OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Model 700-Leupold combo will it work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 700-Leupold combo will it work?
    Posted: July/16/2007 at 22:40
Hey there my fellow optics geeks, I am getting ready to purchase a Remington model 700 mountain rifle in 30-06. I want to mount a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on top. I really like that size scope and i think it would be ideal for that rifle. My question is, will I be able to mount this scope (11.9 inches in length) without using extension rings? Does anyone out there have this set up? I want to use Leupold dual dovetails but I am also considering Warnes or Talleys. Don't know to much about the talleys, how do they compare to the others? Thank you my friends, Bricat
stubewan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2007 at 21:14

You might want to consider the Millet extension rings. I have them on a 444, they work great and are adjustable.

Stubewan

Stubewan
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2007 at 11:12

I need extension rings on my M700 LA's for the 2.5-8. The last time I checked I think I was 5.37" from outside to outside of my Talley rings. Leupold is showing 5.1" for ring spacing.

http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-i ii-riflescopes/vx-iii-2-5-8x36mm/

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 01:23
Alright, thanks tahqua. Good info. I don't really want to use extension rings so perhaps I will go to a little longer scope. Do you think that a Conquest 3-9x40 would look awkward sitting on top of that little mountain rifle? Thanks again, Bricat.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 10:19

I think the Zeiss will look great on the Mountain Rifle. It will be well proportioned and the optics are excellent for the price.

That would be a very classy rig, good luck with your choice.

Doug

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic