OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND_HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions
    Posted: September/23/2004 at 15:14
Hello,

I am looking for some opinions on which way you think I should go when purchasing my next scope. The scope is for a new 300 winchester Tikka Light in Stainless Steel. I want to get a silver scope to go with it but after that im lost. Right now I am torn between the Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44 for $129.95 and the Weaver Grand Slam 3.5-10x40 for $249.95. I cant tell much difference when looking through them at Cabelas, but I constantly am hearing you get what you pay for in Optics. Well what am I getting? for the extra $100. Ill be honest I usually sight in my rifle at 200 yards once per year, use it for deer hunting Mule Deer in the badlands, my shots are usually 150-400 yards. Other than that I dont touch it. Do you think I should spend the extra, or go with the Simmons? Thanks for any help

PS Love the site, messageboard is very helpful!

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2004 at 15:30

i think its would look nicer with a matte scope, but either way, check out the Burris FF2 3-9x40, its available with the ballistic plex, which will help out alot on those shots at 400 yards, and is 197.95, with a free spotter, and i beleave its available in silver with the ballistic plex, but no spotter. but i think you would be happier with the matte scope.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
ND_HUNTER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND_HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2004 at 15:32
Matte? Really, I guess i just assumed silver would look better with the stainless steel, but Now i may have to check out matte.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2004 at 15:38

dont forget bout the burris though, IMHO, its the best scope for less than $250.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
ND_HUNTER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND_HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2004 at 15:47
Burris is better than the Weaver grand Slam?

I dont want the spotting scope so is it still a better deal in your opinion?

Thanks for the help redneck!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2004 at 15:49

i still beleave its a better scope, because, it has higher quality, and form what i have seen, clearer glass, a better warranty, and is made BY a american company, with american parts, but assembled in the phillipines.

cory

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2004 at 16:19

Between the Simmons and Weaver, go with the Weaver.  I agree with Cory, you should take a look at Burris.

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic