OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest vs Bushnell 4200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest vs Bushnell 4200
    Posted: July/17/2007 at 13:14

Ok, here is the question..

Little help experts.

I have two rifles that need scopes.  They may well end up sharing, if they can play well together.  One is an AR in .204 and the other an AR in .308.  Both will be used for punching paper and the .204 might get invited to shoot varmints.

I'm looking at either the 6x24-50mm Bushnell 4200 for around $570 or the 6.5x20-50mm Zeiss Conquest for close to $900

Is the Conquest glass worth the difference?  Both scopes will spend time at on the higher end of the magnification.

Why do I want tactical turrets and mil-dots.. well you can't be good poser if you don't have those on an AR..

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9847-185-bushnell-6-24x50-elite-4200- 30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1520-259-zeiss-65-20x50-conquest-rifl e-scope.aspx

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 14:02

the 4200's glass is close to conquest glass - i would give the SLIGHT edge to zeiss conquest.

but for the money - it's easy to see the best value here.

as for the turrets - it's just easier to make adjustments - and the mildots make 'hold-over' on long shots much easier.

it depends on how long of a shot you are going to be taking.  if over 300yrds or so, mildots would help immensly.

J

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 17:32
Joe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Go with the 4200!!!!!...............The Zeiss is not worth the extra $330 and will not accomplish, ANY MORE FOR YOU, than the 4200!!!........I did the same thing earlier this year, as my two final choices came down to the Zeiss or the 4200 in the 3x9.............Looked through both at the same time outside the store and focused on targets near and far using all magnifications. While the Zeiss is SLIGHTLY brighter, both have outstanding clarity and resolution and therefore are equal to each other in that dept........ After all was said and done, I could not justify paying an extra $100 or more for the Conquest!!!!!! The 4200 also gives you the Rainguard feature, which will keep the lenses clear in ANY weather!!! No matter how wet, no matter how cold, both or whatever. You`ll never lose a shot due to any weather situation!!!!..................Based on it`s features and the benefits thereof, the Elite 4200, FOR THE MONEY, is the best scope available on the market!!!.....Thumbs up........wosschilder37....
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 17:39
Man, and I thought I was high on the Elites.........
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 19:37
Hey Roy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But! Under your name and illustration, it says,,,"ELITE PREDATOR!".....All I have is a big bear!!!!.....Yes! I am high on the Elite`s because of their price and what you get,,,for the price!!....Great construction, durability, optics and the Rainguard!!!....I am a former Leupold owner and for the money, the VX111 cannot compete with the 4200!............I just give an honest assessment, when the Elite 4200 vs. ?????????  topic is posted!!!!!...........
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 21:22
Couldn't agree with ya more. I own 6 of them. I am a recovered Leupold owner myself. The 4200 is a tough act to follow for the money. Welcome aboard by the way...
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 21:39
Roy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Had a computer virus problem last month. After the problem was fixed, I could not post new topics or reply to anything. It took awhile to fix while still being able to keep my user name!!!!......I have more than 20 posts!... I`m not exactly new! But! Thanks for the welcome!!!!..........My Elite 4200 is mounted conventionally on my little Ruger M77, MK2 Frontier, 300WSM, 16.5" barreled shorty.........I also have an EER scout style scope for the barrel too!!!.....What fun!!!   
Joe Williams View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 23:30

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Elite 4200, FOR THE MONEY, is the best scope available on the market!!!.....Thumbs up........wosschilder37....

Reading between the lines.. and taking the nuiances of your reply into consideration, I'm going to conclude you like the 4200.  Correct me if I'm wrong..

Sounds like I should get the 4200 and spend the difference on ammo.. lots of ammo.

Thank you for your comments.  I'd read the thread rating scope lines and noted that the 4200 was in the same class as the Conquest but its good to get validation from those using the product.

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2007 at 01:25
Joe...............I am not the only Elite owner that feels that way!!! I only have one!!!.....Roy, above,,,has 6 of them!!!!!!!...I wonder why!..... And yes!!,,,you are correct!!!..........However, there are many old, feet in the cement diehards out there, who still associate or stereotype Bushnell with building cheap scopes and still think that the Leupolds are the absolute gods of the scope world!!!....That gold ring usually means a more expensive scope, but certainly not a better one!!!........Not previously mentioned in my earlier post, and to better put the icing on the cake,,,the Elite`s one piece tube is made from a combo of aluminum and titanium; 30% stronger that the standard aluminum tubes.... The Elite 4200`s durability is recoil tested by Bushnell to successfully withstand thousands of rounds from a 375 H&H....Zeroing in could not be easier with audible adj. clicks. Once zeroed in,,  forget about it!!!!!.....Add on the outstanding optic clarity and resolution, fully coated lenses, easy focus front eye piece,,,,, the Rainguard!!!!...............What`s left not to like?????.......  I remember commenting on a previous post,  maybe on this site, for anyone, to please enlighten me as to what would be,,,(features & benefits vs. dollars spent),,,, a better scope on the market for the money!!!........The last time I checked, others have offered what they consider to be a comparable scope for the money,,,,but certainly NOT a better scope,,,,for the money!!!... It`s easy for anyone to offer a preference, it`s another matter to properly justify why, item by item, feature by feature how their preference, for the SAME money or price range, exceeds the Elite 4200!!! I did alot of homework before I bought my 4200............Any takers????????    And please!!! Let`s only compare apples to apples here, while maintaing the SAME price points!!!... Far more expensive Swaro`s, Kahles,  Zeiss, Nikon`s,  etc. etc. etc., and so forth,,,, do not apply here!!!........You watch! Some________`s  will post up, missing the point altogether, saying his $500, $600, $1000, $1500 plus scope is better!!!...Well of course it is!... I hope so!!!..You paid alot MORE for it!!!!! ............................................... .................Here we go!!!!!   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic