OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

super sniper problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjg2334c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: super sniper problems
    Posted: July/06/2007 at 21:44
i have a 20x super sniper on a custom .300 win mag.  last year i shot the rifle out to 600 yds beginning with a 200 yd zero.  everything shot fine and i shot a groundhog at 592 yards with it last year.  this year, i checked the scopes zero at 200 yds and it was still dead on.  however, i kept missing groundhogs to the right the farther out i go.  this evening i was shooting at a groundhog at 618 yds.  the first shot was about a foot and a half to the right.  i adjusted the windage and shot a couple of inches low.  the third shot i held a little over and nailed him.  i then set up the target at two hundred yards and the group fired was exactly the amount of clicks i had adjusted for the 618 yd shot to the left. 

now, my scope has not moved in my rings and last year the reticle was square to the action, i used the string hanging from the ceiling to square it.  what i did notice is that the reticle is canted to the left.  i think that the recoil has caused it to twist in the tube.  is this possible, and would it account for the gun shooting to the right.  keep in mind that the windage did not change last year as i shot different distances.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2007 at 07:19

Sure that it is not just a wind doping problem?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2007 at 09:33
Atmospherics..................not optics.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2007 at 11:08

"my scope has not moved in my rings and last year the reticle was square to the action, i used the string hanging from the ceiling to square it.  what i did notice is that the reticle is canted to the left.":

Either one of those statements is not correct or you do indeed have a significant problem.

It sounds like the scope torqued in the rings, but it could be something else.  If the reticle torqued in the body (and I don't know if that can happen in that scope), it would be improbable for the scope to go back on target when the 600-yard dope is taken out.

And 3 shots on a groundhog?  With a 300WM?  At $2/round, I hate to take more than one shot on something.  That was a $6 groundhog.

And if the reticle is canted left, an elevation change would throw the round low right; however, the windage change on the second round should have thrown the round a little lower than a few inches.  What was the actual wind correction - due to wind? How heavy is the gun?  Is there a brake? What was the ammo?  What was the wind the day of the shot?  is the scope still squared and the cant still canted? Are the rings torqued to spec?  Are the rings still tight?  Do you own a bore sighter?

It sounds like there was a slippage in the rings which can happen on high-recoil guns.  When the projectile hits the riffling, it torques the gun and can cause a cant if the rings aren't tight.

if the reticle has moved in the scope body, the scope is now Tango Uniform and will need service.  I'd make sure it wasn't a slippage first.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic