OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

first post would like help scoping a new

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first post would like help scoping a new
    Posted: June/30/2007 at 18:34

I just got a new browning stainless stalker (pick it up and it just felt right) new it is time to scope it.  My budget for a scope around 400 dollars and definitly under 550.  Of course if I could come in for less for quality glass that would make me happy to.  In a scope I want it all bright, clear, sharp, good eye relief, and wont mess up the balance.  I was planing on using dednutz one piece rings to mount it but open to segestions.  I like scopes in between the 2.5-10 and the 4-16 or there about power ranges.  This is going to be a general purpuse gun whitetail and bear in pa and whatever I get a chance to hunt else where.

Love the board have been a long time lurker.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2007 at 20:19
251042 IOR 2.5-10x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                  IOR 2.5-10x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4a
  • 30mm
SWFA: $584.95
More Info... Buy Now
You should look at Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarch, Leupold, Zeiss Conquest also and see what features you like. Would you be comfortable with a tactical type scope as the same as above in the tactical line has the Mp8 reticle which I like very well.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2007 at 05:30
Your budget puts you right in the range to afford any of the top mid line scopes. Bushnell 4200's are my pick as best for the price. New monarchs are still not here.........big sky sightrons are another brand to look at. Conquests are my favorite for mid line scopes with all features considered........leupold and burris would also be an option. Look thru as many of these models as possible and let your eyes decide which is best for you and your hunting needs.

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2007 at 07:20

I'm assuming your longest shot will be around 100 yards or so??

http://www.swfa.com/pc-5762-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle- scope.aspx

Etched #4 reticle and 4" fixed eye relief would be a great scope for you and your budget. 

Welcome to The OT!!!

swany View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2007 at 18:10

Here are the scopes that have kind of caught my eye but i haven't made any final decisions yet.  Where I hunt all kinds of differnt shot present them selfs the longest being 250 yards or so.  Another gent and myself have exclusive rights to 400 acers of land that sits right beside 800 acers of army corps land that is no hunting.  I've always hunted game lands the first day in real thick stuff use an open site 30/30, then spend the rest of season off on the private property.

423944M Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                  Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
SWFA: $259.95
More Info... Buy Now

422146M Bushnell 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Fire Fly
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Free Flash Light w/ Purchase
SWFA: $399.95
More Info... Buy Now

422152M Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4a w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
  • Side Battery Housing
SWFA: $479.95
More Info... Buy Now

424164M Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free 5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase

251042 IOR 2.5-10x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 05:09
i'd go somewhere and check out the conquest and 4200 elite 3x9's and choose between the two for a deer rifle. No AO to have to deal with and excellant optics and features.

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 15:13
Hi Swany......................I will agree with some of the above posters. In your particular price range, you have excellent choices from which to make your final choice. Needless to say, all of us have our personal preferences. However, the final decision will rest with your eyes!............The best choices in your price range are,,,,,,,,,Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, and Bushnell. You need to look through each of these and compare for yourself, in order to make your final decision..............Prior to my purchase earlier this year, I looked through and compared these very scopes. All will do the job successfully in the fields or on the range! I have no loyalty with any scope manufacturer and made an honest evaluation as to which scope gave me the best value for the money................When looking at the pros and cons of each and take everything into consideration, including the price, my final choice was the Bushnell Elite 4200 with the excellent Rainguard feature!.......When looking through and comparing the 4200 and the Conquest side by side, I could not justify paying an additional $100 for the Zeiss Conquest................The Leupold VX111, when compared to the 4200, is simply more money. There is nothing to be gained by going to the Leupold and spending more! Many will say that the optics on the 4200 are even better. I will agree!!!................Likewise, I saw no real advantage from the Nikon Monarch to overrule the 4200!!!....................After reading the various articles on the 4200`s, I will concur, that for the money, the Elite 4200`s are the best scopes on the market. In their price range, nothing is better optically or as durable!!!!!......................Have fun shopping!!.........Big Squeeze!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 15:17

I'd leave the AO or the side focus off my big game rig, if it were me.

I would also try to stay with the 3-9 or 2.5-10 power ranges too.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
swany View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 16:56

Hey thanks for the feedback I've got more questions though.  What do you think of the firefly and illuminated recticels.  Around here finding the different scopes to look through is a pain and finding two of them in the same store is next to impossible.  I was also wondering if a 50mm scope gathers enough light to justify the weight.  This gun will be used on some backpack hunts in the future.  I kind of wonder why everyone obsesses with rifle wieght, there are so many cheaper places to cut wieght.  Anyway i have tons of long range hiking experence and just started to think about combining the hiking with the hunting.  Love the site kind of watched from the shadows for a long time before i decided to post.

Thanks 

Swany 

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2007 at 03:38
Swany,,,,,,,,,,,I do not have the firefly recticle in my 4200! Under all normal hunting hours, the 4200 without the firefly recticle should be sufficient!!! I have read nothing but good things about the firefly and believe, should you purchase the 4200 with the firefly, that you will not be disappointed!.........In my honest opinion, the 50MM objective has little to no advantage over the 40MM. Yeah, the 50MM may gather in a tad more light, offers a slight fraction more for FOV, but in reality, offers no real advantage for hunting or range work. The extra cost of the 50MM is not justified........Stick with the 40MM and keep your weight down............An extra pound or two in rifle weight, can add up over a hard days hunt. Your Browning Stalker, compared to other rifles, is a nice lighter weight gun. A 50MM would add a few extra ounces! Why go the extra weight and spend more, when you don`t need to!!!!!!......Extra weight in the field does make a difference, especially in the harsher terrains!!!..........Earlier this year, I sold my 9 lb. 10 oz. w/scope Vanguard, chambered in my much loved 300 Win. and acquired a new 7 lb. 5 oz. w/scope Ruger M77 Frontier 2, 300 WSM with the 16.5" barrel........That reduction of 2 lb. 5 oz. in weight, made a big difference for me in the field and at the same time, gave me a much better handling rifle.......................Big Squeeze!  
swany View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2007 at 10:52
Have any of you tried dednutz one piece rings and if so how do you like them.  For some reason I'm sold on one peice mounts but being new to this the more feed back i get the better.  After looking at a zeiss and a 4200 side by side I've decided to go with a bushnell.  Now I'm just trying to figure out if I want one with Firefly or not and what power range. 
rlj2357 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlj2357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2007 at 22:24

Haven't used a Dednutz... I think they are new to the market... I really like the idea of fewer pieces to loosen up and cause problems though. Another nice setup are the Talley lightweight one piece setup... it's two total pieces instead of four... the bases and rings are one part. I've used these and really like the setup. It looks like you have settled on a scope, but dollar for dollar right now, I don't think you can possibly beat a model 6526 Nikon Monarch, or the model 8435 Nikon Primos 3-9x40. Both have the BDC reticle, the 6526 is one of the discontinued (Nikon is upgrading their Monarch line) Monarchs... actually the new model 8435 is the same scope renamed (and at SWFA you get a lens pen thrown in for free). For under $220, I don't think they can be equaled by Bushnell or Sightron, not to mention the patheticly over priced Leupy's... IMO. It sounds like you are well on your way to a real nice setup... best of luck in the field this fall.

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2007 at 13:00
Hey Swany..........................So!!! You looked through the Zeiss and the Elite 4200 and decided to go with the Elite 4200!!!!............I am not a bit surprised by your assessment! I did the same thing before I purchased my Elite, as the Zeiss Conquest was one of my final choices!!!.......The Zeiss 3x9 was $399 and the Elite 4200, (on another site) was $299,,, which I paid.............Obviously, like me, you could not justify the extra $100 or more for the Zeiss!!!...............There are many people out there, who simply associate the Bushnell name, with cheaper, lower quality scopes. A typical stereotype! Over recent years, with new technologies, innovations and so on, Bushnell with their 3200 and 4200 series, has truly turned things around. No doubt, a complete 180!!!........Enjoy your new Elite!!................................Big Squeeze!   
senewell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2007 at 16:04
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

251042 IOR 2.5-10x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                  IOR 2.5-10x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4a
  • 30mm
SWFA: $584.95
More Info... Buy Now
You should look at Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarch, Leupold, Zeiss Conquest also and see what features you like. Would you be comfortable with a tactical type scope as the same as above in the tactical line has the Mp8 reticle which I like very well.

I own the IOR pictured above, and I can tell you that I am 100% satisfied.  It is has a sharp enough picture that identifying .243 bullet holes on plain vanilla target paper at 100 yards is no problem, at any time of day.  Brightness is also very good, but the sharpness will blow you away.  No "cheap" scope will compare to the IOR.  Eye relief is very good and is not variable, and the adjustment knobs are first class.  This is a very solid and very high quality scope. 
My immigration policy: "Good fences equal good neighbors," and lining the border with snipers equals no immigration problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2007 at 16:20

Originally posted by swany swany wrote:

Have any of you tried dednutz one piece rings and if so how do you like them.  For some reason I'm sold on one peice mounts but being new to this the more feed back i get the better. 

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6699&PN=1

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic