloom?) when you fire your weapon?  Special flash hiders, etc.?  Or does the NV device itself compensate?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 10:10
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 16:42
Go with the Comp M4 and a vortex flash suppressor.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2007 at 22:13
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist &Board=19&page=1

http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?s=1bb3e63ac857a54dbf8d d4c7364a46e9&f=13

And of course...........

http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=18

Thanks, Cheaptrick - I hit m4carbine and the Hide. The little boys on ar15.com won't let me play there anymore, though so that site is out.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 04:32

M4 Carbine is a great site. Those guys can help you get squared away.

Same with Sniper's Hide.

Banned from ARFCOM?!?!?!?....

Your a BAD man...a VERY BAD man!!

You got bannished to the cornfield!!! 

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic