OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Comparisons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Comparisons
    Posted: July/08/2007 at 13:03
As a newbie to rifle scopes who wants to do target bench rest shooting out to 500 meters with a .223 Savage varmint rifle, I have a basic question.  Why is a Leupold VX11 6-18x40 worth 6 or 8 times a Tasco 6-24x40?  I picked these two only as an example.  I realize there are more expensive and cheaper scopes.  As a person who firmly believes you get what you pay for but has no plans to hunt,  shoot competitively or pay extra for match ammunition, would I be able to tell the difference?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2007 at 13:23
well i can tell you this you can buy the loopie once of replace the tasco every other year. you pay extra for name with loppies but they still make a quality product. better glass costs more and when every shot counts the better glass will make it easier, plus the better scopes arent prone to weather issues.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2007 at 13:47

You can`t hit what you can`t see at 500 yards you need a good scope if you  are going to compete. Your competition will have good scopes. Weather makes a huge difference if you are going where there is extreme cold or heat a good scope will function poor ones won`t. I have been in Calf desert heat and Alaske with the same Leaupold and it worked perfect.  Look at Benchrest.com and you will see some 45x Leupold scopes. There were some older Tasco scopes that were ok I have a 2 year old one that I use as a loaner if someone want to borow a scope. If you want to shoot benchrest I would advise reading up on it at the web site and buying a few good books it will save you money and embarrsment in the long run. Good luck and good shooting & welcome to optics talk I am sure you can find some good helpful people here if you say exactly how you want to use your rifle.

Duce

Duce
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2007 at 20:21
are you shooting formal benchrest or fun benchrest?
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2007 at 20:27
Wink  Rednim....................In your original post, you said it all!!!! "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR."  The differences are, quality in the optics which involve, clarity, resolution, multi or fully coated lenses, design and so forth.........The other main difference is construction quality as it relates to the scopes ability to endure punishment..........At a much lower cost and because you aren`t going to hunt, you can go ahead and try the cheaper scope and see if that will be sufficient for your needs, as far as being able to clearly view your long range targets in all weather situations.........If not satisfied, then upgrade!!!!.........................YES!!!!!.....You will be able to see a difference between let`s say a Leupold VX111, Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell Elite 4200 as opposed to a Tasco or the much cheaper scopes!!!....If possible, go to your local dealers and see and compare for yourself prior to your purchase!!!..............................Big Squeeze! 
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2007 at 08:26

that gun will shoot. very well, actually. even w/ decent factory ammo.

it would be a shame for your optics/mounts to hold you back.

spend as much as you can - at LEAST buy something like a super sniper or burris FFII w/ balistic plex.

both are excellent for the money -

you need to spend 200 bucks or more to get decent glass for that rifle.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

J

Rednim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2007 at 18:48
Thanks for the replies.  I probably misled you by saying bench rest shooting.  It'll be more like bench rest plinking.  Nothing competitive and no reloading.  I'll be using off the shelf ammo.  I've settled on a Nikon scope.  They seem priced competitively.  I used to do a lot of photography and it was tough to find a better lens than a Nikon.  I don't think they would allow their name to be put on anything that wasn't up to par.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic