OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest 10X30 for hunting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest 10X30 for hunting?
    Posted: July/10/2007 at 22:36
I have an opportunity to pick these up used for a good price, but I was really looking for 10X40's. Will it make that much of a difference?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2007 at 11:00

If you hunt in the early morning or late evening, then it might.

You can't get around the fact that the exit pupil will be 3mm, which is not much bigger than the little 10x25 compacts available. 

It may be all you need, depending on your hunting style and circumstances, but there will definately be significant light-loss as compared to equal-quality, larger 40mm size objective lenses.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2007 at 11:48
If you are "really looking for" 10x40mm why settle for less?

Less FOV 10x30 = 288' vs. 10x40 = 315'

Less Exit Pupil 3mm vs. 4mm

Less Twilight Performance 17.3 vs. 20

Less Aperture 10mm smaller

Even Zeiss advertises the 10x30mm as a 'daylight' binocular.

The only real gain would be the Diopter Compensaton +/-7 vs. +/-4 and lighter and smaller.

Edited by Bird Watcher
DaveC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2007 at 16:07

Thanks for the responses. The low light performance definately would be a factor for me. I was just tempted by a good deal. Its right there in the price range that I want to spend. They are $770 Canadian here in Edmonton, and the guy wants $475 for them. That I would spend. $770, maybe not...

I'll keep looking. I'd like to get a decent pair of 10X40s and a good rangefinder for about a $1000 Canadian if I can. I've been leaning towards the Nikon Monarchs, and maybe even a Nikon rangefinder, but with all the information on this site, I'm definately not done researching this purchase yet....

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2007 at 16:47
Look at the left side of this page, in the brown, and scroll down to Trade-ins and click on The Samplelist, and check out the prices on the binoculars you are interested in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic