OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Falcon Menace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamsniper1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falcon Menace
    Posted: July/15/2007 at 08:03
Up pops another so called "Tactical Scope",This is scope supposely has its lens made by the same company that produces the lens for the SS.Unlike the SS Falcon produces a variable scope also.Any of you people familiar with one of these "Tactical" scopes?
Believe none of what you hear
Half of what you read
And all of what you see.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2007 at 08:11
I have seen some chatter on Sniper Central's site about these, but I have never seen one personally.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2007 at 09:57
I know where alot of the parts came from.  It will be interesting to see if the firm assembling these can maintain production when they run out of these sub assemblies.

Of particular note, and I'm sure you know this, glass, or plastic is a made to spec item.  Sorta like having the Yukon and Escalade made in the same factory.  Outwardly the same but inside there are significant differences.

Glass comparison via "the same factory" is a notorious assertion of quality by association in optics from some countries of origin.  I've had ample opportunity to perform private evaluation on alot of these things and "same" somehow just isn't. 

Edited by Mike McDonald
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2007 at 10:05
but the name-- gotta love that name "mellumium falcon", "maltese falcon"  etc.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2007 at 10:34
" Gotta be fine if it looks good on the line "

Street credit for the tactikewl shooter.
Iamsniper1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamsniper1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2007 at 12:55
Same is not the same,point well made Mr.McDonald,By the looks of this scope(NOT CAPABILITY)I'm sure some rabid wannabe shooter will aquire this scope and will be posting on this forum about his" FUBAR ".
Believe none of what you hear
Half of what you read
And all of what you see.
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2007 at 13:31
Mele did a review on the 10X menace. on www.snipercentral.com
omark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 17:12
 mel would know what a good scope looks like since he has looked through a super sniper enough to be able to compare the falcon scope for quality,, and performance  to the super sniper,,,,,,,,,
area51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote area51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 08:38
Goto love it when people drinking the SS cool aid start talking about a scope they have never seen themselves.  Glad to see there is another competitor in the $300 entry level tactical scope range!
onedrz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onedrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 20:47
I actually own one. And I have looked down a ss, and a IOR, okay, just about all of them. The Falcon scopes are actually really great. Excellent clarity, movement, stability. I am not sure about the warranty though. But the scope has worked really well for me shot after shot. I shoot a .300 WSM, and have never had any issues with it... the hardest part has been adjusting to the metric system. But wouldn't you know, after I buy one, they come out with 1/4 MOA clicks.... But I really like the scope... plan on buying another one
Matt
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 06:49
ive got one comin, 4-14 in FFP!!! finally!! held out for the under dev variable SS, but couldnt pass this up. no other FFP variable has what im lookin for, mildot, 1/4 moa, target turrets. and, for $340 shipped on the SH GB its worth rollin the dice. if i dont like it ill grab another fixed 10x SS. im sure they will sell a bunch of them, the mags just right, choice of 2 reticles, moa or mil adjustments....why buy any other scope under 1k? they r all 2nd FP, which is a PITA.

lear
omark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 21:57
i just bought a falcon  menace on , canadiangunnutz.com  mike is importing them in from the uk, a realy nice scope for the price  i have a skeliton reticle on mine  the glass is allot clearer than i expected as for worranty it has a10 year for us in canada if it hasnt broke by then ods are it wont ,
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 11:03
The recent influx of new blood into the OT is a good thing, welcome newbies; but please remember that this site is hosted by a scope seller and there is a rule against naming the competition.

Enjoy the new scope, I've heard good things.  I am again amused at the sudden interest in FFP. I believe it has far less utility than enthusiasm at this moment.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 16:52
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Enjoy the new scope, I've heard good things.  I am again amused at the sudden interest in FFP. I believe it has far less utility than enthusiasm at this moment.

I went through the FFP reticle or nothing deal too, admittedly. I categorically blame Snipers Hide for that too. Wink

Good luck with your new optics, Gents.  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 19:28
I picked up one of these lately for a low dollar mil dot scope and I like it although it doesnt have finger adjustable turrets.
SI39X40MD Sightron%203-9x40%20SI%20Riflescope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $119.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
PolarBearBait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBearBait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 23:03
Ok, yes these are the new comer to the tactical scope world. But they are work horses that perform.

I have 3 Falcons (one from each series) and they are mounted on a 260 Rem, 300 WM and a Grendel, these scopes have performed flawlessly even up here in the Arctic Circle in temps that no one should have to shot in.

It would be great if SWFA also carried these scope because they are a fine scope and a best bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned. I'm buying 2 more as soon as my builds are completed!

Great customer service, great price and quality to boot!!! The naysayers can doubt all they want, but time will show. These scopes may not be in the sandbox yet, but they are in service and in LEO use and it won't be long till we find out how the harsh world effects these babies.

Enjoy the scope!
David

learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 07:23

with all due respect guys, what advantages do the 2nd FP scopes have, esp for my style of shooting?

i started shooting in the late 60s. 22s, air rifles and shotguns. hunting small game, deer etc. only enough target shooting to stay somewhat in practice, and to zero rifles. money was tight in my family, and my father bought me an air rifle to allow me to shoot regularly.

as time went on i never got into target shooting, ive remained a hunter, or what i call a field shooter. make me shoot paper i get bored. cant keep my mind on what im doin. ask me to shoot silhouette, and all i think is GET PRONE! GET PRONE! hey these are great sports, but not what im into.

my first scoped rifle was a deadly accurate daisy 880 w a 3-9 bushnell duplex 22 scope on top. used that  combo to kill starlings at the airport where i worked as a teenager up till i got my first flyin job. see one of my most hated tasks was to remove birds nests that the god forsaken starlings liked to build in aircraft engines. its a dirty stinkin mess, that if not done will cause the engine to overheat, and possibly sieze inflight. we had a couple planes land off airport back then, due to the pilots pi$$ poor preflights/starling nests. my boss aks me, what we can do do stop these birds, i say, shoot them. he says do it. so the starling slaughter starts.

i quckly discovered i could use the duplex reticle in that scope to range starlings, but only at its highest  magnification.<G> if the starling went from heavy post to heavy post either horiz or vertical all i had to do was aim dead on and the starling died. if he measured from one heavy duplex to the center or more up to the opposite heavy duplex i used to lower duplex post as my aiming point. if he was too far, and didnt measure  from a heavy post to the center, i didnt shoot. i took starlings off airplane tails and props, hangars, etc using this system, and never hit a plane in the 10 years i shot them birds. and i didnt clean many more birds nests  either.

when i started hunting groundhogs i used the same idea w my 22-250. hvy post to hvy post 100yd, hvy to ctr, 200yd, etc. but, only at one magnification.

one day my hunting pal has a guy go with us shootin groundhogs. military type, nice guy. he pulls out a 308, w a leupold scope. i look through it, and see mildots for the first time. its a genII PR 4-14 or something. he tells me what FFP is, and gives me a quick explanation of the mildot system.

JESUS! HALLELUJAH! the clouds part, the sun comes streaming in! i see the light!

Yippee

time passes, and times are tough. wife, 3 kids, and not much money for toys. but, whenever im hunting i think  about that scope, and that some day, ill have one.

time passes, and kids are gone, makin good money, lotsa toys and guns now. my first mildot scopes a  10x super sniper. i cant be happier with it. but, im itchin now to try a variable, hence my interest in the falcon.

so i humbly ask the experts...what advantage is there in a 2nd focal plane variable for field use? why do i want another step in the math?

lear
onedrz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onedrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 08:25

Theres really not any advantage, it just depends on the person, I like the FFP scopes, Im just used to the second. I have been using them for so long that I am used to multiplying my mils so that I can range at 5c, 10x, 20x ect... same thing applies to windage and shot placement for when I don't have time to adjust my scope.

I really don't think that is really any advantage to either type, just like everything else, its more personal preference.
Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 15:56
Jet, I wasn't cracking on you or any one else that likes or uses a FFP scope for any or every reason. It's all about choices, budgets and shooting requirements.  
I'm truly sorry if I came off that way.   

I guess when we discuss target shooting, at least for ME, a 10x Super Sniper or an occasional RFP Nikon variable is really all the scope(s) I need. I loved my FFP USO SN-3, but I've gotten along OK without it and have more money left over for other gear.

Good shooting all!

Edited by cheaptrick - April/11/2008 at 15:56
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 04:14
Originally posted by learjet learjet wrote:

so i humbly ask the experts...what advantage is there in a 2nd focal plane variable for field use? why do i want another step in the math?

lear

I have two FFP scopes and I like the fact that the reticle gets heavier when I crank up the zoom. This comes in handy when the shots are long and it is in low light. Of course a heavy duplex in an SFP would give me similar results.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic