OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA
    Posted: July/20/2007 at 17:23
is this worth the extra money???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2007 at 15:19

Ah, pyro6999, I am back.  Finally found a little time to get back on line.  To answer your question, it depends.  I have heard of some people going in to the gun store and going through the non-moa rifles and finding one with a sub-moa or near sub-moa target and just buying that rifle, as Wby. reportedly, now I reapeat reportedly, seperates the rifles by how well they shoot.  However, they do make up-grades in the stocks and so forth on the sub-moa models.  To this day, the Vanguards and Howas are some of my favorite rifles regardless of cost.  Rugged, accurate and never have failed me.  They may not be the most beautiful, but they get the job done.  I know all of the arguments regarding investment casting and actions from solid forged carbon steel, but to me, there is nothing like a receiver built from a piece of forged metal. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2007 at 15:26
so what you are telling me is that i should probably stick with a sub moa and really pick through the targets pretty hard to satisfy my very picky nature, im thinking about picking up a 30-06
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2007 at 15:55
the only other calibers i see in the vanguard line that intrest me are the .257 weatherby mag and the .338 win mag.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 10:12
ok im now thinking that the .257 will be my pick of caliber now, anybody here have any experience with this round?? what kinds of loads are we looking at?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 11:19

The .257 Wby is a really nice deer caliber. It shoots flat and out of the heavier long action recoils like a .260.

The Howa action is worthy of many more calibers. It is well machined from tool steel bar stock. I can't add anything that Dolphin can't say as he is the "Weatherby Man" around here.

If I was to get the Vanguard in .257, though, I would get a sporter. What an excellent deer rifle with a 3-9 on it.

Good luck with your latest adventure, Pyro..........

Doug

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 11:20
The 257 Wby. is a great round, one of the best round of all rounds to include the 270 Wby. and 300 Wby.  I wished they would offer the 270 Wby. in the sub-moa, as it offers more punch and can be used on bigger game.  But, the 257 should be able to take all but the biggest of North American and African game animals,  Here is an excellent article on the caliber and reloading:  http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/ST257weatherbymagnum _031706/.  I have a Mark V sporter in the caliber and it shoots sub-moa.  Great caliber.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 17:24
yeah its sounds like a winner to me just gotta decide where to start on bullet weights for handloading.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 15:59

There was a time (say roughly 15+ years ago) when a gaurantee of sub-MOA would have been pretty impressive and a definite selling point.  However today I think it's a different story.  Assuming that:

A. You are buying a quality rifle from an established manufacturer (I'm pretty sure Weatherby would qualify )

and

B. You personally are capable of shooting sub-MOA groups. (I have no reason to think that you aren't)

and either

C. You are a handloader who is willing to go through the steps to find a good load combination (I assume this one to be the case)

or

D. You are willing to shoot enough factory loads to find the one that shoots best in your rifle

and

E. You are buying a caliber that is sufficiently common/popular to ensure a reasonable variety of ammunition/component options from which to choose. (Not a problem so far with the calibers you have been suggesting)

then, with the possible exception of the occasional "lemon" that you might run into,  getting sub-MOA groups really is not that difficult of a standard to meet.  Such a claim (whether by Weatherby or any other gun maker) would not be a big factor for me in making a purchase decision.

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:24
the thing about the sub moa that strikes me is you get an h-s stock and its got the alum. pillar bedding in it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:31
I believe your decision to go with the sub-moa model is a good one.  Many companies, "certify" their rifle to shoot sub-moa, most do not, most are not capable of that claim if you read enough of the reviews, until you get to the really expensive stuff, but Wby., guarantees their claim (with premium ammo or Wby. ammo, which is the same).

Edited by Dolphin
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:32
The stock is the main reason I'd go with the Sub MOA over the regular Vanguard synthetic model.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:32
 i just hope the sarge will give in and let me buy it, cause i know i can handload it to shoot sub moa with 5 shots not 3.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 16:37
The synthetic stock on the standard Vanguard is leaps and bounds better than your rountine entry synthetic found on any other brand of rifle.  I own several, whether in the Vanguard or Wby..  They are solid, without that hollow sound when tapping on them, have a good grip, proportioned well, feel good when mounted to the shoulder, finished well with only minimal molding marks and mate almost perfectly with the receiver and barrel.  While they are not an H-S precision stock, they are still very good.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 18:14
i want one cause i think the .257 is kick ass round, and if i could afford a markv i would buy one, but the vanguard works for me.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 08:04
Did you read the article by Layne Simpson?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2007 at 16:42
yes sir i did, i also read the one on the .240 he just recently did as well good reads
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
weatherby View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weatherby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 18:28

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i just hope the sarge will give in and let me buy it, cause i know i can handload it to shoot sub moa with 5 shots not 3.

I have a 257 mark v.I had to buy it used see 3 kids and # 4 on the way

I have been getting surprisingly good accuracy out of 120 grain speer grand slams over IMR 7828 SSC powder this is a 4 shot group at 50 yards on the load I went with measures about .280

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 21:34
nice man!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2007 at 16:38
just so everyone knows i was at a large store last weekend trying to buy nosler bullets and since they didnt have what i needed i of course decided to go look at guns and i was walking around a white/black stocked gun caught my eye so i walked over to the rack it was on and without even looking i knew it was a submoa vanguard very sharp looking rifle indeed, i shouldered it without looking at the caliber, and it felt great way better than any other rifle i have picked up and i checked the action out smooth, i then inspected the barrel and you guessed it a damn .270win was stamped on the barrelyuck i said to myself in disgust i put the rifle back on the rack and walked away.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic