OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Final 4 - I need help deciding!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final 4 - I need help deciding!
    Posted: September/19/2004 at 22:47

I'm trying to make a final decision on which scope to put on top of my SS Tikka T3 in 7mag.  I will be using it for longish range Elk here in Eastern Oregon, but I might also use it for Blacktails and maybe even the occasional coyote when I don't feel like using my .270.

I have narrowed it down to the following and would love to hear opinions on them -  my primary concerns are: optical clarity and contrast, brightness, durability, and warranty/customer service.  Value is important to me also.  How would you rank 'em?

Bushnell Elite 4200 (4-16x40ao)

Burris Fullfield 2 (4.5-14x42ao)

Weaver Grand Slam (4.5-14x40ao)

Sightron (4-16x42ao)

Any help is very appreciated!

Edited by Shamus
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2004 at 23:08

The Bushnell Elite would be my choice.  It is one of the brightest and clearest scopes made and they have a no questions asked return policy.

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 16:56

ditto, bushnell for me.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Shamus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 20:46

Thanks for the opinions, I am leaning that way too...

How's the customer service at Bushnell versus say Burris (since the Beretta takeover)?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2004 at 22:07

i think you get better customer service, and warranty when you buy the 4200, so, its kinda a toss-up, burris ussually takes awhile, but i really dont know, if i had to guess, id say the bushnell will have faster service, and you get one year to return it if you dotn like it, and a free gear bag.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 15:40

Bushnell Elite 4200 (4-16x40ao)

Weaver Grand Slam (4.5-14x40ao)

Burris Fullfield 2 (4.5-14x42ao)

Sightron (4-16x42ao)

cdogg79 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdogg79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2005 at 18:14
   I like the Sightron.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2005 at 18:51

I don't like a hunting scope that has a AO.

Go with a Conquest.(That's my answer for everything!!!)

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2005 at 14:53
Bushnell Elite 4200 would be my choice, followed closely by Sightron.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2005 at 12:46
They are all good scopes bit I like the 4200!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2005 at 12:55

All good scopes and will work great for your purposes.  Personally, I am a big fan  of Sightron scopes and that would be my choice.

A couple of other other considerations are reticles and eye relief.  Tikka T3 is pretty light so I would try to go for longer eye relief to avoid gettung hammered by the scope.  Sightron has the most eye relief among the scopes you mentioned (3.6").  It is followed by Burris (3.8-3.1"), then Weaver (3.5-3.0"), than Bushnell (3").  That is mostly the reason why I never quite warmed up to Elite 4200 scopes.  I am a stock crawler, and pretty much all Elite 4200 scopes I've tried have less eye relief than I like.

Another thing is the reticle.  Sightron is also available with a MilDot and Burris is available with Ballistic Plex.  That might make a difference for longer shots.  Weaver and Bushnell can only be had with a duplex reticle, I think.

Ilya

bratman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bratman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2005 at 23:18
I would fork over the 20-30 more bucks and get a Burris Signature series which is more in line with your top choice in the 4-16x44. If you step down one step you could go for the 3-12x44 Signature for the same price as the 4200 and it doesn't have the adjustable objective which I have never cared for except on a target scope.
Glenn Taylor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic