OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ascopes for a .204

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.mossyoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ascopes for a .204
    Posted: September/21/2004 at 13:02
i recently bought a ruger .204 with the bull barrel ect. i was looking at zeiss conquest scopes, what other scopes would be good on this rifle any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
if john kerry's wife does not trust him with her money, why should i
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2004 at 13:06

Zeiss is a great scope.  I assume that this is a short to intermediate range varminter.  How much do you want to spend?

ranburr

mr.mossyoak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.mossyoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2004 at 14:43
well i would like something i can get out to around 500 to 600 yards with as for money anywhere from 600 to 1,000
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2004 at 16:45

With that lind of price range there are some really great choices out there.  I would go for something around 4-14X.  The Zeiss Conquest is a great scope or you could look at Swarovski or Kahles.  I don't know  whole lot about the Ruger .204, I was under the impression that it was an inside of 500 yards rifle.  I would be curios as to how it is performing for you at the longer ranges.

ranburr

mr.mossyoak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.mossyoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 08:37
from what i have read about the 204 is that the 40 gr. bullet is ideal for long range shooting, and the 32 gr. is good to about 500 yards i like the conquest but have never owned a zeiss i do own two leupolds one of which is on a tack driving .308 the other is a habndgun scope
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 09:20
With the 40 grs. V-Max and 37 grs. of H335 my 204 Remingtion clocks in at 3900. With 39 grs. and the 32 at 4300. The ballistic coef. of the V-max run about .255 putting them in the same class as V.max 55 gr. 224. There is some case capacity difference between reformed 222 mag and 204 factory cases. This makes them comparable to a 22-250 shooting a 40 gr at 4200 fps. (and doesn't get nearly as hot a barrel since 10 grs powder less with each shot) Still think it is only a 500 yard gun? Any scope that works for long range varmits on 22-250 works just as well on 204. Thought for the day, why does a Zweiss (german pronounciation) cost so much? Answer. because you can't buy a Leo in Germany. (or if you could it would cost far more than a Z here). ( I was told by a Leo representative at a gun show it is pronouned Luu-poe). so much for formality.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 11:17

Strange, I thought one of the reasons that Zeiss cost more than Leupold was because they are better.  I have seen Leupold in Germany and they were priced right in line with Zeiss (this was early-mid 1990s).  Incidentally, I could buy euro optics cheaper inthe U.S. then I could in europe.  With the assemby of the Conquest happening in the U.S. it is offering superior performance and often pricing that is beating Leupold.

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 14:44

i would get a leapold LR 6.5-20x50 with the VH reticle.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 15:40
Try getting the same trade in price from the Chevy dealer on your Beamer. What makes (when it occurs american dollars dealer abroad is when it floats down against the Euro.) this doesn't include the shipping import duties and restrictions placed on US goods shipped abroad.
trigger time View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 16:48
Mr. Mossyoak, you cant go wrong with the conquest. I have a 20 power on a 300 winchester and a 14 power on a 300 weatherby. I love both of them. You should be able to watch the bullet path with that set up. Leupold allso has a great product, getting better all the time. It boils down to personal oppinion. Let us know how that little jewl shoots.
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 16:57

I went to the gun shop and what did I see?
A .204 Ruger staring back at me!
It glistened and shone like a star in the sky
and reading the tag put a glint in my eye.

I twitched and and I shook and I started to drool.
The price had me blubbering like a total a fool.
The gunshop guy laid it into my hands
I hadn't said I word, he just knew my plans...

I turned it and stroked it and admired it with glee
Then I cocked the hammer and the trigger I squeezed.
It was crisp and clean and not as bad as I figured
I just had to have it, gall darn I was jiggered!

I went there to buy a .22 for my son
not to buy myself ANOTHER gun!
I forgot all about what I came there for 
Paid the bill and headed out of the store

I drove home with speed and renewed jubilation
As I went over the options for scopes and ammunition
I looked at the boxes of ammo with a smile
32 grain or 40? Man I need a whole pile!

The coyotes better high-tail it out of the country
This boy's got a new toy and man it won't be pretty
on them yotes and foxes and other small critters
I'm so Darn excited I'm gittin' the jitters!

I still have to get my son's XMAS gift
If I don't get it soon my chance may be missed
I guess I'll go back to complete my quest
But The question is: What will I come home with next? :)

How about a Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical with Illuminated MilDot reticle. Heh, heh.  5x the cost of the rifle, but what the heck! 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 17:38

how heart warming......have to wipe the tears....good one man.

new smileys, how cool is this....

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 19:15

LOL Are you bustin' my balls?  Nut Kick

Yeah the new smiley's are cool...  Time for some JD Boozer

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2004 at 13:37

HAHAHA, i think the nut kcik is the best one, i didnt see that before.

cory

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2004 at 15:08
I like the boozer one too, especially since I can make my eyes do the same thing, including the one eye rollin' around while the other is crossed!  Freaks people out! Whacko
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2004 at 15:11

wow, dude, thats just freaky.... no other explanation...lol....

cory

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 12:59

Riflman, is that a NEF single shot?  How does it shoot?  I was thinking of buying an Encore when a NEF single shot caught my eye.  Encore has the switch barrel capability, but the whole NEF rifle costs about as much as an Encore barrel.

Ilya

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 13:11

Yes it is Koshkin.  haven't shot it yet though.  Meant to break it in last weekend and ran out of time.  My girlfriend was in from out of town and I had to choose between one of two urges. Jump....  Kiss....  Sex

I plan to try it out this weekend and will let you know.  Factory loads only though, my Redding dies haven't arrived yet.  Based on my last NEF, I expect good things.  The trigger is real good too compared to my .17 HMR, and that one was a shooter!

Edited by Riflman
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 13:16

Thanks.  I am very curious what it will do with factory ammo.  I do not mind reloading for larger calibers since it is not a lot of rounds.  For a varmint rig (like my Savage 12FV in 22-250) I don't have the time to load that much ammo so I use factory stuff.

Ilya

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 13:22
That's why I bought this one too.  Almost all of my rifles are wildcats.  I have fun loading, but it's nice to just buy ammo once in a while and go hunting.  I'm hoping this .204 Ruger will allow me to do that and will shoot the factory ammo well, and consistently between lots.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic