OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper focus problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatordome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper focus problem
    Posted: July/02/2007 at 19:43

Hello to the forum.  New member with first post here.  I ran across a problem today with a Super Sniper 10x with side focus, so thought I might run it by the forum to see if anyone has some advice.

I bought the scope new a couple of years ago but only recently started using it.  I had it on an M1A for a range session or two and it worked to perfection.  Last night, I mounted it on a Winchester 70 300 Win Mag and took it to the range today.  I shot a few rounds at 25 yards to make sure it was on paper and then attempted to shoot at 100 yards.  The focus knob would turn, but the focus stayed at 25 yards.  Targets at 100 and 200 yards were just blurs no matter where the focus knob was set.

I called SWFA when I got home.  They told me that repairs should be covered under warranty and referred me to Bushnell for service.  I took the scope out of the rings to pack if for shipping.  Just for grins, I took it outside and started looking at things at various distances.  Apparently, the focus mechanism started to work perfectly again.  I could refocus at any distance.

So now I wonder whether I need to send it in since it started working again.  It was a hot, humid day (temp and humidity in the 90's in Florida), but it is supposed to work at any temperature.  Has anyone out there run into this problem with intermittent focusing?  If so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks.

Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 00:52

I have seen this exact thing happen to 2 other SS10X42M scopes and the problem was, heavy duty Tactical style rings will squeeze the rear portion of the tube too hard causing the side focus not to work until I loosened the rings or took them off.

I now crank down the front ring as hard as I want and then just tighten down the back without crushing or squeezing the tube too much.

Hope this info can help you from sending off a good scope.

What a great hobby!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 04:28

Welcome to The OT!!

I agree with 6, rings are to tight. 

Edited to add:

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
gatordome View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatordome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 08:10

Thanks, guys.  I'll remount it and pay more attention to the rings.

Go Gators!

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 09:31

My skin crawled when i seen the lizard above ( go Jackets ) although i am glad about the champion ship.

now about the post.

Thats interesting the a scope can be to tight.I have never thought it could be.I'mlearning someting now today thanks guys. I'll pay attention next time.I now know that tighten it untill it smokes then another 1/4 turn ain't right.

Thanks

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 09:32
welcome to the OT by the way
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 09:55

Gatordome,

When and where did you buy it?

gatordome View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatordome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 13:15

Hi Chris.  I bought the scope from SWFA in March, 2005.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 14:09

Ring cap screws are supposed be tightened to 12 in. pounds only.  Read the instructions Badger Ordnance has provided as they are very helpful.

I've seen the problem you describe happen to many side focus scopes since these "super tactical" type rings have hit the market.  Side focus scopes have a small internal lens that needs to move back and forth in the tube to adjust for parallax.  Super heavy duty rings (over tightened) can deform the tube enough to put this lens in a bind.

The SS scope's components all have a "spec" range that they have to fall between before they are passed.  Around the year 2000 there was a batch of M series SS scopes that had a combination of components that would cause the parallax lens to bind, easily.  A sample of these were dissected to determine that the scope tube thickness was at the upper end of the spec. range as was the internal focusing lens.  This combination left a smaller than normal gap for the lens to slide in.  The solution we implemented was to simply tighten all the tolerances for all components that were related to the problem.  The tolerances would make it close to impossible for the problem to be repeated and only in extreme over tightening circumstances would it be possible.  I have not heard of this happening since then, until now.

Any chance of it ever happening again was addressed in the Fall of 2005 when we completely revamped the internals of the SS line in preparation for the scopes to be used by the U.S. Army for their Designated Marksman units on M14s.  There were many things we wanted to improve and update and the Army's interest in the product made it that much easier for us to get the required permission from the Department of Defense to alter the scope.  The Army got "around" the first thousand of the new SWFA Super Sniper 10x42s late in 2005-early 2006.  They slowly worked their way into our inventory for civilians around the spring of 2006.

Although the latest models are not the same as yours, I would like to reproduce the problem in a controlled environment to see how much torque it takes then dissect it and take some measurements for comparison sake.........further more I would like to get the scope back here so that it does not find its way into someone else's hands at a later date and present a problem for them.  Send it to my attention with a copy of this thread and I will send you a new 2007 replacement.

SWFA, Inc.

Chris Farris

420 Century Way, #100

Red Oak, Texas 75154

Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 14:42
Now that's service
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 15:24

Great service from SWFA , Super Sniper is not the only scope that will have this problem I have done the same thing with variable scopes, not having anything to measure in pounds and just too tight and the vertical adj. may lock up. If you are using a laser bore sighter when this happens and have your gun in a vise as soon as you loosen the rear mount slightly you see a jump in the reticle you know you had it too tight.. Voice of experience on variables.

Duce 

Duce
gatordome View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatordome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 15:56

Thanks, Chris.  The scope will be on the way by the end of the week.  I appreciate your standing behind your products.  I'll know where to take future scope business - SWFA for sure.

For the record, I was using ARMS #22 low height throw lever rings.  I checked the ring alignment before mounting the scope.  The alignment looked pretty good so I did not lap the rings.

I did not check the torque on the ring screws, but am sure that it was over 12 in-lbs.  I have a torque wrench, so will be sure to use it in the future.

Thanks again.

Edited by gatordome
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 16:47

Chris is just partial to Gator fans......     

SWFA shows yet once again why they are the Gold Standard of optics vendors.

Glad Chris got you squared away.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 17:02

I hope you wrench reads in inch pounds and not foot pounds big difference there

Duce 

Duce
raddog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 21:24
I mounted a ss 10x rear focus in leupy standard rings then proceeded to adjust scope to get to zero through a bushnell bore sighter and the windage would just stop adjusting, so I loosened rings and tighten back up again and the problem went away.  Chris Farris have you heard of this problem and why does the elevation clicks not as audible as the windage or like the 16x I have?  Bought in 2005
gatordome View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatordome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2007 at 17:15
Chris - replacement scope came in this afternoon.  Thanks for the follow-up.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2007 at 17:22

Originally posted by raddog raddog wrote:

I mounted a ss 10x rear focus in leupy standard rings then proceeded to adjust scope to get to zero through a bushnell bore sighter and the windage would just stop adjusting, so I loosened rings and tighten back up again and the problem went away.  Chris Farris have you heard of this problem and why does the elevation clicks not as audible as the windage or like the 16x I have?  Bought in 2005

That's a new one.  I have seen the salt water waterproofing O-ring grease get on the click mechanism during assembly and it will make the clicks feel much softer.  Drop me a PM with your contact info.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2007 at 17:23

Originally posted by gatordome gatordome wrote:

Chris - replacement scope came in this afternoon.  Thanks for the follow-up.

Joe Williams View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2007 at 02:12
Wow Chris.. nice job.  As a frequent lurker, you just pushed me over the edge to finally register as a user and place an order... now just to figure out which one..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic