OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger Varminter Any Good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger Varminter Any Good?
    Posted: July/02/2007 at 08:34

I am finally going to get the varminter! Hoewever, stocks are virtually non-excistant in South Africa. I have tried every dealer I can get a phone number on. The 22-250 and 223 cal are still available here and tthere, but 243 cal, just not available, in any make!.

I was hoping to go for the Rem VLS 243.

A dealer has informed me that he is going to look at a deceased estate and there is a 243 Varminter. He thinks it is a Ruger. Will only know by Wed.

In the meanwhile, should it be a Ruger and in good condition, what are the comments about Ruger? I can only find Ruger Target on their website. Is this a varminter?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 11:51

The only Ruger Varminter I know of is a #1 single shot.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?functio n=famid&famid=42&variation=Varminter&bct=Yes& ;type=Rifle

They don't show them made in .243 now but I wouldn't be surprised if they did at one time. They are a very well made gun and quite attractive looking. Mine is a 45-70 Standard and is accurate enough for a big bore. It handles great and there is definitely something appealing about a single shot.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 13:20
okay i am looking at my book here and i see a m77 varmint rifle it looks to be the old style it comes with a 24" heavy barrel tapped for target scope bases and has a wider beavertail forearm, it was chambered in 22.250 .243 6mm 25-06 .280 and .308 and one variation of a .220 swift with a 26" heavy barrel my book is like 3 yrs old so the prices probably arent current but it shows NIB-$430 EXC.-$395 V.G.-$350 GOOD-$300 FAIR-$250 POOR-$200 and that was all i was able to find.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 13:32
The KM77VT MKII, currently known as the M77 MkII Target, I believe was once referred to as the "Varmint/Target."  Regardless, I've heard it sometimes called the Ruger M77 Varmint.  It is available in .243, so I'd bet this is the rifle your dealer is referring to.  Ruger in general doesn't have a reputation for being among the more accurate factory rifles, and the ones I've seen didn't quite match up to the Rem and Savage varmint rifles in the accuracy dept, though they were still more accurate than the average sporter weight barreled rifle.  Of course, there are always exceptions, and having said that, I've shot some heavy barreled M77s and No. 1s that were exceptionally accurate, but getting a very accurate one is luck of the draw when it comes to factory rifles in its price bracket.  This particular rifle has a better trigger than the regular sporter weight M77, but it isn't as good as the triggers on some of their competition, IMO.  It is a decent, dependable rifle, and how it stacks up against its competition overall is really a matter of personal preference.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 15:10

Thanks for all the feedback. I will have to wait and see what the dealer comes up with. I cannot buy twice, so looks like if it is a Ruger I will give it a miss. I will ask if he has any photographs of the rifle and see if any of you can ID it or comment further.

I am looking for a really good accurate rifle to use in target shooting.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 16:27
im with ted here i have only owned two ruger's one i bought for the wife and the other i just got, and so far the accuracy hasnt been great but there is something about the feel of the ruger that i really like, an aftermarket trigger and action work if you know a smith that works on rugers and maybe a new stock and then maybe you could talk about target shooting, a savage or a remington will be worlds apart better imo out of the box. but sometimes when you get presented the deal of a life its hard to judge value vs product, like tahqua said they are well built are they match grade no.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 16:36

My experience regarding M77's has not been real good either. An M77 in 30.06 was 2 moa on a good day and I gave it away. The M77 in .22 WRM I still have will only shoot moa with one available round, standard Winchester silver box 35gr. That's good enough for night time coyotes at less than 100 yards.

If you want a tack driver I would look at a different gun.

Good luck with your search.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 04:03

Ok, phoned the guy today. It is a Ruger Varminter with a Tasco Titanium 30x scope. I said I'll phone him again if I am interested.

I then phoned my local gundealer and TA-TA-TAAAAA ordered a Remington VFS left hand with a Bells and Carlson stock!!! Finally wore the wife to a frazzle with my constant phoning looking for a second hand etc etc.

Now the downer: In South Africa the gunlaws are such that we first have to be declared competent to own a fire arm. This will effect all gun owner from 2009, but to purchase a new fire arm now you have to have the certificate (since 2004 this law started). I have done all my examinations etc in April 2007. I phoned my local police station, and he still has my application on his desk!!! I flipped and hopefully he has now submitted my competency application to the Board.

Once I have that, only then can I apply for my new fire arm license.

The other hassle is that this Rem has to be ordered from the States, which can also take 3 months. I do not know how it works. I think they use rowing boats or something!

I have ordered a Timney trigger for my Sako about a month ago. The dudes cannot even tell me if it is on its way yet or anything. We are not really such a backward country, we have first world communication systems, airports, roads and the works. Even cars! But people!!!! They just drive a person mad, or am I the impatient one?

Anyway, I have taken the leap and in about 3 months or more I will bore you all to death with my new baby!!!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 08:41
man im glad i live in the usa, i have a hard enough time waiting for ups to deliver my new rifle to my ffl which is usually only 2-3 days i cant imagine months going by.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 12:32
I'm surprised to hear such negative experiences with the Ruger.  I've had very good experiences with them.

• My dad's older heavy barreled .243 cal M77 will put Nosler Ballitstic Tips into 1/4 of an inch without any trouble.
  • I had an .243 M77 with a sporter weight barrel that shot right at MOA. I'm sure I could have made it shoot even better with some careful handloading but my brother-in-law's father fell in love with it and offered me more money than it was worth so; I sold it to him.
  • For a while I had another of the older, heavy barreled M77s though, in 220 Swift.  It would shoot at a little over 1/2 inch.  The only problem I had with it was that it was so heavy. I sold it to some kid who was more willing to pack it around than I.
  • My uncle has an "all weather" M77 Mk II in 7mm Rem Mag that shoots right at around 1/2 inch. 
  • I have a M77 Mk II Compact Rifle in 7-08 that is putting 120 gr. Barnes XLC's into 1/2 an inch.  I'll be playing with this load some more as I'm sure I can get this down even further. This result was achieved (with a stiff load of Varget) with the first load I tried with these 120s.  I'd tried a few loads with 140 and 154 gr bullets with O.K. but not fantastic accuracy (i.e. hovering between 1 and 1/5 inches) but, these 120's seem to be the pill of choice for this rifle.
  • My uncle also has a M77 Mk II Compact Rifle, though his is in .243 and although I have not had a chance to see any measured results, I know that he has been very pleased with it as well.

Having already ordered your Remington, this is all a moot point but still, I had to get at least one good word in for the Ruger.  I gaurantee you that when I get around to buying another rifle, Rugers will definately be at the top of my short-list.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 12:35
dont get me wrong i like rugers too but i know they arent a m700
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 14:08

I don't want to give the impression I'm anti-Ruger either.  In fact, I like the Ruger M77 action and love the No 1s.  I really like the stock design, checkering and trigger improvements Ruger has made with the new M77 Hawkeye.  I currently own 3 M77s (2 old style and 1 MK-II), a No 1, a Mini-14, a 10/22, and a Blackhawk revolver.  The M77s shoot o.k. overall  -- about 1.5 MOA or so, except for my custom Shilen barreled M77 MKII in 7mm-08, which shoots less than 1 MOA.  My No 1, even though I love falling block single shots, is AT BEST a 2.5 MOA rifle.  The Mini-14 in typical Mini-14 tradition, couldn't even remotely be considered accurate, even though it's fun to shoot.  My only point about Rugers in general is that in my experience, the typical Rugers I've shot weren't quite as accurate as some other competing rifles, and specifically, the Ruger heavy barreled varmint rifles wouldn't shoot as well as the numerous varmint rifles from Savage and Remington I've shot and their triggers have been seriously lacking compared to competing rifles as well.  Persistent complaints about their non-adjustable "lawyer" triggers is what prompted Ruger to redesign the trigger for the M77 Hawkeye, which still doesn't stack up to the Rem 700 and Savage Accutrigger IMHO.  My experience mirrors many others I've talked to as well.  There are always exceptions when it comes to factory rifle accuracy, though.

Heck, I even have a custom stocked M77 (old style) with an absolutely STUNNING piece of English walnut.  The pics simply cannot do justice to the wood on this rifle!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 14:14
thats a beauty ted and from what i am reading about the new mini 14 they are very much an accurate rifle now.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 14:21
Yes, they have made improvements to the accuracy of the new ones, specifically the target model with the adjustable barrel tuner, much like the Browning BOSS.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 14:24
i call it a potato
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 16:38

Generally Ruger has a good name in South Africa. I just cannot get this wrong. It is not so much the rifle as the license.

So I will rather go with the tried and trusted. The second hand rifle is also scoped, and I have a scope. So the price for the second hand rifle (with scope)will be 75% of a new.

I have been looking at the Remington for a while.

I was just hoping that I would get rave reviews (on the Ruger) and it is a must buy and that the second hand price was right.

Not to be and I am sure a year from now I will be a happy guy.

And I am really looking/hoping for what you guys call "bug hole" accuracy!!

Rifledude, that is really nice wood on your rifle!

Edited by 8shots
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic