OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss vs. Weaver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss vs. Weaver
    Posted: July/19/2007 at 19:18
I was just wondering how well you guys thought the Weaver grand slam would compete to say a Zeiss Conquest or a Bushnell 4200. All of these scopes seem to get good reviews here and I was just wondering if it is in the same class as the others.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2007 at 09:06

Almost.

You get what you pay for and Zeiss has top quality glass especially the Diavari series and Heinsold (zeiss tactical). As for the Bushnell 4200 it is the top of their line and is a pretty good scope with good glass, almost as good as the Zeiss. The thing that the Weaver Grand Slam has going for it is that it is farily tough and holds its zero quite well under hunting conditions, plus it is moderately priced and is a good value for the money.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2007 at 12:21

Weaver Grand Slams are a really good scope for the money. If you decide to go that way- no worries.

JTT73 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTT73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2007 at 14:54

I've always thought of WEAVER as a very good scope, but I've only ever owned one of them, but it was really good. The only thing I'd be careful of, and this has happened recently, is that WEAVER, REDFIELD, and SIMMONS was bought out by a company called MEADE. From what I've been told and from the research I've done, (see my post about REDFIELD scopes) all of the new scopes by these manufacturers are being made in CHINA now by this new company. I'm by no means trying to persuade your scope buying decision, but this is information that I feel you should know. I've heard that these new lines of scopes may not be as high quality as the versions were when these manufacturers were producing them independently. I wish I could tell you more right now, but the info on the subject is fairly limited and un-factual at the moment. The new lines of scopes are in production, but the full lines from all 3 companies are far from being available from what I can find out.

Like I said, I don't wish to persuade your decision, but if I can help someone out and maybe keep them from wasting some money on something that might not be high quality anymore, then I feel that is rightful information that consumers need to know. I'd have no problems buying one of the USA made versions of WEAVER if you can find one. I'm sure there are still quite a lot of them available as MEADE has just recently bought these companies. But anyway, good luck with your purchase decision.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2007 at 21:38

Originally posted by Rem700 Rem700 wrote:

I was just wondering how well you guys thought the Weaver grand slam would compete to say a Zeiss Conquest or a Bushnell 4200. All of these scopes seem to get good reviews here and I was just wondering if it is in the same class as the others.

Thing is that if I had to cross one off the buy list the Weaver would be the first to go, and Zeiss woudl be the last to go.

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/3dc0003 746ab21148525726200057786

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2007 at 15:19
The grandslam was a very good scope for the $ when made in Japan, however the service and horror stories concerning trying to get service done since the move to new headquarters and buy out by meade is popping up in a lot of the optics forums. Sometimes takes a couple days just to hear from them, a friend I work with just went thru a warranty go round with them that took almost 8 months just to get his money back.

focus

Edited by Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2007 at 17:40

If this is a gun scope combination that you are going to keep for a long time I would go with Zeiss, I have never had a bad one and the Zeiss equipment I used at work was always top  quality. Meade is mostly in low end optics but Zeiss has a huge presence in the US in a broad range of equipment. Their medical operating microscopes are found in most hospitals & their slit lamps in most eye doc offices. I don`t see them going out of business or leaving the country and not supporting their products.

Duce

Duce
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 05:12
Weavers are made in Japan and are damn good values.  Try one in the shop.  I believe Chris will agree.  Not trying to put Chris in the spot.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 14:26

i have to vote zeiss - they are solid as rocks and great glass.

J

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 15:45

I would agree the Weaver is a good scope just the company that owns them now leaves a lot to be desired. Zeiss is first class all the way and will probably hold its value better if you ever decide to sell it. I would still go with Zeiss

Duce

Duce
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 06:26
Originally posted by army_eod army_eod wrote:

Weavers are made in Japan and are damn good values. 

That fact seems to be changing under the new owners. Meade seems to be making their move into the chinese labor market and have little to no sevice if that value slips, due to this. I don't fault the older grand slams, they were a great value.........I just don't think things are still the same under the new meade umbrella.

focus

Edited by Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
randolphba View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolphba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 08:15

Just for the record, all Weaver scopes are made in Japan, along  with a couple of the brands that everyone one this forum thinks very highly of. Also, most Simmons are made in the orient along with many Bushnell and Nikon scopes. As for the service issue, they are correcting the problem. Due to the move and change of personell there was a lag time before they got the warranty department up to speed.

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 17:21
Spoken like a company employee  meades service is dismal and scope quality is falling in the grand slams. Noticed and mentioned by more posters than just me. I believe Chris and ILya both have talked about it today on posts on this very site. I believe they got bumped lower on the scope rating scale for just that reason. If most simmons are made in the orient.......where are the rest made?

focus 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic