OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Short Mag Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Short Mag Scope
    Posted: July/04/2007 at 11:22

Is the Burris Short Mag Scope (32mm) longer eye relief (5")worth it for my 7mm WSM?  Or should I just go with the Burris Fullfield II or Pentax Pioneer (42mm) with normal eye relief (3.5)? 

I'm looking at 4.5x-14x for all three.  Any feedback would be helpful. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 12:22
i tell you what i have a fullfieldII on my 300wsm and the eye relief on it is good enough for me havent had any issues with it hitting me it will smack the brim of your ball cap at times.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 12:24

Welcome to OT Little Buddy! 

I have a Burris Short Mag 4.5-14X and I would rate its optics fair at best.  Yes, it is a very compact scope, and this fact, combined with A/O allowing parallax adjustment down to 25 yds. and the fact there are very few good scopes truly suitable for rimfire use anymore, was the reason I chose it for a .17 rimfire.  For my use, it works fine, but as an everyday big game rifle, I would personally pass on this scope.  Even though it has the 5" ER, it is only at 4.5X, as ER is variable from 5 - 3.75".  ER in this scope is also EXTREMELY unforgiving at the higher end of the magnification range, so to me, 12X- 14X isn't very useful in this scope.  In other words, at the higher powers, if you move your head even slightly fore or aft of nominal eye relief, you quickly lose the FOV.  It also has pretty severe barrel distortion at most magnifications so lines are only straight in the center 25% or so of the image.  The image also loses sharpness pretty quickly from the center out to the edges of the field, resulting in a relatively small "sweet spot."  It also has a small FOV.  In short, combining high magnification in a super compact scope involves several optical tradeoffs.

Of your 3 choices, I would go with the FFII.  I have owned a Pentax Lightseeker scope before, and it was a nice scope, but I've never used the Pioneer, so I have no experience with it to comment.  But, I would avoid A/O or side focus parallax adjustment on a big game rifle entirely because when you're faced with a quick shot opportunity, you may miss the shot if your parallax adjustment is set at 400 yards and the trophy of a lifetime steps out at 25.  Often shot opportunities don't afford you the time to fiddle with parallax adjustment, and once you go up to 14X, most scopes have either A/O or SF parallax adjustment. 

If it were me, I would just get a good 2.5-10X scope, which has more than enough magnification for any "normal" big game hunting anywhere and once you go down in magnification, you can get better optics for the same $.  For example, within the same or slightly more $ as the scopes you selected, by dropping down a little in magnification and losing the parallax adjustment, you can get a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10X40 or Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X42, both of which are optically superior to those scopes, plus offering 4X zoom range and wider FOV.  If long eye relief is very important to you, the Nikon even has 4" of ER.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 16:18
1+ good post RifleDude......especially the last suggestion. That would really be some better optics for money spent.

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Little Buddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 21:52
Excellent informationI  I Thank All of You for the time spent in offering me some things to think about.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic