OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Member with a Question.....or three!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scpd755 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member with a Question.....or three!
    Posted: July/06/2007 at 05:36

Hi Guys,

Been lurking here for awhile and thought I would introduce myself and pick your brains.

First off I am a 34yo police officer in central missouri about 45 min west of St Louis(the county I am in is known for meth labs and kidnappers, go figure).  I am married to a paramedic(we see alot of one another) and we have a son that will be 2 in sept.

Now to the good stuff.  OK OK the family is good stuff also.  I wanted to start shooting something other than handguns for fun.  I did some horse tradin' and came up with a Remington 700P in .308 Win.  I know the owner of the rifle and he only fired about 150 rounds through it.  Unfortunatly I couldn't get him to part with a scope in the trade.  I am going to by a SWFA 10x42 , ain't payin' and extra $100.00 for another knob on the side when they will "give " me a free one on the back!! I was wondering what rings and bases you might reccomend for this setup?  This will be strictly for punching paper(and a lil bragging) with my father.  I need something else to do with him as I don't enjoy hunting deer.  I know I know for shame right? Flame away   Just don't thrill me the way hearing a longbeard shake the trees in the spring.  

Sorry so longwinded its a family trait.  Any suggestions on rings and bases would be a big help.

Jerry

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2007 at 07:55

welcome to the OT.

good choice w/ the SS 10x42

i would recommend buying the best rings/bases you can afford -

somewhere in the badger ordinance or TPS range would be nice.

you'll get a lot of comments here - as there are very knowledgable tactical guys here.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

J

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2007 at 08:38

If it is strictly a paper-puncher, let budget dictate.

My hunting rifles have mostly Warne and my tac rifles all have badger.  I've had several tell me TPS is just as good but cheaper.  Till I have a single mount or ring from badger fail me, they've got my business.

But, since you aren't hunting it and your life will not rely on its rapid and accurate deployment, I can't honestly say I'd buy Badger.  Whatever you get, get steel and one-piece - never heard of alignment problems with one-piece base, and no alignment problem means no real need to hand lap (in my opinion - some will disagree.)

Buy steel, one-piece base, no dovetails, don't go cheap!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2007 at 09:15

LEU53570 Leupold Dual Dovetail 1 Piece Base                                                                                      Leupold Dual Dovetail 1 Piece Base
  • Remington XP-100
  • Matte
SWFA: $19.95
More Info... Buy Now

LEU49957 Leupold Dual Dovetail 30mm Rings                                                                                        Leupold Dual Dovetail 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $34.95
More Info... Buy Now

I could go through why Badger rings and bases are the best but you sound like you want a budget minded soolution. So I would prefer a dual dovetail ring and base set up to the standard base which is adjustable for windage on the rear, because the one that is adjustable can also come out of adjustment on a tactical gun that is not good.

(So Rancid why no dual dovetails? I can see the issues with two piece base but I have had several Leu 1 piece standard bases that have screwed up and not held up and one of the quick release that has not held up. I do use Burris one piece bases with dual dovetails on several hard recoiling guns and they have never caused a problem.)

As for not enjoying hunting deer that's just because you haven't been after them with a bow. Beside that you have a choice: 1.kill off some of the deer by hunting, then eat or donate the meat,  or 2 kill them by hitting them with cars and work the accidents

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2007 at 14:20

I've had dove tails fail, but you are correct, it has been the wind-adjustible kind.  And I don't like the physics and mechanics of the way they mount.

I'm a simple man with simply thoughts, I am a firm beliver of keeping it simple - else I get confused and empty the mag.  Which has allot to do with why the Corps loved me!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2007 at 16:57
I am not a big fan of dovetail mounts either.  I pretty much switched to Weaver/Picatinny designs for everything I have.

I have had very good luck with TPS rings, so I can comfortably recommend those.

Same for Warne.  I find warne a little harder to set-up and align (like most vertically split rings), though.

For bases, I really like Ken Farrell single piece bases.

For a tactical looking set up, I would probably suggest A Ken Farrel base and TPS rings (I just did exactly that on a 308 Mauser I built).

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2007 at 20:04
I do like the Warne steel rings and bases however I have not used the Farrel & TPS.  I do have Burris one piece dual dovetails on Encore 45-70 Pistol and Encore .375 H&H and Encore 30-06 and Encore 50 cal Musket and with the exception of the 30-06 these are some equipment punishing rounds. The dual dovetail rings go in and turn 90 degrees and once you lay the scope in the rings the scope is at 90 degrees to the rings and it is locked in and will absolutely not go anywhere. There is no screw to come loose so I cant quite see why you would not trust the dual dovetails. I do have Badger rings and bases on my tactical guns. I have had a couple of rifles with standard Leu rings & bases and quick release but both of those styles have failed me. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tenguage View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenguage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2007 at 11:30
I have the exact same gun, a 700P .308. I put a SS16X and love it. I love the extra distance it gives and have no problems with reduced FOV, dim conditions, etc. I put Badger 1 pc. mount, 20 MOA and 1" Badger rings. Had a smith mount them and torque properly. I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China. If I ever change scopes it will be for a more powerful one, such as the SS20X or maybe even stronger.  I know most of the others may disagree.
scpd755 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scpd755 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 10:36

Hey guys I haven't taken your advice and run, been on night shift.  Gonna order the scope next week, hope to be on the range by mid sept when it cool down.  Thanks for all the advice, still looking into rings and bases.

Jerry

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic