OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold mark 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold mark 4
    Posted: September/20/2004 at 14:27
i was curious is anyone here has use the mark-4 in a 40mm objective config if so how does this scope compare to other manufactures 50mm+ objectives.... HOW do you like your mark 4 if u have one? i have alos heard that the mark4's available to the public are wire football mildot reticles although i believe they are laser etched circle mildot i have not been able to confirm that.. anyone wanna help out?

Edited by Manuel
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 17:05

i beleave they are excellent scopes, and im pretty sure they're laser etched.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 17:08

im interested in the pr

for my htr u think i would ike it?

Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 17:09
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 17:12

yeah, its one awesome scope. can only use mildot at 14x though.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 18:32
hey cory have u personally used that scope?

Edited by Manuel
Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 19:34
im looking for scope in the 500-800 dollar range.. i would wait for the Xotic but i cant wait that long... its gonna go on my hs precision htr 2000 in .308 if anyone has had experience with this scope please advise http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU56130/leupold_mark_4_ pr_4.5-14x40.htm
boisedarc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boisedarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 19:54

Manuel,

I have a similar gun to yours and I am shooting a Mk-4 10x. I have looked at the PR line of scopes, they look pretty good, They are the vari-x III with a new name. I think you would be happier if you could find a good used Mark 4 fixed power, these are the true MK 4 scopes. They can usually be found for 700-800 dollars. I do have to admit I am looking strongly at trying out the X.O.T.I.C USS scope, sounds like alot of scope for the money, hopefully they'll produce a 42mm objective version. Should you decide to buy a MK 4 PR scope you will not be dissapointed, its still a Leupold!!!

Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 20:03
i guess my question is .... this gun is obviously not gonna see combat its just need to withstand many weekends shooting paper with the .308  boisedarc.... how does the image quality of the pr compar to all the other mark 4 lines
boisedarc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boisedarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 21:09

Manuel,

The overall clarity is excellant, as is every leupold I've ever handled. If punching paper is your poison, then I think you are making the perfect choice with the MK 4 PR 4.5-14. Its pretty nice to be able to turn it up to 14x when shooting for groups. I have a .257 roberts that I use a Vari x III 6x18 on, and love it. So in short, I cant think of a scope for the same price that would be better in any way optically, adjustment precision, or durability than the scope you are asking about. There are some other scopes that are on par as far as clarity such as the bushnell elite 4200, but you wont get all of the same features such as side focus and mil dots on one scope like the leupold offers.

Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 21:20
cool... basically i just need reassurance that im not gonna waste my money on the m4 pr 4.5-14 and wont allow my rifle or me for that matter to show true potential... i basically would like to shoot LE  ranges/distances for grouping... and way on out to 1000 yards for slamming metal targets... does anyone know the adj range for this scope? also will that 40mm obj hamper anything as opposed to a 50mm or 56mm another concern is taracking and repeatabiltiy
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 22:15

i have shot a couple guns with the PR's on them, and was about to get the 4.5-14 myself for my AR15 when i stumbled apon the SS forsale. i guarantee you would be just as happy with the SS as any other scope.........if only they had the leupold BDC's on them.

cory

boisedarc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boisedarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2004 at 17:08

Manuel,

I am not positive on the adjustment range, but with the .308 you will be fine out to 1000yds if you use a tapered base. As for the 40mm objective, it will not hamper anything except for low light shooting. Not saying the Mk4 with a 40mm isn't good at lowlight, but the bigger the objective the more light it will gather. Alot of cheaper scopes will have the large diameter objective so they can attempt to make their scopes look brighter and cover up their cheap optics. Remember the larger the objective the further the center line of your scope is off of your barrel. Most top quality tactical scopes as well as benchrest scopes will have a 40-42mm objective. Cory, the SS line of scopes are great scopes, however I think that for manuels purposes a Variable power scope is a much better choice. A 10x SS isn't very practical for shooting groups past 500yds, a 16x or 20x scope will give you fits at 100yds.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 14:33

well, i have to say, that i know quite a few people that shoot at 500 yards, not nessecarily for groups, but for accuracy. i shoot my ar15 at 600 yards with 69MK's, and have been getting around 2 1/2- 4" groups, it all depends on wind.

cory

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 14:36

also, the bigger objectives only make for a larger exit pupil, and DOES NOT mean that the scope is going to be any brighter than a smaller of the same scope.

cory

boisedarc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boisedarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 18:14
Exit pupil refers to the size of the light cone that exits, the larger the exit pupil the more light it will gather, this is what I was getting at. It is not at all impossible to shoot for groups with the 10x at longer ranges, but its a whole lot easier with more magnification. Go to a shoot and see what powers are being used, you will find mostly 36x with some 24x as well. The reason is if you take a rifle equipped with a 10x and line it up on target and shoot it, even though you think you are rock steady you are not, if you shoot the same set up with a 24x scope you will see just how much you are moving, due to heart beat, breath, etc. When shooting my .308 with the 10x scope I rarely ever notice any heart beat movement, however when I shoot my 6ppc with the 24x I can see the movement everytime, allowing me to shoot at the same time consistantly.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 19:43

i go to plenty of shoots, and i know what they use, and i often go there, and compete with a 10x scope, and have no problem at all. i am aware that most people are shooting higher powers, but i dont beleave its nessesary. and i dont think manuel is planning to use this for shooting tight little groups at 500 yards, but instead for accuracy, i beleave there is 2 differences. unless you are a benchrest shooter, or shooting pdogs at long range, i dont beleave in alot of magnification, when it jsut causes mirage.

cory

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 09:51

I have the scope in question.  It's mounted on a 700LTR via TPS base and rings. It's on a 20MOA base so, if my memory serves me correctly, I have about 65"@100yds of elevation. Way more than a .308 with a 20" barrel can take advantge of.  Really, no 20MOA cant is required, if the scope is mounted correctly, there should be enough elevation adjustment to get you out to 1000yrds (depending on load, bbl length).

I like the scope, the side focus adjustment is fairly course or fast. 

The optics are not as bright as a 4200 4-16x50 but on par with the 40mm 4200. I would say that any high quality 50mm will appear brighter if the glass is sufficient to take advantage of the extra light transmission that is available with the larger bell.  Therefore, if your question is: "Will the index matched Mk4 40mm appear brighter than a top-of-the-line 4200 Elite or Nikon 50mm (same magnification)?"  I would say; "no".  It does have much better eye relief.

I did'nt spend the extra $$$ for the mil-dot for the reason cory posted about. 

I typically have the elevation turret cap removed.  One of the annoying things for a scope designed to dial out drop. I would prefer a permantly exposed adjustment on this particular rifle.  So far, the RTZ is repeatable.

Edited by Boomholzer
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2004 at 17:05

NICE GUN, im now drooling.

cory

Kpfjaeger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kpfjaeger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 20:18
the diameter of the scope's objective lens has nothing to do with how much light it gathers...coating has a little...quality of glass has something to do with it...and main tube diameter has the most to do with it...30mm tube is ALOT better than 1 inch...i have not used the leupold mark 4 but am hoping to buy one because i don't feel like spending 2500 on the UNERTL that i used in the Marine Corp...

-Jay
Marine Scout/Sniper: A Marine highly trained in Field Skills and Marksmanship who delivers long range precision fire on selected targets from concealed positions in support of combat operations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic